• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone have the Chevy 6.2 gas engine?

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m thinking about a new tow vehicle. I currently have an 07 ford fx4. It does ok but I think it’s time for a new one. I like the new fords but don’t like the dealers in my area. wifey And Family have bought a few trucks from a local Chevy dealer and are treated very well. The older I get the more I think the dealer is more import than the manufacture, they all break so service is priority 1.
the 5.3 is probably sufficient but the 6.2 is definitely stronger. I have a 2020 242x and that thing is a load on the hwy. my 150 does fine as far as the body and weight of the truck, but want more motor. The problem with the 6.2 is that they recommend premium gas in it. That may be a deal breaker. The motor doesn’t get good mileage to begin with so adding the extra price for fuel puts it over the top As we often haul this boat 100 to 300 miles.
So I was wondering if anyone had the 6.2 and is the premium actually a must have?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m thinking about a new tow vehicle. I currently have an 07 ford fx4. It does ok but I think it’s time for a new one. I like the new fords but don’t like the dealers in my area. wifey And Family have bought a few trucks from a local Chevy dealer and are treated very well. The older I get the more I think the dealer is more import than the manufacture, they all break so service is priority 1.
the 5.3 is probably sufficient but the 6.2 is definitely stronger. I have a 2020 242x and that thing is a load on the hwy. my 150 does fine as far as the body and weight of the truck, but want more motor. The problem with the 6.2 is that they recommend premium gas in it. That may be a deal breaker. The motor doesn’t get good mileage to begin with so adding the extra price for fuel puts it over the top As we often haul this boat 100 to 300 miles.
So I was wondering if anyone had the 6.2 and is the premium actually a must have?
Hi Troy,

I have the 6.2 gasser in my 2019 Silverado 1500. It tows with ease. In the year I have the 6.2 comes with the 10 speed auto. This is the transmission that you want. The 5.3 only has the 8 speed. That’s a consideration.

I have never ran anything but the premium thru the tank and likely never will. If you run lower octane it will mess with the engine timing. The computer would probably compensate but I wouldn’t risk it.

The 6.2 and the 5.3 are quite close to each other in economy especially on the highway. Given the choice I would go with the bigger mill and the better transmission and just deal with the incremental gas expense.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting read:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One last piece.. from my owners manual. Recommended NOT Requires

Premium Recommended

Use premium 93 octane — (R+M)/2 — unleaded gasoline in your vehicle. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is recommended. Unleaded gasoline with an octane rating as low as 87 may be used, but it will reduce performance and fuel economy. See Recommended Fuel (Except 6.2L V8 Engine) Recommended Fuel (6.2L V8 Engine).

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting read:

very informative, Thanks. Not sure why it’s a concern for me. I have a work truck and don’t use the personal truck much anyway. Maybe I’m thinking to hard on the future. If gas prices go way up and premium WAS a must, you would have a hard time getting rid of something like that.
after reading all that, I think I’ll go with the 6.2 👍

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe you covered it and I missed it, but what is the final drive ratio?

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have 2 vehicles with 6.2L engines. One is a 1500 Silverado, and it tows like a beast. My other is a Yukon, with a 10 speed, and it tows even better. Unless you are at a high altitude, regular gas is fine. Premium is only recommended, not required. The computer adjusts and I have never had a bit of problem. The manual states that if you use regular, and get engine knock, then you should cease use, otherwise no problems. On my Yukon, I have 26000 miles and have an overall gas mileage of almost 20 MPG. Highway, 65-70 I consistently get 24 MPG.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had 5.3 trucks and 6.2 Yukon’s for the last three rounds of vehicles. Current set are 2017s. I tow with both. Run both on 87 octane. For towing the 6.2 is so much stronger. The higher/flatter torque curve provides pulling power much more consistently than the 5.3.

Don’t get me wrong, 5.3 can handle the 24’ boats fine, however the 6.2 excels with 5000lbs behind it.

Occasionally I’ll splurge for 93 octane. The 6.2 feels like it has 50 extra horses with it.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The older 6.2s ran fine on regular. Maybe they bumped the compression up for the newer ones? I have a friend with a 6.0 high compression and he definitely requires premium, even just going up a hill his truck knocks like crazy on regular. If you weren't towing and lived in the flat lands, it'd probably be fine, but towing... Not as much.

Also, they never "require" premium, from a manual standpoint. Every engine out there will run on 87, in emergency situations etc, so it can't be required. Recommended is code for"you really should use this but we can't force you to and the engine will run on 87 even if it's rough and ugly".

It's a shame they did that, I think premium in something that isn't truly a sports vehicle is stupid. Srt Durango, I could get it. 6.2 Tahoe? That's stupid.

