• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Any anchoring Pro's out there.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Anchoring.jpg Ok here is my dilemma. The one beach/cove we go to has a HELL of a current. I am easily able to pull up to the beach and put an anchor from the front of the boat in the sand. BUT due to the huge drop off, the rear of the boat may be in 5/6 feet of water, Problem is that current always spins me out. The channel isn't real wide so there are always boats within 5 or so ft coming past the rear of the boat, so imo a rear anchor isnt feasable. Any ideas on what I can do to prevent from spinning out. I drew a HORRIBLE diagram for you guys to check out and see what i mean. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Tried backing into the beach rather than pulling forward?

I could but then wouldnt the front (actually the rear now) spin out, just like the back was ?

Anchor parallel to the beach, nose into the current?

You could get shore spikes and tie one to each of the middle cleats to form a triangle from the front. But an anchor off the rear into the current so that the current is pulling against the anchor bite would work too. I have done this many times.

Here's a quick diagram. Option 1 is shore spikes (or anchor could work I suppose)\
Anchor.jpg

Last edited:
Try beaching the rear of the boat. Then run the anchor from the bow, back to the beach on the opposing side of the current. This is how I do it on the river.

I run into this often.
You can pull up onto the beach more and sometimes the added weight on the beach will hold you.

You can run a stern anchor off your rear cleat and toss it up wind/stream parallel to the beach, this leaves it out of the way of other boats passing in the channel but may not be possible because of boats beached next to you.

You can run your anchor to the beach from the rear cleat on a 45 degree angle and spike it into the sand. Run from the up wind/stream rear cleat.

You can also pull onto the beach at an angle towards the wind/current.

20150527_105932.jpg This is how I anchor in heavy current on the main channel of the Mississippi. One anchor from each rear cleat 45 degrees up onto the beach. If possible I try to toss the anchors into some vegetation to combat them pulling out due to large boat wakes. Works well for me.

All good options. Gonna have to see which one works best. may get some shore spikes, but damn there expensive......I may use some horseshoe spikes. then the spikes can be used for some horshoes and anchoring at the same time

This is how we beach in tight areas on the river.

20150527_111237.jpg

I have the same issue when we anchor on the bay side of Assateague Island with the sudden drop off. The current is compounded by wake from fairly heavy traffic on weekends traveling down the channel, the prevailing wind all of which conspire to turn the boat parallel to the shore no matter how I pull in bow first or stern first. Also on a crowded weekend sometimes the other boats are fairly close so any kind of sideways turn due to the factors above can be an issue.

My solution is I turn the boat stern in first and use my shore spike hooked to the upwind/up-current transom trailer eye with a danick hook and I use my box anchor off the bow connected to the bow eye with a danick hook. The stern in first allows the ladies to access the boat and beach in shallow water and the danick hooks allow me to adjust the lines according to the tide. Also I was mildly concerned that if I reversed it bow first with the box anchor on the stern that a really big wake might swamp the swim platform in the deeper water.

I have the same issue when we anchor on the bay side of Assateague Island with the sudden drop off. The current is compounded by wake from fairly heavy traffic on weekends traveling down the channel, the prevailing wind all of which conspire to turn the boat parallel to the shore no matter how I pull in bow first or stern first. Also on a crowded weekend sometimes the other boats are fairly close so any kind of sideways turn due to the factors above can be an issue.

My solution is I turn the boat stern in first and use my shore spike hooked to the upwind/up-current transom trailer eye with a danick hook and I use my box anchor off the bow connected to the bow eye with a danick hook. The stern in first allows the ladies to access the boat and beach in shallow water and the danick hooks allow me to adjust the lines according to the tide. Also I was mildly concerned that if I reversed it bow first with the box anchor on the stern that a really big wake might swamp the swim platform in the deeper water.

I was in OC this weekend, we froze our butts off and the tide was so low that the seacrets shuttles were running aground 1000 ft from the dock. We tried to go Sunday night but the shuttles stopped attempting to pick people up. Ended up at Fish Tails instead.

I also pull up on Assateague and back in when I can. But the anchor off the stern usually works for me.

@RobA We went to Secret's twice on Monday. At noon the water was so low we had to walk in from the far end of the moorings. We came back at 2pm and there was enough water for the tipsy taxi to pick us up. It is not our number one choice for a place to go but as windy as it was it was it was the easiest. We live here full time so it wasn't mission critical to go out this weekend but we had some friends in town that really wanted to give the boat a try...so we did. In the pictures you can see how low the water is...normally those bar stools are at least half under water.

My boat sits so low in the water I am a bit skittish about anchoring from the stern it wouldn't take a huge wave to come over the back...oddly enough when I looked for a picture of my setup at Assateague the only ones I had were bow first anchor from the stern...which I no longer do since I bought the shore spike.

Moored.jpg Moored2.jpg Secrets.jpg

We were actually able to make it to the dock with 10 people on board my 242 on Saturday night but they made me moor anyway. Dont be a stranger if you spot us on the water one weekend!

My boat has "Miss Mary" on the aft sides. Not looking to go back until later this summer.

Way over priced, to me it's a gimmick, Give me a cheap anchor and I can do more with it than that spike.

This is at the sandbar along the Barnegat Inlet. Throw the Danforth off the front, back in with the sand spike ready to go, then I jump off the back and drive the stake in. The current here can be really bad, but I've never had the spike pull out. I also bought the sand spike for the next larger size boat class just for this reason.

http://slideanchor.com/store/index.php/shore-spike.html

tn_100_1450.JPG

I have the shore spike made by slide...the small size which is quite large. There are cheaper options out there but I like the slide hammer that is built in. It can be set quickly and if you want to set it in shallow water you can do that as well. This anchor holds very well in the conditions I typically see so I thought it was well worth it along with the stainless steel danick hook it was $100 or so plus shipping.

Back