• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 performance issue

Jcmarthaller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello. We recently purchased a 2015 AR190. Single 1.8l engine. This is our first summer with it. I have started having problems with acceleration and top speed. It is intermittent. Sometimes at its worst I can't even get to 10mph. I have changed the spark plugs and put some injector cleaner in it and it seemed to run better after that but it's doing it again now. I run now ethanol 87 in it. Are my fuel injecters bad? Any suggestions? Thanks

Dirtymunoz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Subscribed to this thread. Where do.you boat at?

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before purchasing did you take it for a test drive and did it get up to the 40's?

Jcmarthaller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did not test drive it. Last week I sent off the fuel injectors and had them cleaned, tested, etc. None were great and one was really bad. After putting them back in my acceleration is much better and my top speed seems to be about 35/36mph. I feel like I should be able to go over 40 though. Seems like the top end is missing something

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did not test drive it. Last week I sent off the fuel injectors and had them cleaned, tested, etc. None were great and one was really bad. After putting them back in my acceleration is much better and my top speed seems to be about 35/36mph. I feel like I should be able to go over 40 though. Seems like the top end is missing something
What revs are you getting at top speed? What's your elevation?

Jcmarthaller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gauge goes up to 8000 but it seems like once I hit 6800/7000 nothing after that does anything. I am at sea level in the intercoastal.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gauge goes up to 8000 but it seems like once I hit 6800/7000 nothing after that does anything. I am at sea level in the intercoastal.
I get ~41mph at 7100 rpm in my '17 AR190. I boat around 500ft ASL. You're not far off from good.

Check the impeller for damage. Dings/dents/scrapes on the leading edge are the biggest culprits.
Check clearance around the wear ring between the impeller and the ring. I think it's supposed to be .030in or so. I would have to dig up the specs
Seal the intake tunnel (Like this)
Consider an L13 Pump Cone to help remove cavitation and "slip"
Ensure the bottom of the hull is nice and clean
Remove as much weight from the bow as you can

Best I've ever seen is 43mph on a cool calm day with a light load on slightly "rippled" water. I also had the bimini stowed, just one other person on board, and about 1/2 tank of fuel. Normal "HOT" summer day with the family and dog aboard, and the bimini deployed. I'm high 30's low 40's depending on where people are sitting and how the conditions are. Anything in the 40mph range will be right on point for that boat at WOT, you won't get much more from it without extensive mods, and even then you're likely only into the mid 40's.

Jcmarthaller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll definitely check all this out thank you!

Steve73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are def in top end range. A few factors to consider, How many people on board?, Current and current direction? Wind? Bimini open or closed?

I have a 2018 AR190 and boat in the Upper Chesapeake Bay. Top speed I have reached is 40 mph... that was flat seas with little to no wind. Bimini was open. And it was just my wife and dog (30 lbs) and I on board. With 4 adults I topped out at 37-38 mph under similar conditions. Fastest I ever hit was 42mph but that back bay near ocean city nj, no wind, bimini closed up, and just my wife and dog on board. Actually it was the day my profile picture was taken. Definitely a fun area to boat if you are ever down there.

Jcmarthaller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok by the sounds of it I'm just about there with my top speed. I'll double check my impeller, pump, etc and make sure it's all looming good. Guess my problem was really just my fuel injectors. Does that mean I should replace my fuel pump as well (given that I believe the fuel filter is housed inside of it)?