• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 and SX190 on Great Lakes

Wade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello

We recently bought a 2014 Yamaha AR190 for use at our cottage on Lake Huron. Can anyone share how these boats perform on the great lakes. What kind of waves and weather conditions are adequate? Do you need to stay close to shore or do they perform good going several miles out? We plan to install a GPS and ship to shore radio before using the boat on Lake Huron.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not familiar with Lake Huron but I have seen 190s perform well on the crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini Bahamas.

I would not intentionally venture out into anything more than 2' seas and would not want to get caught in anything more than 4' unless they were very widely spaced.

When you install your VHF Radio I recommend getting one with DSC capability and a built in GPS receiver. Standard Horizon has an inexpensive model with both.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce what does the GPS receiver in the VHF radio do for me vs. one without? I am in the market to buy a radio but not sure which one to get.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce what does the GPS receiver in the VHF radio do for me vs. one without? I am in the market to buy a radio but not sure which one to get.
The GX1700 is what I and many others have. http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=83&encProdID=8E6B84CBCC75E5A9C52CA71AA33BA6F5&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

The primary benefit is that if there is a problem even my youngest son can press the red button to send a distress signal that will include GPS coordinates.

The secondary benefit is not needing to buy and connect a GPS receiver.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ah ha, ok cool. That makes good sense. Thanks for the explanation.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Wade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All

Thank you for your responses related to Ship to shore radios with GPS. However, I was hoping to start conversation on this thread on the water and wave conditions a Yamaha AR190 is capable of handling especially in regards to larger bodies of water (Great Lakes, Oceans). We recently bought a 2014 Yamaha AR190 for use at our cottage on Lake Huron. Can anyone share how these boats perform on the great lakes or oceans. What kind of waves and weather conditions are adequate? Do you need to stay close to shore or do they perform good going several miles out?

We plan to install a GPS chart plotter and ship to shore radio (with built in GPS) before using the boat on Lake Huron. I also plan to have all other safety equipment (life preservers, flares, etc.) Please comment on any experience you can share regarding the boats ability to handle the water conditions of oceans and great lakes. We can discuss proper safety equipment on a separate thread if possible. Thank You for any help discussing the boats capability on large bodies of water.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@tim2808, @ArmyChief could you guys share your experience with your 192s in the ocean?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@OUT ON THE REEF, has lots of experience in salt water with his FSH which has the same lower hull and engine. You should watch his videos.

Wade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank You Bruce

Wade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No worries. Thanks. I am also investigating safety equipment elsewhere and appreciate your passion.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 190's will handle big water like a 19ft boat handles big water. They will limit your days you will not be able to go out on the great lakes everyday but if you pick you weather and days well they will do great. As mentioned in a post further up in this thread 2 ft or less is ideal. Can the the 190 handle more sure it can I saw 190's battle 3-4 ft waves at short intervals for 60 miles offshore and they did fine but I think all of them would tell you it wasn't the most comfortable ride. If you want something that can get you miles out into the lake everyday you probably will want a boat with higher free board in general then the Yamaha line up but if you want a boat you will have a blast in when the conditions permit the 190's will do just fine.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
here is a great short clip of a 192 in rough water.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You know his wife was bitchin him out Big time.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know his wife was bitchin him out Big time.
My least favorite part of this video is this guy put his kids upfront which is a big no no. Anytime your heading into big water everyone should be behind the windshield and if you cant get everyone behind the windshield you have too many people on the boat to be venturing out into big water. To top it off one of his kids upfront doesn't even have a life jacket on. I actually just noticed something I have never noticed before in this video as well if you turn the volume up as they are taking the beating at about the 25 second mark you can actually hear one of the kids screaming STOP PAPA STOP PAPA!

Last edited:

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I loved your comment @octavio3311. My wife gets pissed at me for all kinds of stuff I do on the boat. lol

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll second that comment, even if she does the same stuff when she's driving and then says, "What would you like me to do?" its the water, not me.....

We've only been on a calm lake with ours so I have no rough water experience nearing 2' waves....