• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone use the Yamaha Sun Shade?

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The price for just the fabric and zippers for the bow was quoted at $600 the pole was another 200+. I did have him take my existing Bimini and modify it to add zippers to all bows. Knowing that the Bimini top will not last more than a few more years to also had him make another one out of black sunbrella for $500. If anyone needs a new top for a 212x let me know I have a good template for it.

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After setting up the Yamaha sun shade for the first time today, it will be going back ASAP. First of all It arived broken one of the poles bungee cord was cut. But after fixing the cord the shade is very difficult to set up. For the price I would expect something better.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What is difficult about setting it or breaking it down? Too many parts or is the tower (assuming you have one) to much of an obstruction?

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It will only work with a wake tower, it uses it as its main support. The problem is its very difficult to put together. The poles are very large aluminum not like the new tents today with fiberglass poles. They are very difficult to slide through the pockets of the cover. The poles also have sharp internal edges that slice through the internal bungees. I assembled it on the beach next to the boat and it still was a pain. I'm not sure it can be done on the boat. The 4 leg poles are very difficult to extend or retract. After its up I like the shade but it still dosent cover the bow of the boat. For someone who only boats a few times a year it might be ok but I'm on the lake all day every weekend, with the new baby we need easy shade and this is not it. If it was under $60 I would consider keeping it, but $400 it's going back.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry to hear the Yamaha shade did not work out for you, I'm sure other members will find your experience with it helpful as they decide on whether to purchase one or not.

You might want to go with a solution like @MrMoose 's , if you want to match the color of your stock Bimini you should be able to find it easily online and without a lot of customized upholstery work it should not cost you much. Here are a few links with pics of other mods meant to accomplish the same thing, more shade. As I stated in one of my first posts on my 2010 242, the Bimini on the LS is BS. I hope you find an acceptable solution soon.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/whole-boat-sun-shade.3180/

https://jetboaters.net/threads/fun-day-at-the-lake-today-and-a-pic-of-my-boat.2485/#post-39569

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for getting back Jeremy. I'm glad I didn't purchase before asking here. Sorry for your experience though.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Shade!?!
Man just buy some SunBum sunscreen and spend most of the day in the water!
(with a cold beer in your hand)