• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

anybody know about head liners?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my 1998 Toyota Avalon headliner has been drooping over the last few months. Yesterday it finally started hitting my head so it was time to address it.

I watched a few you tube videos and this morning despite a little hesitancy I removed and scraped the old liner clean.

I had it replaced about 7-10 years ago by "a guy" at the office. It looked good but I thought it should last longer. It left the foamy portion attached, the thin fabric had separated from the foam and drooped.

Does anybody know if there is a difference in fabric quality between buying from a fabric store or something online?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The headliners I have done the fabric was designed for headliners and had layer of foam attached to the fabric. Also, make sure you use good headliner glue, like 3M Headliner Adhesive.

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Use contact glue for countertops spray headliner and spray fabric let them both tack up than put together don't pull fabric to hard or it will start sagging later on harbor freight paint gun works good

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a 75 olds cutlas for a winter beater and when the headliner came down i just stapled it up. Lol
Hey dont judge me i only paid 25 bucks fot the car and it did me good for 3 years and i gave it to my aunt

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a time consuming job that can be handled by a shop for $100-$200. There are places specialized just on this job in Houston. I'm a guy that tries to do most everything on my own...this one is a job I would consider farming out. Do price it in your area to see, maybe it's not worth your trouble for the cost once everything is priced in. Best of Luck!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most people try contact spray adhesive but it hardly ever works.
If you want it to look right. Send it out

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
finished this job, thanks for the ideas,
since it was a 20 year old car I figured it was a good learning tool,

I bought generic headliner backed material from the local fabric store for $15. and used Permatex headliner spray for an adhesive (2 cans for total of $25.)

it took about 30 minutes to remove the liner, some items (the dome and passenger lights) were difficult to figure out as I didn't know if they were held on by screws or in with snaps

The prep work took about 30 min to remove the old glue

The application of the new liner about 30 min., a couple of fudge areas, a small crease near the rear and next to one of the sun visors didn't adhere well to the angle

The reinstallation was another 30 minutes with the hardest part being maneuvering it back inside the vehicle (you had to gently bend it while moving it inside) and two broken plastic fasteners and one lost metal snap.

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I applaud your courage. Well done.

Neutron