• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any problems with Electric brakes?

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Right.....Most vehicles have just a 4 pin, or a 4pin AND 7pin. I'm not sure I've ever seen a vehicle with a 5pin.

Now....If Yamaha used a 5 pin it would require an adapter from the 7-pin to a 5-pin. You can't adapt from a 4-pin to a 5-pin and have it work.

SO....Looks like Yamaha did the smart thing and just started putting 7pin connectors on the trailer so that customers don't have to buy the adapter anymore, and it's likely a low or zero cost change on their end.

HOWEVER......it has the side effect of confusion that we're seeing here, since most 7-pin connectors are found on vehicles with fully electric, not surge style brakes.

99% certain you've got surge brakes, a 7 pin connector, and no reverse lights on the trailer.
Confirmed, my truck has the 4 pin and 7 pin.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What make and model is your trailer? I have a 2022 shorelander dual axel.
Mine is a Platinum aluminum trailer I ordered from FL earlier this year.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
My 2021 Shorelandr single axle for a 195S came with a round 7 pin. My trailer had surge brakes on it. Another tip for distinguishing between surge (hydraulic) and electric brakes is on newer trailers the break away connection usually has a battery on the trailer to initiate the electric brakes should the trailer leave the coupler. Hydraulic surge brakes usually use a mechanical connector/lever to apply the brakes should the coupler become disconnected. Again, if you have a lockout key on the tongue of the trailer, 99% you have hydraulic surge brakes.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Brake fluid going to the brake system should be another dead giveaway, If you see hoses going to the wheels, that's a hydraulic system. if only electric cables, there is an electric component for sure.

(Not sure how to recommend detecting electric over hydraulic, but it's the most expensive option you wouldn't have it without knowing I don't think)

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Brake fluid going to the brake system should be another dead giveaway, If you see hoses going to the wheels, that's a hydraulic system. if only electric cables, there is an electric component for sure.

(Not sure how to recommend detecting electric over hydraulic, but it's the most expensive option you wouldn't have it without knowing I don't think)
Electric over hydraulic will have a small 6ish inch box for a battery and a separate reservoir/pump with wiring and hoses coming in/out of it on the tongue of the trailer. Here is how mine is set up.45A95625-2F52-4856-ACB9-18729135EB40.jpeg