• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone used Star Brite Salt Off compared to Salt Away?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm at the beach and i swing by the local bait and tackle shop to pick up some Salt Away but they didn't carry it. They did carry Star Brite Salt Off which looks to be pretty much the same thing. Anyone used it with their boat?

Attachments

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have not but any product like that salt away, or salt Termintor will be okay. I use salt Termintor with good results I think @ClemsonTiger uses Salt Away. He may be able to chime in on Salt Off

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just got back to the condo only to find that my father-in-law has gone to Walmart so I asked him to look for Salt Away while he's there. I'd rather use what everyone else is using but I guess they all work the same. I just like the fact that Salt Away specifically states jet engines and the Salt Off just says inboard and outboards. If he finds Salt Away I'll see if I can take the Salt Off back for a refund otherwise I'll just use it since it cost $40.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well the Walmart here doesn't carry salt away so I'm just going to use the salt off. I'm sure it'll do the job fine. I'm only here for the week and then will be back to fresh water lakes.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you try a dealer/marina they probably carry a product.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked it all up before the Bimini trip earlier this year...;)

The MSDS on Salt Away lists the active ingredient as sulfamic acid. For those of us who home brew (or used to) - that is what you use as primary cleaner for all the equipment, tanks and hoses. There is nothing else there in Salt Away but dye, so if you want to make your own, you could save some money. I would use a 3% solution.

Here's what Wikipedia says about it:

Sulfamic acid is used as an acidic cleaning agent, sometimes pure or as a component of proprietary mixtures, typically for metals and ceramics. It is frequently used for removing rust and limescale, replacing the more volatile and irritating hydrochloric acid, which is however cheaper. It is often a component of household descaling agents, for example, Lime-A-Way Thick Gel contains up to 8% sulfamic acid and pH 2 - 2.2,or detergents used for removal of limescale. When compared to most of the common strong mineral acids, Sulfamic acid has desirable water descaling properties, low volatility, low toxicity and is a water soluble solid forming soluble calcium and iron-III salts.

Some other brands, like Salt Terminator, use sodium nitrite. Also found in pickling/brine salts and meat cures (like Prague 2 - along with sodium nitrate).
Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it in relation to corrosion:

Sodium Nitrite is an effective corrosion inhibitor and is used as an additive in industrial greases, as an aqueous solution in closed loop cooling systems, and in a molten state as a heat transfer medium

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Picked up some Salt Away and T9 from West Marine. Of course now it looks like rain is trying to set in lol.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@haknslash don't forget that @JetBoatPilot is right around the corner in Panama City Beach. I believe that they should have Salt-Away in stock. As well as Boat Bling products!!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just finished my flush and wash down of the boat using Salt Away. Man this stuff really works wonders removing all the crusty salt crystals. I feel better knowing I used it.

BTW I ran a full adapter cup of it through the engine until I saw the cup was clear and I made sure no more foam mix was coming out of the exhaust or owe holes. That's what you guys do right?

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I run in brackish water, but still flush. First, with plain hose water for about 8 minutes. Then, the Salt Away but as soon as it fades out of the dark blue color, I stop. No sense running more plain old water through the system, and flushing out the Salt Away chemicals that you do want to leave behind - over time it builds a protective layer and continued flushing only washes the salt away, away. You want to leave it in there, after it has coursed through the system. Any excess you can use to spray down the trailer and the underside of your tow vehicle. Then, repeat on other side. Yes, anal. But that's why my sh&t still looks and runs like new.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in PCB and use Salt Away, I flush with fresh water for 10mims, then then Salt Away until I get foam out of the engine exhaust and then turn off the hose, then turn off the engine. I proceed to use the remaining salt away on my trailer.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use salt away but lately I've used West Marines own brand, with no noticeable negative results.
As for the acid content, yes beware, I spilt a little on my rear deck hydro turf on my 190 and it reacted making it go hard and shrink.

Top Bottom