• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any side to side maintenance cost comparisons between a JB and a IB/OB Available

sho'nuff

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
So as some of you may know I am contemplating buying one of the Yamaha jet boats this upcoming season. Probably a 2015/16 SX240, but possibly one of the older models as well.

Lurking on this forum I have often seen many people assert that maintenance on a jet boat is easier and less costly than an IB/OB or straight outboard. I understand that there are fewer mechanical parts (e.g., no transmission, no lower unit, etc.) so there are fewer things to service, but it seems to me that the cost comparison might not hold up in the case of the dual engine models. I mean with two engines there should be twice as much maintenance, right?

Anyway, I would appreciate it if someone could explain where the cost savings really comes in with maintaining a dual engine Yamaha vs a single engine IB/OB. Even better would be a side by side comprison of typical yearly maintenance costs associated with both types of boats.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you going to maintain the boat yourself or have the dealer do it?

If the dealer maintains your boat the costs will likely be similar to other types. Most dealers do not give us a price break despite the actual costs being much lower.

What our boats need on an annual basis is an oil change which can either be completed using two $45 Yamaha oil change kits or using your favorite brand of oil and filter and new spark plugs. I spend around $80 on Mobil 1 oil, K&N Filter and spark plugs. After the last outing of the year I blow the water out of the jets and fill up the gas tank.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will this be your first boat?

The biggest cost savings is the knowledge this board and it's members can provide you with help maintain or fix your boat before it has to go a professional (or non-professional if you're unlucky enough).

The easy access to the engines and FAQ to help you do basic maintenance is a plus over some brands.

If your getting a V8 the oil and spark plug cost will be about the same for two 4 cyl's.

No "winterization or summeritzation" is required as we have members in Canada that just blow the water out without any issues.

I doubt you will see any side by side cost analysis as nobody will take the time to do that.

You do have 2 engines so that is twice the chance of having some type of problem but those are few and far between with these engines and if you do you still have one to get you home.

Last edited:

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My sea ray is off to have lower unit serviced for $400. Still have oil change to do myself. Having lurked for a few years, and being total in love with my boat, can't wait to make the jump to a jet boat for this reason. Good luck with the boat shopping!

sho'nuff

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Are you going to maintain the boat yourself or have the dealer do it?
I guess it depends on whether I buy new and if so, what the warranty says I need to do. If I can, I would like to do at least some of the maintenance myself. The only thing I would definitely have the dealer do is winter storage (they are right on the lake I am on, and so are the easiest place to store the boat).

sho'nuff

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Will this be your first boat?
Yes and no. I have had several other small boats, but I'm not sure they really count as they were all small aluminum fishing boats. I have also owned a few Yamaha Waverunners. But in a sense, this will be my first "real" boat that I have been responsible for maintaining.

The biggest cost savings is the knowledge this board and it's members can provide you with help maintain or fix your boat before it has to go a professional (or non-professional if you unlucky enough).
The easy access to the engines and FAQ to help you do basic maintenance is a plus over some brands.
If your getting a V8 the oil and spark plug cost will be about the same for two 4 cyl's.
No "winterization or summeritzation" is required as we have members in Canada that just blow the water out without any issues.
I doubt you will see any side by side cost analysis as nobody will take the time to do that.
You do have 2 engines so that is twice the chance of having some type of problem but those are few and far between with these engines and if you do you still have one to get you home.
Thanks for your thoughts. I guess my biggest worry is that if I do all of the maintenance myself that I will miss something or do it incorrectly and muck the boat up. But at the same time it is pretty hard to pay the dealer a small fortune to do that stuff.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I made the transition from a 3.0 liter V4 to my Yamaha. The 3.0 liter was easy to winterize as there were simply two hoses to remove and let drain...if you go bigger than a V4 then you start getting into a more complex winterization that often requires dealer intervention in the neighborhood of $300 - $400. I also paid to have an annual service/out drive service each year to the tune of $500 - $700.

