• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AO Coolers

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know that a lot of users have and swear by the AO coolers. I was just wondering, for those who have had them for a long time, how have they held up? Any issues?

TIA

I know that a lot of users have and swear by the AO coolers. I was just wondering, for those who have had them for a long time, how have they held up? Any issues?

TIA
I have two of them and use them all the time. Going on two full seasons and have not had any issues whatsoever.

just don't put bottles inside, they will puncture the inside and the cooler will leak

I really like my AO Cooler and I put bottles in mine. To protect the cooler from the bottle caps I use bottle condoms (i.e. rubber feet that go on the end of stool legs).

beer-bottle-condom-jpg.22942

I have had mine 2 seasons and they look brand new. I got 3 sizes and we usually will take the two bigger sizes on the water. One for food and one for drinks. The smallest is really good for going to a gathering or baseball game. Haven't had any issues...well one issue is they don't refill after taking a beverage out. ;)

Noted:
  • Sharp corners are bad, use protection.
  • The big sizes are the most useful. (We're usually a thirsty crowd, so I was eying the 36 and 48's)
  • Take care of them and 2 years later they can look like new.
I'll be placing my order later today. Thanks for the replies!

Sto-n-go is awesome! Hope I'm not too late, it's the best one imo.

We have a 48 pack, use it for ice.

And you are shaking your head thinking, "No Really ? Duh".o_O

Exclusively for ice. It holds it for days on end, just like they claim. I use it to re-fill the on board coolers as needed. And I'm talking triple digit heat.

Finally have the system down. Buy ice once at the beginning of the trip and We are set. :cool:

I have a 36 and certainly like it better than going under the seat into the cooler that came with the boat. We don't see triple-digit heat like Glassman, but it has done a good job of holding ice all day. I don't see where it would work as claimed for multiple days of extremely hot weather, but again, that is not my scenario.

I have a 36 and certainly like it better than going under the seat into the cooler that came with the boat. We don't see triple-digit heat like Glassman, but it has done a good job of holding ice all day. I don't see where it would work as claimed for multiple days of extremely hot weather, but again, that is not my scenario.
The trick, I have found, is to use 2 blocks and 2-3 bags. Stow it out of the sun and open it only when you are ready to top off the coolers - once a day.:cool:
I don't think it would hold the ice nearly as long if we were in and out of it getting stuff during the day.;)

We have the 36 and 24 and love the coolers. They work extremely well and what I like about them is that you don't have to worry about scuffing/scratching the boat. We use the 24 more often for day trips on the boat for drinks and the 36 for food, but I will tell you that the 36 is plenty heavy loaded with ice/drinks let alone the 48.

Last edited:
I've had two of these going on three seasons now with no issues. I've transitioned to canned beer only to make things lighter and safer on the boat. I never had an issue with bottled beer punching holes in these coolers. I find the coolers lighter, more efficient and easier to store on board. I also use them to transport food to and from our weekend home year round so they get double duty with no signs of wear. The shoulder strap is also makes carrying these very convenient.

I have one and it doesn't hold ice as well as our regular Igloo coolers. By the end of the day the ice is totally liquid. The customer service is great though. The shoulder strap broke recently while carrying it with probably 30 drinks and 20lbs of ice(supposed to hold 48 cans). Sent them an email and they sent me a new strap at no charge.

I have one and it doesn't hold ice as well as our regular Igloo coolers. By the end of the day the ice is totally liquid. The customer service is great though. The shoulder strap broke recently while carrying it with probably 30 drinks and 20lbs of ice(supposed to hold 48 cans). Sent them an email and they sent me a new strap at no charge.
Good to know there are still companies out there that won't sluff you off or require that you produce your original sales slip.

We have the AO, 3rd season now, one started leaking last year, and now the second starting leaking the last couple of weeks. For me, we went with the black color, it faded right away, now its a charcoal gray color. In the end AO will repair for free, but you have to pay the shipping back to them, and include a $12 check per cooler you send in for return shipping. I chucked them and went with a Yeti !! Now I will never have to buy another cooler EVER !

I have 4 AO Coolers and agree that the customer service is great. Yep, issues happen, and they will deny warranty if you damage it yourself, but they will even repair that for a fee. I have a 9 can, 12 can, 24 can, and a 36 can. The 24 and 36 can coolers are the carbon series, and both a much more durable than the vinyl, and more resistant than the fabric ones. My expectations may be less than some of you. But if you are in and out of any cooler numerous times a day, you have a heat gain, and with it, a loss of ice. So I don't expect even a yeti cooler to hold ice at the same level without melting if I have it open 20 times that day...but a hard side cooler, even an cheap igloo, has a higher thermal rating than does a soft side cooler. The AO Cooler is a great cooler for the money and a great compromise IMO. But hey, if that isn't good enough for you, Yeti also makes a soft side now! But it too is a $ quarter grand! Nothing is perfect, everything is a compromise, even your boat is a compromise! I find my AO Coolers a very good compromise based on my personal expectations.

I looked at the Yeti... I figured I can buy the set of 4 AO's for about the same cost. (Maybe even less) So, even though in Alabama you aren't a man without a Yeti, I am going with the AO's. I don't expect them to last forever, or hold ice for 22 days in 115* heat. I just want something to keep the beer cold during the day and not take up the entire lounge area while doing it.

I appreciate all the feedback and I will post some pictures when they come in!

Just piling on...

I have 3 (small, medium and large). They nest inside one another for storage. Had them for 2-3 years now (their purchases were staggered as the kids bought me gifts...). No, it ain't a Yeti. But it works perfectly for me. No scratch hazard, they hold up and hold the ice well for a full day on the lake. I usually stock with a combination of cold blocks and ice (along with the drinks). I do the same thing with the protection, using the feet from Lowes. However, they don't allow glass on my lake, so now that is rare... Even so, no issues, no leaks. A good product.

3 seasons with my large red one. Color still looks new and has no issues. When the zipper is kept closed, it'll hold ice for much longer than we're out. The key statement is "when the zipper is closed" It's like reminding the kids to turn the light off when they leave a room. :banghead:

Got my new coolers today! They look great. Can't wait to see how they work in this 100*+ Alabama weather.

image.jpg

Back