• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone remove bow ladder?

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After pulling in the anchor yesterday, I smashed my thumb when the bow ladder folded before I expected it.
I've anchored dozens of times but only used the bow ladder once. I'm thinking of removing it.
Has anyone else removed their bow ladder?
Did you regret it later?

On a related note, does anyone have a link to the thread on replacing the anchor locker cover spring with a gas strut?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe that @txav8r removed his.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I removed it when I bought the boat. Still never once to this day where I would have used it.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I removed my bow ladder, don't see the need for it at all. Plus, there are no grab handles up there, so getting in from it is not easy and that ladder ends up scratching up the bow. I want the anchor capability without fooling with a ladder to do it. Don't miss it at all. Got a brand new, never used 4 rung SS ladder in my barn.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Damn....I struggle with that ladder every-time I access with the anchor, sorry to say the thought of removing it hasn't crossed my mind till this post hit me like a freight train !. It will be unbolted and stowed by weeks end.......perfect !

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Based on @txav8r comments on a previous post, I removed mine as well. I don't see a need for it either. My transom ladder, now that's another story. I was out on the river this weekend and was not able to get it back in. I know it's bent and I need to take it off and send it back for repair/replace. I just don't want to do it now, during the season that I use it so much. I need a temporary fix. :-(

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just removed my bow ladder last week. I had even added handles on each side of the anchor hatch last year, only used it one time, & that time was just to say I used it!

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on @txav8r @Kevin M comments on a previous post, I removed mine as well. I don't see a need for it either. My transom ladder, now that's another story. I was out on the river this weekend and was not able to get it back in. I know it's bent and I need to take it off and send it back for repair/replace. I just don't want to do it now, during the season that I use it so much. I need a temporary fix. :-(
@Kevin M
Remove the two bolts holding it on it's mount. Extend ladder and place on ground with crown facing upward. A little at a time, step on ladder and straighten. You may be surprised that it works better than new...... As for the front ladder being removed, not yet, but plan to do so.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Kevin M
Remove the two bolts holding it on it's mount. Extend ladder and place on ground with crown facing upward. A little at a time, step on ladder and straighten. You may be surprised that it works better than new...... As for the front ladder being removed, not yet, but plan to do so.
Thank you, I will give that a try!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yeah, I "fixed" the rear ladder.
The front one I have removed for the same reasons. Still don't know what I want to do up there with the space though. Was thinking of making something to make anchoring even easier. Right now my door won't stop coming off the screws. I fiberglassed it and re drilled it for the same screws, but they just ripped right out. Time for some epoxy...
Who uses the front ladder? People who beach the boat of course!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must be doing something wrong because I still use mine. Yes, it is a bit of a pain when getting at the anchor. But when I swim up and the boat has spun around with change of wind at anchor and I hit the bow first, I just get in there rather than schlepping to the bow.

Yes, I am lazy.

I also have my grab handles installed at the bow, so that helps its usefulness tremendously. I do wish it folded a little more easily. I always have to hit it with the heel of my hand to get the slot shifted so the 90 deg part of the ladder will collapse and stow. But I think I am keeping mine.

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm removing it this weekend. It's quite hard to climb up that way when you are in the water.

While we are on this topic, how do you cover the screw holes?

Last edited:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing better than the voice of experience. :)

My boat model never had a bow ladder and I've often been somewhat envious when I see other boats with it. Can't say that I ever saw anybody climb up one, but the idea of it seemed like a good one. Always figured I would want something like that on my next boat, but maybe not...:wideyed:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I didn't bother with te screw holes for now @Kevin107 . I left them in case I ever sell it (duck for incoming). I know, I never intend to, but I didn't intend to buy another one either. So never say never right? Anyway, I left them with screws installed back in there I think. If I did sell it, that person may want that ladder. But if your sure you don't want them. Get some quick epoxy stick and fill them within about 3/16" of the surface, and use Spectrum gelcoat patch to fill it and sand to polish. It will disappear. Instructions on gelcoat kit.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was able to fix my ladder, not sure how long it will last but at least I can push it in now. I removed the ladder itself. I took the one of the two bolts that holds it on and inserted the bolt into the rail that in normally slides along. As I slid the bolt towards the rear of the bracket, it stopped. I used a a small crow bar and inserted into the slide opening and pry'd down just a little or at least until the bolt was free of it's tension. I continued this, being careful not to scratch or over torque the metal bracket. I did it to both sides and now the ladder moves easily in and out. I will remove it at the end of the season and send it in.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Removed it long ago. Anchor locker much better now!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thread of the week so far! My kids are to the age now I have them do the anchoring, but on retrieval I sometimes have to intervene because the damn thing will hang up. I'm totally removing that son of a bitch this week and will probably not give 2 thoughts to just tossing it in the recycle bin.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The first and only time mine was used, a friend broke it trying to remove it. Apparently it was hung up on some sort of plastic bushing-like piece, and this is the piece that split in half. The only reason they were getting it out was because they were bored/messing with it sitting in the bow, they didn't intend on using it. It hasn't been used since... I'm going to remove it and will figure something out for storage up there.

FYI: Ladder still works fine without the plastic bushings, actually works better ...

Photo of the piece that broke:
image.jpg

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
This past weekend I was wondering why we were all getting splashed so bad while heading back to the slip. I've been through way more chop with out getting wet.

Got back and wouldn't ya know it, damn ladder was still down.

Looks like it's coming out. Have never even used it once. Thanks for the idea.