• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any Ideas!!!

Dnickers9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
2018 212x 34 hrs.

This weekend went to start boat before going into water, the starboard (right) engine would just crank and not start. Opened the lid and it cranked over and started. While running both engines I would close the engine lid with regular pressure it would immediately kill the starboard engine and would not restart (just cranks) until I lifted the lid. I checked all the connections to the engine, fuel rail and injectors and didn’t find any loose connections. I also smacked with my hand, while engine was running, all these components with no issues. When you gently and slowly close the lid the engine stays running and will restart once shut off.

The engine cover has some dips that come down and are covered with a black foam egg crate. This bulge if it were deep enough would land directly of the fuel rail and injectors. That is the only thing that I can see being an issue, but I do not think it comes down enough to physically touch the engine since the foam looks to be unstitched. All other moving parts have plenty of clearance.

Any ideas?

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is interesting. I cant imagine a kill switch of any kind being installed on the Eng Compartment Lid. Only thing I could even remotely think to consider is that something is being "pinched" somewhere. Having said that though, your boat is quite a few years newer than ours so not much help here from me. Will definitely be watching the thread for other input.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Could be the cover starving your engine of air? Sounds weird, but the symptoms match...Can you do something temporary like cut the loose foam? or use some tape or glue to lift it? If the air flow is interrupted, that could cause the engine to not start or shut off.

Dnickers9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Could be the cover starving your engine of air? Sounds weird, but the symptoms match...Can you do something temporary like cut the loose foam? or use some tape or glue to lift it? If the air flow is interrupted, that could cause the engine to not start or shut off.
The engine intake/air filter is on the front of the engine and low in the engine bay. The air intake hose goes out to the starboard side and I can’t see anything that would be moving to contact it or obstruct it.

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got absolutely nothing. I suggest calling a dealer service department and see what they say. Sounds like a cut off switch went crazy or something but I have a 2018 and I lift my cover all the time and my engines keep running so that can't be it.

Please let us know when if figure out the issue.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
do you run your exhaust fan?
I also think either air starvation or we had one time someone exhaust hose was leaking starving the engine,

I also wonder if maybe when you open the hatch it flexes the fiberglass just enough to effect the kill switch on your cleanout hatch, that would be an easy thing to rule out, just have somebody hold the switches in while you mess with the engine hatch,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you may also update the title of this thread to better describe your problem and more members may open it and comment,

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Given the port engine starts and runs fine you can rule out starving the compartment of air (by blocking air intake into the engine bay).

Since strbd engine cranks but does not fire, I would think closing the engine hatch down somehow grounds the plugs? Like what the lanyard switch does (with lanyard removed).

--

Dnickers9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you all for the ideas. After playing around with the two switches in the clean out port hatch I’ve come to the realization it is a faulty switch for the starboard motor. Had to put a piece of foam to further depress the button and then slamming the hatch cover did not kill the engine. When I first opened the hatch the switch was sticking half way. Time to get back on the water!

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before replacing the switch see if it can be realigned. If you are able to put more of the switch further up, that may resolve it. Best of luck! glad you found it!

Edit: auto correct got me.

Last edited:

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all for the ideas. After playing around with the two switches in the clean out port hatch I’ve come to the realization it is a faulty switch for the starboard motor. Had to put a piece of foam to further depress the button and then slamming the hatch cover did not kill the engine. When I first opened the hatch the switch was sticking half way. Time to get back on the water!
Thanks for posting the follow on results Sir! This will certainly be on my list of things to remember should a unique situation like this come up again.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I forgot to mention, some people will tape a coin or two to the switch to help depress it while testing, as Bummer suggested you can adjust the height of the switch to activate properly,

Thanks for posting the follow on results Sir! This will certainly be on my list of things to remember should a unique situation like this come up again.
Somewhere on this great website (probably the FAQ) is a quick cheat sheet of NO Start check list, until you're really familiar with your boat it's a great resource,
When I was a new owner, my engines had a reputation for being very finicky about spark plugs, I was on the water, having fun, then one motor wouldn't run, I thought I had gone through everything, throttles in neutral and was already pulling out the tool bag to change the plugs when I happened to see the safety lanyard had been pulled out,

Knowing your boat can save you a lot of time and money, checking the oil before every outing and if you have water coming out the bilge or in the engine bay, is it hot or cold because that can lead you to the cause faster,

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This weekend went to start boat before going into water, the starboard (right) engine would just crank and not start. Opened the lid and it cranked over and started.
I would replace the switch you already identified as faulty. Those switches need to cut the starter off (no crank) when working properly (unlike the lanyard which cuts just the spark but engines will still crank).

--