Like others have said above you can stay below $100 for an annual refresh of the oil and spark plugs. Winterization is a breeze and there are plenty of owners that don't fog their engines so it really is blow out the water, tape over the drain holes and remove the batteries.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No matter how you compare, a Yamaha is cheaper. Adding a lower unit to the mix will
Likely throw the costs up an additional $400+ annually. And...given the complexities of an IB/OB, I always took it in vs doing it myself. I'm sure there is more help today than back then with the internet, but this forum will give you step by step and make the process simple. And you would be surprised...many guys have found service work either not done it done incorrectly by a dealer. So doing it yourself is almost 100% chance you don't do the same thing. And...doing this work yourself, educated you on your boat and makes the ownership experience far better. Good luck on the search and purchase!!!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Maintenance? what maintenance? I bought a Yamaha, i do upgrades man!!!
I change the oil and plug every year and even that's debatable.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You commented that you didn't want to undertake maintenance and potentially mess something up. There really is very little to mess up on the maintenance of these things. The plugs are on top of the engine. Screw them out and screw the new ones in, basically. Not much to mess up there (you will see debate over gapping plugs, adding antiseize--but even if you do/don't do those you will not 'mess up' anything that can't be fixed with another plug change). Oil? You get a sucker, suck it out through the dip stick and put back as much as you took out. Pull the filter (and make a mess the first time--everyone does--wipe it up...), a thin film of oil on the gasket and pop the new one on.

The only thing that is potentially special is adding grease to a fitting at the back of the engine, where the shaft goes to the impellers. Same Zerk fitting as a normal car lube. Pop a grease gun on with marine grease, pump slowly until you feel some pressure, and pop off the grease gun. Again, nothing to mess up (though if you overfill, that is bad--I worried about this one until I did mine the first time and then said, 'I was worried about THAT?!?').

You don't need to be up to rebuilding carbs or rebuilding trannys to take on these jobs. Besides, we are all here to help.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IO's need to have the lower unit gear oil changed annually; usually in the fall up north to see if any water has gotten in (expensive seal repair) and just for normal lubricant renewal. The lower unit water pump impeller should be changed annually. Anti freeze should be pumped through the cooling system. Along with this, every few years the drive line needs to be re-aligned, the drive boots/joints go bad, and so on. I expected to pay $1000.00 a year for winterization with my IO's' but it was almost always more. I can winterize my Yamaha myself, so now I pay for parts and beers. Much better!!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the dealer is doing it cost is likely the same. My 5.0 v8 I/O costs between 300-400 per year in the spring thats including plugs, oil in both engine and lower unit. The 400 year is every other year when I replace the impeller for the cooling system in the outdrive. I don't winterize as we only get a handful of freezing days here. I expect the Yamaha will cost more then that at the dealer for service but as others have mentioned I expect to do most of these items my self after this year as my warranty expires in May so this will likely be my last shot to get anything fixed under warranty.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't know why you would think the Yamaha would cost more than an I/O. It has no lower unit, no propeller, no rubber impeller, no freeze plugs, no winterization required at all. All the things guys "do" isn't required. Follow the guidelines and that is it. Yes, the dealers charge up to $400 and some more. But these dealers often have a number of boat lines they sell and service. They look at a boat as a boat...and a Yamaha has two engines. But comparatively, it is 8 spark plugs to 8 spark plugs, and the oil amount in a Yamaha isn't what a V-8 holds, so even times 2, its about the same, especially without the lower unit, no tilt, no power steering. You can buy all the equipment and the supplies to do the next 5 service intervals, not including plugs and oil/filter, and the greases will last the next 5...the gun, oil evacuator and misc. shop stuff will last from now on. And you will know your boat better by doing this yourself.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know why you would think the Yamaha would cost more than an I/O. It has no lower unit, no propeller, no rubber impeller, no freeze plugs, no winterization required at all. All the things guys "do" isn't required. Follow the guidelines and that is it. Yes, the dealers charge up to $400 and some more. But these dealers often have a number of boat lines they sell and service. They look at a boat as a boat...and a Yamaha has two engines. But comparatively, it is 8 spark plugs to 8 spark plugs, and the oil amount in a Yamaha isn't what a V-8 holds, so even times 2, its about the same, especially without the lower unit, no tilt, no power steering. You can buy all the equipment and the supplies to do the next 5 service intervals, not including plugs and oil/filter, and the greases will last the next 5...the gun, oil evacuator and misc. shop stuff will last from now on. And you will know your boat better by doing this yourself.
I agree and will be doing it my self starting next year and I'm basing my guess on what they charged me to service two skis last year with oil changes and plugs which was 300 each so I'm assuming they are going to try and charge me between 500-600. They will never touch the skis again since they are both out of warranty. The boat has a few things I want to try and get fixed under warranty that's the only reason I'm going to let them do the service while its there. The reason my i/o goes to the shop for service is I have no clue how to mess with that lower unit but the Yamaha eliminates that issue for me.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't remember if this was mentioned, but you can do your own service work and maintain your warranty. Just keep records of what you did and deceits do the parts required, such as oil/filters, spark plugs, grease.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm throwing them the bone in hopes I can talk them into updating the oil coolers ;)

