• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone use mirror extensions on their tow rig?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking I may want to get some mirror extensions for long haul towing, say 3+ hours or longer.
Reason is i would like to see traffic behind me a bit better on the freeway and, more importantly, two lane state or county highways. OEM mirrors on my Tahoe are fine for ramp and parking lot.

Anyone use extensions? Anyone have recommendations?

These look interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-80900-Chevrolet-Cadillac/dp/B004ME8MZ0/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439078611&vehicle=2012-47-499-478--9-6--8149--1-1-2676-104-4-0&sr=1-2&ymm=2012:chevrolet:tahoe

http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-10900-Chevrolet-Custom-Mirrors/dp/B001ABPKUS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439084054&vehicle=2012-47-499-478--9-6--8149--1-1-2676-104-4-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2012:chevrolet:tahoe

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a cheap set of strap ons (mirrors you animals, mirrors!) that I've used since I got the boat. I really like having them as they do help with rear visibility. I've considered the kind you're looking at but have always been too cheap to pull l the trigger. I'll be interested to know how they work out for you.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you considered a camera on the back of your trailer?

I'm a gadget kinda guy and would enjoy this more than big mirrors.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a cheap set of strap-on mirrors when I first got the boat and my Durango. As the Durango is narrower than other full size SUVs, the extensions were a bit more important for it. The straps broke a couple years ago, I went without last year.

Frankly, I'd like to go the simple route with this one. Already spent a lot on mods this year + don't want more hassle this season.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the small, wide angle circle mirrors on my Grand Cherokee. I use them almost exclusively when backing up, and they were like $3.

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I have a pair snap on mirrors for when I tow my travel trailer with my F150 and they work great! I think I got them through Cabela's.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I decided to try the CIPA custom extensions designed to fit my Tahoe (and similar other GM vehicles).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ABPKUS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 Price was just under $37. Similar K Force (same as "Fit" as far as I can tell) are $49 at Cabela's and $45 through Amazon.

I will report my experience here in the next couple weeks. I have a 9 hour tow coming up Friday, should have a chance to give them a full workout.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I decided to try the CIPA custom extensions designed to fit my Tahoe (and similar other GM vehicles).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ABPKUS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 Price was just under $37. Similar K Force (same as "Fit" as far as I can tell) are $49 at Cabela's and $45 through Amazon.

I will report my experience here in the next couple weeks. I have a 9 hour tow coming up Friday, should have a chance to give them a full workout.
I think those are very similar to the ones I bought and have used
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00069CN2I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
for the last couple of years. I have been very happy with mine. They are quick to snap on and off. It takes a few minutes to get them adjusted, so I try not to bump them when I take them on or off. I used them a lot the last two summers, but this year have only used them for long tows. I think you will be happy with them for that price, nothing fancy but gives you that extra look behind you.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the CIPA slide on mirrors for my Silverado, I use them when pulling my camper, I was going to take them with me when I picked my boat up this last weekend but I forgot them at home.
I like them because they fit tight over the stock mirrors and don't vibrate. They also don't look that bad when installed.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, final verdict after over 1,000 mIles of towing - these CIPA mirror extensions are excellent. Easy install, rock solid, look good, and gave me the additional views behind my trailer I was seeking.

All for $37.

Highly recommended.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length