• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR 210 sold...now what?

M2krafty

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey folks! I just sold my 2011 AR210 for an upgrade. It was great, but as I've posted before, I wanted more. Really, I was dissapointed in the power when we were loaded up with people. Also, when we did slow speed cruising (which is not really frequent) it's just a pain to keep straight. Sometimes I just got sick of wrestling the steering endlessly. All that said, we really loved most aspects of the boat and it was hard to see it go.

Now, for the next boat.... I would really consider many different options, including non-jet boats (both inboard or I/O). I like the thought of surfing, but realistically my kids still just want to tube. With that in mind, it's just too much of a price hike to go to a surf boat. I'm kind of leaning toward 23-25 foot boats for increased capacity and power. I'm hoping you guys can give some direction based on your experiences. The easy solution is a used Yamaha 24 footer. I'm sure I'd be super happy with that option. I've looked at them thousands of times on the old internet. I also run into a few 2014-2016 Chaparral jet boats that seem attainable. Anything to worry about with these? The Chaparral name seems to have some good credibility in the market still.

Thanks for any input you might have. I'll keep digging through the archives for old posts as well.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I sold my SX210 on Tuesday. I'm not sure what your budget is, but with the increasing cost of Yamahas wakeboats aren't that much more expensive.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sold my SX210 on Tuesday. I'm not sure what your budget is, but with the increasing cost of Yamahas wakeboats aren't that much more expensive.
This surprised me a LOT when I looked at the used market. You can get a $60k 242x or a $60k Wake Boat if you're willing to go a few years older.

If you don't need/want some of the features VERY inherent to a jet boat, the wake boats have some distinct advantages.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What about a budget wake/surf boat?
They Hey Day boats can be had brand new for like $55-$60k.

I personally wouldn't buy one due to the look.
I just got a wakesurf boat, a Moomba, felt is was great price/value over other boats.

M2krafty

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's very interesting. I have very little exposure to inboards or other types of wake surf boats. Can someone clue me into the compromises you'd encounter with a dedicated wakeboard/surf boat (like a Moomba or Mastercraft 23 foot boat)?

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's very interesting. I have very little exposure to inboards or other types of wake surf boats. Can someone clue me into the compromises you'd encounter with a dedicated wakeboard/surf boat (like a Moomba or Mastercraft 23 foot boat)?
Please read my thread i just made. It goes over some details.

M2krafty

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I guess budget would ideally be around $40k, but I would consider going a bit higher if I had to.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
But what do you want to do with it? For 40K you could get some interesting boats.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When we sold our 2011 SX210 after 5 years, we moved to a v-drive wakeboat. I don't regret the move at all. Don't get me wrong - the Yamaha was a fantastic boat but for US where/how we boat, the wakeboat is just more versatile - holds more people, rides smoother, is much quieter, tracks at all speeds as those on a rail, watersports functionality, etc.. Of course, it was also much more expensive to purchase. $40K puts you in striking range of used wakboats in the 21-23 foot range from probably about 2010 or so. Many people with these boats are extremely meticulous so I wouldn't be afraid of one in that age range at all if it has been well maintained.

portlandbucfan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I would really consider a Cobalt or Regal. I went back and forth on Cobalt/Yamaha. Wifes first boat so thought experience of Yamaha be the best (reliability, seating, etc).

M2krafty

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You got that for $40k?
Great question. Honestly we do some entertaining and lots of tubing right now. I had high hopes of my kids wakeboarding and surfing, but they still just want to tube. Surely at some point they'll grow out of that (they're 15 and 18) but for now they like it, so whatever. I guess a little of everything is fine for now. In short, 4-12 people, tubing, some wakeboarding, entertaining.

M2krafty

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would really consider a Cobalt or Regal. I went back and forth on Cobalt/Yamaha. Wifes first boat so thought experience of Yamaha be the best (reliability, seating, etc).
Sure like the Cobalt boats. Since I was a kid on the lakes, they have always been the gold standard of boats in my mind. I recently have started to appreciate the Regals as well. They seem to be on the leading edge of design and are just gorgeous. I also see a lot of Montereys that have caught my eye...

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Sure like the Cobalt boats. Since I was a kid on the lakes, they have always been the gold standard of boats in my mind. I recently have started to appreciate the Regals as well. They seem to be on the leading edge of design and are just gorgeous. I also see a lot of Montereys that have caught my eye...
V-drives, jets, i/o’s oh my.....

Are you conscience of cost or payment?

If you are paying cash of course a stupid question. If you are financing, newer boats (2018+) have much better rates and longer terms so a certain budgetary payment may buy you an older cheaper boat or the same monthly payment range could buy you a much newer/nicer boat.

Chaparral has the vortex line of course, but their two lower-priced surf forward i/o’s come with the Malibu surfgate system and start in the 50’s.

You want power? You can build a heavily-loaded vortex VR 2430 with 600hp, pump-out head and their ASP surf system for $79k (add 10k for the more flashy VRX version). I’d take the VR over the 252XE/360hp/no pump-out head for the same price.

Monterey also builds a beautiful boat, with available forward i/o’s in the event of future surfing, but pricey compared to the other options i mentioned.