• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 prices?

jman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What have people been getting the AR190 for? Local dealers aren’t going $1 off MSRP and not throwing in anything. Odd, is the AR190 that popular?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In my shopping experience it didn't matter if it was a popular model or not it was a Yamaha and the dealer sold out every year here in SW FLA and at most they might throw in a USCG package, but then made up for that and then some with dealer fees and so called prep. That's what lead us to buy used and take the saved money for upgrades we wanted, but most importantly it brought us to the great forum and these wonderful folks with so much experience and patience with us newbies! Either way if you buy a Yamaha you are going to be happy and also have these folks to help out with questions....:winkingthumbsup"

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was told by my Yamaha dealership the 190 is THE most popular boat they sell and it's not close, he said if they had 10 on their lot today they would be sold tomorrow.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was told by my Yamaha dealership the 190 is THE most popular boat they sell and it's not close, he said if they had 10 on their lot today they would be sold tomorrow.
That dealer wouldn’t by any chance have been trying to sell you a 190... :)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Statistically they probably are the most popular models from a dealer as they are the most financially accessible for a family and fit in a standard garage. My guess for second most popular would be the SX and AR240's. It would be interesting to know how many units Yamaha sell each year per model.

Jack Bailey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought at sx190 and was looking at the ar190. Performance east in goldsboro nc will sell a ar190 with 3yr warranty for $29500 otd.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got $500 off MSRP ("The Boat Show Price") and a free 2yr YES warranty extension in May of 2017.

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought at sx190 and was looking at the ar190. Performance east in goldsboro nc will sell a ar190 with 3yr warranty for $29500 otd.
Thanks for that; Goldsboro is within driving distance for me and sure enough they have $29.5K listed! It’s an option. What I’d really like though is to buy one used and benefit from a new buyer’s depreciation, however, I can’t find any decent deals! What is up with the used pricing on these boats?! Searching nation-wide on boattrader, eBay, and locally on Craigslist people consistently ask 29K for used 2017 models! I get asking high and looking to haggle, but basically MSRP for a used boat probably out of warranty?! I’ve found a few (like 3) 2014-2015 listings in the 19K range with flaws and sun damage but for the most part it’s 27K-29K for every year. Even found one asking above MSRP without extras. Totally out of line with logic and NADA.

Are people just crazy trying to get their money out of a purchase they decided they didn’t want, or do these boats actually hold fair market value totally out of line with typical depreciation trends? The way the used market is right now, it’s looking like new is the better deal... Thanks for any input!

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Simple economics, low inventory + popular demand + start of boating season for the folks up north = at market prices or higher. Also if folks are trying to sell boats that are just a couple years old they are probably pretty tight on the price, considering they more than likely paid MSRP or above when they bought...With that out of the way, welcome to the boards :Welcome: and hopefully to the Yamaha Boat Owners world, these boats compared to other boats as you probably know are priced right whether new or used, they are a great bang for the buck, easy to maintain, and a fun experience for most. We bought last year (SX190) a 2014 for 19K in great shape with no extras and haven't regretted a moment, if I was looking and couldn't find anything reasonably priced in the used market I would take the plunge and buy new without hesitation, just my opinion. Good luck in your search.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.............. Totally out of line with logic and NADA.

Are people just crazy trying to get their money out of a purchase they decided they didn’t want, or do these boats actually hold fair market value totally out of line with typical depreciation trends? The way the used market is right now, it’s looking like new is the better deal... Thanks for any input!
Personally I think the NADA is out of line on most things, Yamaha boats in particular I think they are way off. It appears to me that they apply the same "derating" of price for condition/hours/features to a Yamaha as other boats with FAR FAR more complicated drive systems. Yamaha doesn't sell a boat with "options", nor do they have the highly complex drive system of other boats. So "derating" the price for run time on a Yamaha shouldn't be considered the same as a sterndrive or outboard. On top of that our "base" MSRP comes with all the options available, where you have to "add" on other manufacturers to get to a high MSRP (that is then VERY negotiable, vs Yamaha's tight hold to MSRP) that isn't really indicative of what the boat sold for. Yamaha's sell for MSRP, other sell for often less than 85% of MSRP, so if you take that 15% away right out off the front NADA is moving away from being accurate.

Take my boat for example, '17 AR190 that is essentially factory stock. Has 48hrs on it, and if you set it right next to a brand new boat, I would challenge anyone to find the difference and tell which is which. There are no mechanical parts that have suffered any major wear. There are no soft parts that have suffered any major wear. So why would I NOT expect it to be worth the same amount of money as a new one? Because "that's the way the industry works"? That answers BS in my opinion. Critical thinking prevails in my world, and there is no reason that one boat should be valued significantly different than the other in this scenario.

Financing is the other driving reason we bought new. If I was paying cash outright then I would have bought used. Since I'm financing, the terms on a the new boat were better than a used boat, and total cash out of pocket was almost a wash between the two......so I got a new one.

What would be great is some sort of index on sales/use/property tax paid. You know the government has those numbers in a database somewhere, and they are usually based on bill of sale paperwork. That data would give a FAR FAR more accurate assessment of true market value on a used vehicle. I doubt we'll ever see that kind of data though, so instead we're left with sorting through piles and piles of used boat ads, and trying to figure out some correlation between sold price and asking price, and then making our best guess.

At the end of the day if you're happy with what you paid for what you got......isn't that all that really matters!?!?

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Take my boat for example, '17 AR190 that is essentially factory stock....So why would I NOT expect it to be worth the same amount of money as a new one? Because "that's the way the industry works"? That answers BS in my opinion. Critical thinking prevails in my world, and there is no reason that one boat should be valued significantly different than the other in this scenario
I see logic in most of what you said except for this. It has nothing to do with the industry and everything to do with common sense. Regardless of condition, used items are simply not worth what new ones are. Doesn’t matter if you’re talking about a boat, car, trailer, or even a toaster or a nice shirt. The second it belongs to you first, it’s worth less. Otherwise any sane buyer would simply buy new themselves. Good condition is always more valuable than poor condition, but used does not equal new. It doesn’t even matter if you bought it, stored it in a garage and never turned the key. It’s now going to be a 2-owner, the 1yr manufacture warranty is over, and it’s last years “old” model. All of these things reduce value both to the second buyer and beyond.

It does seem like these boats don’t depreciate quite as quickly as others and there are good reasons for that as you’ve mentioned; I’m just looking for what a reasonable realistic depreciation expectation is. Whether I buy new or find a reasonable price on a used one.

jgpncll

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased my 2017 AR 190 almost 3 weeks ago with 50 hours on it for $26,500. It took two weeks of back and fourth with the guy to get it down to that price. He was originally asking $29,000. I felt like I over paid. But, after searching for other used 2016 and newer in the southeast and also having no luck finding a new 2018 I guess I did ok on what I paid. Love the boat so far and have already put 20 hours on it as well as multiple modifications and upgrades.