Cbass953

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 15 Sierra with the 6.2 and max tow package. Tows the boat great more than enough power for anything I need. I always run regular gas. Truck has never had a hiccup. I have owned it since new. Good luck

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My’18 tahoe has the 6.2. Pulls the ar240 no problem.

Rammrodd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
The 10 speed is the real game changer! It's crazy how it always finds the right gear! Plus the highway mileage is legitimate.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After owning 2 Chevys and 3 Sierras, the transmission is as big of impact on towing as the engine. The 6.2 is a monster for sure, and the last couple years of 6.2's have shown very similar mileage as the 5.3's. (depending on how much you mash the fun flipper on the floor) If you do want to get into the 10 speed, that is one of the differences in the Sierra over the Silverado, as it's offered in more models. My 5.3 Denali is an odd duck, as most come with 6.2 stock.

My current 2018 Sierra Denali with 5.3 and 10 speed got 23 mpg for a 1500 mile road trip just 3000 miles from being new on the lot! (we averaged 75mph) We got 9 mpg towing our 242LS for 1700 miles on the way back. (we averaged 70mph)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the 5.3.....I wish I had the 6.2. I have the "antique" 6L80E (6spd) transmission, so I don't have the nice trans either. Neighbhor has the 5.3/10spd combo in his new '19 truck. Had had some transmission issues with it, but I think they've all be electronics related, not hard parts.

The real world mileage difference between the 5.3 and the 6.2 as reported by owners is VERY slim. I already run 93 in the truck anyway (same cost per mile as 87, and the truck "feels" better) so that doesn't bother me a bit. The 6.2 would have been better pulling and more entertaining daily driving.

osteodoc08

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Had a 2013 Yukon Denali with the 6.2L. Dropped a rod straight through the block and left 6 quarts of oil all over the dealership lot when they tried to start it. I had towed it there after it was knocking. It had 62K mikes on it and maintained religiously. New motor and eventually traded it on a 2016 Denali. Sure miss that one. Loved driving it but as the boys got older, complaints more from the third row. Got a 2018 Expedition Max. Problem free for 75k and counting. Miss the 2016 Yukon though. Driving dynamics much more engaging. I prefer the 6.2L to the 3.5 Ecoboost, but the EB is a strong motor. The towing MPG was better in the Yukon.

Last edited:

AEmedic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife has a 2019 Tahoe RST with the 6.2L and I have a 2020 Silverado 1500 High Country with the 6.2L and we absolutely love them! I towed my AR240 500 miles a few weekends ago and it tows it so effortlessly that I wouldn't want anything else. I don't like to hear the engine roaring like my old 5.3L seemed to do on an incline. Like others have mentioned, the 10 spd tranny is very smooth and the truck is just fun to drive! Go test drive one, I think you will like it.Lift+Tires.jpg

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, sorry if I disappoint anyone here, I fully intended on getting the silverado with 6.2 but the salesman told me I would have to orders the one I wanted. I stopped by at a ford lot and saw this monster sitting there And ended up with it. i always said I didn’t want to risk the hassles of a diesel but the power got me. 925ft lbs of torque did me in. I hope I don’t regret it. Used 17’ 4x4 lariat with 52k miles And 6.7 power stroke. set the cruise and this thing pulls that 24ft wake over bridges at 70-75 without Slowing down or even dropping a gear. Impressive. 36933FA7-14B2-4313-9AFA-F856BFA71133.jpeg

osteodoc08

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The 6.7 is their best diesel since the 7.3L. I had a 2013 that was trouble free until my ex destroyed it. It protected my kids though and they were just fine. You’re gonna love it!

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a 15 Silverado with the 6.2. The transmission had to be rebuilt, and then replaced. The 8 speed is junk
I had a 19 Sierra AT4 with the 6.2 10 speed. Absolutely loved it. I leased it and soon after that, took a new job with my company that requires a little more road time that would not allow me to keep a lease.

I bought a 2020 Silverado 2500 Dirtymax.

Between the 15 and 19, I had a Ram 2500. Loved the Cummins, again, trans was junk.

Once you go diesel, it's almost impossible to want to tow with a gasser again.

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had a 15 Silverado with the 6.2. The transmission had to be rebuilt, and then replaced. The 8 speed is junk
I had a 19 Sierra AT4 with the 6.2 10 speed. Absolutely loved it. I leased it and soon after that, took a new job with my company that requires a little more road time that would not allow me to keep a lease.

I bought a 2020 Silverado 2500 Dirtymax.

Between the 15 and 19, I had a Ram 2500. Loved the Cummins, again, trans was junk.

Once you go diesel, it's almost impossible to want to tow with a gasser again.
I can believe that. These diesels have double the torque of even the best gassers.