• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone know which wakeboard rack is better? Yamaha vs Monster

rob_tt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Trying to decide between the two. Going on a AR192. Is there a preferred option on mounting port vs starboard? Thanks!

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love our Monster Surf/Wakeboard combo. Hold Zup great as well.

Attachments

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Honestly just get the Monster as it’s cheaper and comes off easy. This comes in handy if you need to lower your tower too clear anything, for example putting the boat in the garage. I have owned both racks. If only buying one I would mount on the side less surfed behind. As the rope can sometimes get by the rack when starting, especially if you have someone less skilled in the water.

Last edited:

rob_tt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Appreciate it, thanks!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Appreciate it, thanks!
Look at this before you order. This has details about what size clamp to order if you go with the swivel.

Also not telling Monster they are wrong, however I have used the plastic inserts with the swivel and have not experienced a problem as well. Keep in mind this is now on my 212 so the rear tube is 2 3/8” so it’s the thinnest insert. I might feel differently if the tube was smaller and was using a bigger inset.

Last edited:

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Don't get the Yamaha. Mine spins if the boards aren't balanced just right....

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This conversation is good humor, as the Monster rack i purchased is the one they produced for Yamaha . I’m sure they have sourced them from other suppliers over the years, but that was the reason I bought the Monster Swivel rack at the time, as it was half the price of the identical rack from yamaha.

Good luck guys.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This conversation is good humor, as the Monster rack i purchased is the one they produced for Yamaha . I’m sure they have sourced them from other suppliers over the years, but that was the reason I bought the Monster Swivel rack at the time, as it was half the price of the identical rack from yamaha.

Good luck guys.
Keep in mind that is not the case anymore, you can no longer buy this rack from them. The one they made was on the 212X and the 242X. Read the other link that I included and you will see what I am talking about or go to their website and look. The Yamaha Wakeboard racks where not the same design as the racks with the one surf board opening and one wakeboard opening. I don’t think you could ever buy these from Monster or if you could it was prior to me looking (which would be pre 2017 or so). However you are correct at one time you could get the 212X and the 242X racks from them.

Last edited:

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
One other thing to keep in mind is buy the surf one as not all surf boards will fit in the narrow wakeboard openings.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Keep in mind that is not the case anymore, you can no longer buy this rack from them. The one they made was on the 212X and the 242X. Read the other link that I included and you will see what I am talking about or go to their website and look. The Yamaha Wakeboard racks where not the same design as the racks with the one surf board opening and one wakeboard opening. I don’t think you could ever buy these from Monster or if you could it was prior to me looking (which would be pre 2017 or so). However you are correct at one time you could get the 212X and the 242X racks from them.
Ya, it must have been a short run. As at the time they produced them for yamaha, it was the nice swivel with the pin, rather than the crank. And it has a wake and surf slot. I honestly should have bought two of them. A few of us bought them through Overtons, as there were big discount coupons that got it even cheaper. And of course, not all yamaha models had the same diameter. So it may not have applied to the 190 series towers

This is the Wake Surf rack that Monster made for the 242X. It is identical to the Yamaha rack. Too bad it's not offered anymore, as it's a solid piece of equipment with the smoothest swivel out there.

Last edited:

gpeterson777

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Love our Monster Surf/Wakeboard combo. Hold Zup great as well.

Hello,

I joined the group just so I could send you a message here haha. I'm about to buy two of the monster racks for my boat and wondering if I should get 2 wake surf / wake board or one wake surf / wakeboard and one wakeboard /wakeboard racks.

Basically I was wondering how does a wakeboard fit in the wake surf rack? Is it possible or is there just way too much space?

I was thinking it couldn be nice having the ability to have two surfboards and two wakeboards, but also have the ability to have three wakeboards and one surfboard.

Thank you so much 😀

Garrett

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can put a wakeboard in a surf slot, but as mentioned, it will be sloppy and rattle at speed. it won't fly out, but it will bounce up and down. You could always wrap a towel around the board or a life jacket to add girth to minimize bouncing. As I am guessing you will only do this temporarily.

The combo rack with one slot of each is the way to go if you do both sports.

gpeterson777

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can put a wakeboard in a surf slot, but as mentioned, it will be sloppy and rattle at speed. it won't fly out, but it will bounce up and down. You could always wrap a towel around the board or a life jacket to add girth to minimize bouncing. As I am guessing you will only do this temporarily.

Thanks yeah that's what I'm going to do. I wasn't even thinking of some phone to put behind it like pipe insulation. Something like that! Lol

I like you said I would only need to do that if a friend comes and brings his own board etc.

Also I was going to get the swivel mounts thinking that I could swing the boards in the boat during trailering. I don't really see a benefit to swivel mounts other than that.

But monster only has smallest swivel clamp 1 7/8" and my tower tube is 1 and 3/4" so I'm an 1/8" short. Thinking if I got some rubber insert I could put it in there and make it work.

The rep says they can't recommend that but many customers have done similar.

Any opinions on swivel racks?

Thanks!

gpeterson777

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Yeah a life jacket that's actually a simple and great idea thank you.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't really see a benefit to swivel mounts other than that.

But monster only has smallest swivel clamp 1 7/8" and my tower tube is 1 and 3/4" so I'm an 1/8" short. Thinking if I got some rubber insert I could put it in there and make it work.

The rep says they can't recommend that but many customers have done similar.
Anyone that puts their boat on a lift with a canopy, or parks in a garage has to have swivel racks.

My monster racks actually shipped with strips of rubber, and most will use strips of an old inner tube to add girth, or keep from scratching the tower. I have never moved it, and it has held fine.

gpeterson777

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone that puts their boat on a lift with a canopy, or parks in a garage has to have swivel racks.

My monster racks actually shipped with strips of rubber, and most will use strips of an old inner tube to add girth, or keep from scratching the tower. I have never moved it, and it has held fine.

If yours doesn't swivel then it comes with all the rubber inserts to be universal. The swivel racks are the ones that don't come with universal rubber inserts but they're built to size for the actual tube for some reason. Seems like they should have a universal swivel option But to get in the garage yours still has the quick release so you can just take the racks off and leave the clamp. Thanks.

gpeterson777

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Oh I see your picture now. So you do have a swivel mount. They don't sell that style anymore they have a new style. But thanks for the info!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh I see your picture now. So you do have a swivel mount. They don't sell that style anymore they have a new style. But thanks for the info!
Yes mine are the Monster Swivel, which were made for Yamaha as a factory accessory.