• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any reason not to go overboard on load rating on tires?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious I just ordered tires and even though the c rating tires are fine I went ahead and ordered 8 ply D rated tires anyway thinking they will be a little stronger and a little safer is this thinking correct? I have not heard of anyone on here yet with Kendra Load Star tires but I have had had success with them on my jet ski trailers and they tow great on it hoping to get the same results on the boat trailer.

Kendra Karrier ST205/75R14's

Specifications
Size ST205/75R14
Capacity 2,040 LBS @ 65 PSI
Ply Rating 8
Diameter 26.3"
Width 8.1"
Tread Pattern KR03

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Your boat trailer may bounce around a little more,especialy when the boat is not on it. But shoouldnt be a problem. The thicker the side wall the harder the tire will feel hitting bumps on the road.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I need to replace tires soon so I'm going to follow this.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious I just ordered tires and even though the c rating tires are fine I went ahead and ordered 8 ply D rated tires anyway thinking they will be a little stronger and a little safer is this thinking correct? I have not heard of anyone on here yet with Kendra Load Star tires but I have had had success with them on my jet ski trailers and they tow great on it hoping to get the same results on the boat trailer.

Kendra Karrier ST205/75R14's

Specifications
Size ST205/75R14
Capacity 2,040 LBS @ 65 PSI
Ply Rating 8
Diameter 26.3"
Width 8.1"
Tread Pattern KR03
Those tires came on my travel trailer, I bought it in 2010 and just replaced them last summer. I didn't have a problem with them, my rear axle was out of alignment when I bought it so the insides of those two wore really fast, but after I had it aligned they were good. If it weren't for those two being worn I would have waited another year to change them, the tread was still good and not dry rotted.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those tires came on my travel trailer, I bought it in 2010 and just replaced them last summer. I didn't have a problem with them, my rear axle was out of alignment when I bought it so the insides of those two wore really fast, but after I had it aligned they were good. If it weren't for those two being worn I would have waited another year to change them, the tread was still good and not dry rotted.
What tires did you replace them with and do you like the new tires any better?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When i bought our boat I changed trailer wheels immediately and went up a grade and went to radials. First tow was 790 miles and went without a problem.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The only thing I can think of as a potential downside is weight. The BFG KO2s I put on my truck (awesome tire) have a higher load rating (D) 2680# than the OEM Pirelli tires (2403#). They also added 60 pounds to my empty weight and cost me a mpg or two. If someone has an underpowered tow vehicle and a tandem axle trailer (four tires) it might matter.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What tires did you replace them with and do you like the new tires any better?
I got Maxxis radials, I can't tell a difference towing or anything they are doing great so far but I've only towed from FL to San Antonio with them so I can't really speak for longevity.
I've always heard good things about Maxxis, from this forum and a RV forum that I've been on for 5-6 years, that's why I went with those, and that's what I will put on my boat trailer this year.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got Maxxis radials, I can't tell a difference towing or anything they are doing great so far but I've only towed from FL to San Antonio with them so I can't really speak for longevity.
I've always heard good things about Maxxis, from this forum and a RV forum that I've been on for 5-6 years, that's why I went with those, and that's what I will put on my boat trailer this year.
@Wayloncle thanks. I cant remember if I ever told you this before but I crack up every time I see your quote in your sig that says "in the faster red option" lol if my boat still had the stickers on it identifying the model I think I would get a sticker made to go under it saying that.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to add, I've always been good about checking the pressures and at every stop I check them for heat and such. I'm one to believe that a majority of people's tire problems are from under inflation or overloading, or both.
I always keep mine within 5psi of the max pressure and I have never had a blowout or any trailer tire problems, and I have towed trailers a lot of miles over the years.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Wayloncle thanks. I cant remember if I ever told you this before but I crack up every time I see your quote in your sig that says "in the faster red option" lol if my boat still had the stickers on it identifying the model I think I would get a sticker made to go under it saying that.
Haha!
I saw a guy in FL last year that had a SX230 with same graphics as mine but it was blue, that's the only blue one like that I'd ever seen, he was an older man and said "nice boat! Wish mine was as fast as yours though, the red ones go about 15mph faster."