• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any better oil change deals out there?

this oil filter fits. 1.8 & 1.8 supercharged. and a jug of cheap synthetic

doing it twice per year, don't need anything fancy or expensive!
20220929_184532.jpg

Ford filter on a Yamaha. Like the days when Yamaha supplied the motors to ford for the SHO Taurus

Not starting an argument here. I feel Yamaha and probably most engine manufacturers do their R&D before launching a product for what is best in their engines. Personally for me, $54 for genuine Yamaha products isn’t bad as that’s what is recommended and holds the engine warranty in the owners manual.
No arguments, just facts.
If Yamaha Canada covered boats and skis for their 20 year warranty, I'd run Yamahalube for that coverage, but sadly they exclude them up here for some reason. That's why I switched to less costly oil and filters. And after seeing the oil analysis on Yamalube which is just basic conventional oil, any oil is as good or better. And Yamaha filters are made by Denso with cheap paper media - cheap $5 filters, so why pay more for less.

Just like cars, they all recommend their own brands because oil and filters are high profit items. But they also must allow other brands that meet the specs in the owner's manual. For my Yamaha engines, that's any 10w40 minimum API SG which is an old spec compared to newer SN+/SP specs which GTX meets.

Last edited:
this oil filter fits. 1.8 & 1.8 supercharged. and a jug of cheap synthetic
Yup those fit and work great...but they're not cheap up here - about $22 CDN each. If you can get them at a good price, they're highly regarded as good replacements.

Last edited:
That price on the kits under $50 from Walmart is a good deal. And for the amazon deal fulfilled by Port Yamaha, they are a very reputable dealer as well.

I do find it ironic about all of us that do our own oil changes and maintenance are digging to save and get kits under $50 or plugs a few dollars less. And then there are folks asking if an annual service for $400 is a good deal. OMG, a good deal is so relative.

And for anyone saying, that their time is worth so much more, really have not gotten it quite yet. I actually find it very rewarding doing my fall oil changes under the canopy of my boat lift with a six pack in the cooler and the radio on. Very relaxing and well worth doing before pulling the boat and rushing through it before the lakes freeze

took a chance with this supertech but "MADE IN USA" :thumbsup:

I'll prob run few weekends in the begining of the season and change it again.
20220929_191136.jpg

Maybe I've or you just been lucky. Before I order anything I search for deals as much as possible. Prices are literally the same, maybe a couple of dollars difference.

JetBoatPilot for plugs and oil kit is $106 shipped - nearly $30 higher than Amazon.

Yes shop around. I wait for the store to have a 50% off sale (usually spring and fall) on the oil and filters $30, plus another $32 for a box of 4 LFR6A (never found them cheaper). That's $62 CDN which is about $46 USD per engine. The Yamalube kit is $89 plus $32 for plugs so $121 CDN per engine. Same applies to my vehicles - 5 liters of 5w30 semi-synthetic and filter is $30.

I change oil/plugs 4+ times a year so waiting is a no go for me lol. (For reference I used 6 kits last year) Even if pay an extra $10, it's a convivence factor for me. Everything comes at once in one box to my doorstep. The Amazon kit with plugs/oil is typically $77, and I've seen it close to $55. It stays on my Amazon list and I just click re-order.

took a chance with this supertech but "MADE IN USA" :thumbsup:
I'll prob run few weekends in the begining of the season and change it again.
SuperTech is made by Champion so it's an average filter but just as good or better than the Yamaha. SuperTech oil is rumoured to be rebranded Warren or Mobil which is decent oil. Walmart buys the oil in volume to get discounts so it's cheaper than the big brands but just as good. It's all about making profit for them. Up here Canadian Tire is a nation-wide auto store that does the same thing - their house brand oil and filters are good quality made by the big guys.
:)

SuperTech is made by Champion so it's an average filter but just as good or better than the Yamaha. SuperTech oil is rumoured to be rebranded Warren or Mobil which is decent oil. Walmart buys the oil in volume to get discounts so it's cheaper than the big brands but just as good. It's all about making profit for them. Up here Canadian Tire is a nation-wide auto store that does the same thing - their house brand oil and filters are good quality made by the big guys.
:)
I run SuperTec 0W-20 full synthetic in both our cars. Consumer report review is great. Right up there with Mobil 1

Good conversation, and its great to know what others are doing to protect their investments. There's a lot of good experience here. Most of us on this forum comfortably fall in that middle ground between being sheep and recklessly finding anything that seems to work for the short term. These forums help cut through the myths and marketing to find the best solution. Thank you for your help.

I checked with local marine and automotive suppliers on plug prices and then pulled the trigger on the Watercraft II kit and NGK plugs kit I found earlier as the safest and most cost effective way to follow manufacturer's exact recommendations again this year. I'll absolutely send it back if I find counterfeit plugs. Thanks @212s for the warning as I wasn't aware of the issue.

Based on this thread, I did some deeper digging on oil comparisons between Yamaha and other brands. I haven't yet found anything like actual lab results yet but for what it's worth, I found this conversation which claims that at the Chicago packaging plant, Yamalube is the exact same product as other brands with a logo label. I'll keep digging to see if I can determine if the Citgo statement is true. Of course Yamaha and any other motor manufacturer would absolutely subcontract/source from an oil company, but the question is whether it really has additional marine protection properties. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/who-makes-yamalube-and-is-it-any-good.58312/

I always find that @JetBoatPilot has a fair deal on the kits. And you get to support an American small business.
Getting ready to do my 2nd oil change, and I have bought both kits from JBP. Great customer service and quick delivery. That said I am considering other filters and full synthetic oil.

Based on this thread, I did some deeper digging on oil comparisons between Yamaha and other brands. I haven't yet found anything like actual lab results yet
Someone posted an oil analysis that I copied...

Yam4w.png

That shows the oil is very generic and low-end with additives - like no moly. All oils have rust inhibitors and anti-wear additives so what could possibly be better than a good brand name oil?

The Citgo part is likely true, just an OEM oil supplier and Yamaha is probably just doing what all the big chains do.

Up until this past year I bought the kits from shopyamaha.com. My dealer gets credit for the purchase. Since the price of the kits went up a lot this year I bought a case of the one gallon jugs of Yamaha oil on Amazon. Best price varied, but I think it was sourced from Leaders RPM when I bought it. I also bought the Motorcraft filters, they were a lot less than the Wix ones. I will miss the paper funnel. ?

Jetboatpilot has oil & filter for $50 & shipping I’m sure
image.jpg

Back