• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone used Duracell AGM's?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd go with the 31's... just because I like lots of reserve capacity. :D

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I thought about it, but at an additional $60 each, and bimini on the horizon, I'm not sure that's feasible right now.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have had Deka AGM's and they worked great without a single leak or issue...until they showed a degraded state at about the 5 year mark. When I bought new AGM's for the 240, I went with a brand that O'Reillys sold, not sold on looks or physical external construction, but they were cheaper and all I care is that they are sealed/maintenance free and last 5 years or so. It is an expense you don't have to have, but the convenience of almost ignoring them stuck way back in a hole in the port compartment is what makes it worth it. If you don't have AGM's, watch the electrolyte levels monthly both in season and off season.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Watch the levels and DONT over fill the batteries unless you want acid all over your storage areas :banghead:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
$120 is an amazing price for any AGM battery. The capacity of that model is 55 amp hours. The group 31 AGMs that I have are 100 amp hours and the less expensive Interstate SRM-27B is 96. If you want to save money I would go with the Interstate SRM-27B.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You'll be fine with these. Remember what we discussed.
Good luck.
I'm off to Mille Lacs (Minnesota) for some REAL walleye fishin'.
Be good, Mikey

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I didn't see that one in my pricing sheet, @Bruce . I'll have to email my rep about it. Thanks!

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I would avoid an undersized group 34. The biggest model designation in this case happens to be the lightest and shortest battery with the least amount of amp/hour capacity. In order of size, from smallest to largest, 34, 24, 27, 29, 31.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Learn something new every day! Had no idea 34 was the smallest.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oddly, I can't seem to get any of those Duracell's in the link in any of my closest 5 stores. So it won't show me a price or anything. I wonder if they are not available in Texas or something.

But @David Analog has convinced me to look for 31's when it is time to change. If they will fit in my trays... I really like the idea of not having to worry as much about at least one thing on the boat. :)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Trays and boxes are CHEAP! I find the covered plastic boxes with strap and tie downs included at Walmart, auto parts stores, Batteries Plus, and many other places that have auto centers. I find that most of the small boxes will hold either the group 24 or group 27. The Group 27 is what I went with. It is not quite the 31 but it is closer to that than the 24. And it still conserves my storage space but gives me a 100+ amp hour battery (actually 200+ amp hours because I have two. Don't worry about the trays...they are CHEAP! The battery is your main concern. If you have the room and a 23 or 24' boat, the 31's will work. In a 210 or 190...your weight and space will dictate that you not overdo this due to performance constraints IMO. It is all the amount of time on the water at rest and the level you play the music, that will determine the size of your battery bank that you need. My guess is that a guy with normal needs around 1000W of stereo, and doesn't expect his bank to carry him more than a weekend, will get what he wants out of a dual bank 24 system, but 27 gets you more time...and 31 even more. If you can get to a charger during these times, and only a single day are going to be the norm, you really don't have to build the bank big. I figure I can get well past 5 hours of continuous play off of my group 27 dual bank setup at levels higher than I will be normally playing. So group 27's work perfect for me, save weight, space, and MONEY!