• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone else have paint chipping off their towers?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
:mad:The powder coat paint is chipping off my tower after not even a full season! One side has a huge chip that popped off when I pressed on it and the other side is showing signs it will lift soon.

Anyone else noticed this on theirs? Guess I'll put in a call to the dealer and tell them to file a warranty claim. Thankfully it's aluminum but the tower manufacturer doesn't even apply a primer coat, only top coat.

Attachments

Last edited:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You don't want to see my powder coated tower on my new to me boat ugh I'll be fixing myself though during my "winter".

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would have imagined that others would have spoken up by now if they have bad paint on their towers. Maybe mine is a fluke occurrence? I sent the pics to my dealer salesman last week and he said he returns to the office on Monday and will send it to Yamaha to see what they say. I hope they don't try and drag this out as the paint simply should not be chipping in this area. The tower doesn't even rest on this part of the base so there is little to no contact yet the paint is already chipping. Thankfully it's in an inconspicuous area and likely can't be seen once the tower it up but what if it starts chipping on the main sections of the tower? Yuk!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sure looks like it got hit or a line scored into the powder coat.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm the only owner of this boat so it was never hit there or had a line cut the paint. When the tower is up that section of the base is concealed so it would be impossible for a line to be there. I've always babied the tower when lowering or raising so it's not from abuse or anything.

Looking inside the tower I can see where there is some shiny sections what looks like metal touching metal. I wonder if that section is causing the surfaces to contact.

Attachments

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just to follow up with an update but I'm still waiting on an answer from Yamaha according to my dealer who messaged me last Friday saying they still haven't received an answer from them. Gueas I'll just have to call Yamaha directly and see if they can give me a solution.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Still playing the waiting game with my dealer :mad:. At least it's winter but they can't dodge me forever as the boat show is next weekend and they have a booth lol.

Anyways figured I'd make this video to help illustrate my issue and what I think the cause is..

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks. I tried to keep it short and simple. My dealer tried to play the card that this is might be from me (my fault) for removing the washers on the tower cable so the tower can sit low enough to fit in my garage. I explained to him that is impossible since the washers have zero effect for when the tower is raised and locked down. So I made this video and will be sending it to him to try and save me a trip of taking the boat to him just to inspect. We will see I guess...

StayinAlive

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What happened with this? Yamaha cover it?

steelhorse454

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2023 Yamaha AR195 and my white tower is chipping at the lowering points as the older video shows. This is supposed to be powder coated but I don't believe that it is.....Wife and I bumped the tower while taking down the bimini top last week and took out a huge chip. Not a good coating as I'm sure quality control at the factory has gone South. Not happy with the bimini top design either....