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What maintenance? Oil/plug change annually. You will spend more time waxing and washing the boat to keep it looking clean and new, than mechanical maintenance. Even for a 2008 as seen below when it made it's annual trip to winter storage last October. Easy to maintain, much more work to keep pristine cosmetically....Wouldn't you rather spend time cleaning and waxing when out of the water?

The only thing expensive to replace? When you hit a rock or a log with your propeller, while racing through one foot deep water in your Yamaha. Those props are easily damaged and expensive to repair, just check out the prices:

http://www.westmarine.com/stainless-steel-propellers

Oops, sorry, wrong forum.......

By the way, these boats are so reliable I will never buy new. My third will also be a used model, if I ever decide to do so. Do not sweat buying one without a warranty as you won't need it. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Remember, as soon as your new boat touches the water, it is no longer new and good luck re-selling it without a loss in 2 years when you want another one.....

20151208_131729.jpg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must, however, note in defense of the question.

It is a very fair question. Some people do not buy a boat in order to become an auto/boat mechanic. Some people do not know how to change oil in a car--and frankly have no interest in that type of thing. Now, that is not me (I have rebuilt carbs, done brakes, U-joints--name it). But I know many people for whom turning a screw is the height of engineering prowess. Some folks just buy a boat to enjoy it, not to work on it (which for them, would not be enjoyment). For these folks, this is a very pertinent question.

I hate to say it, but the dealers price maintenance on our dear Yammi's the same as they would any other boat. Why? Because they can. Not because it does take that much effort and supply, but because everyone who has two engines pays $500/year for service, at least. Unfortunately, the fact remains: a Yamaha, while it may provide you the benefit of being able to do things yourself, will save you a couple hundred a year if you take it in, but not a whole boatload (every pun intended).

Now I, like others, will continue to encourage others to try to do some or all of this themselves. Because we who can do find it quite easy, and we are happy to help those who wish to embark on that journey. It really is fun. But, if that ain't your cup of tea, that is fine. Yours is still a fair question. You should still get a Yamaha and save a few bucks. But a very fair question.

scubarick314

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I am lucky that my local dealer charges $280 for oil change and spark plugs.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You need to locate a dealer that actually has Yamahas as one of its main lines. Those dealers that sell Yamahas as a sideline, along with other boats, have a tendency to not know Yamahas. For those on the eastern shore of MD/Delaware, is it any wonder why Shorts Marine no longer sells Yamahas? I paid 260, for complete winterization, and oil change. In the spring, they will blow out all the fogging oil, foul up the old plugs and then put the new ones in. For about 100 bucks more. Could I do this myself? Through help of this forum absolutely. But to me? Time is money and if the price is reasonable? I'm paying it. Then again, I deal with a Jet Boat exclusive dealership. Guess I'm lucky to have one in the area, no doubt one of the best in the US.

http://baysidejetdrive.net/