• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 shuts down

DHAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased a AR190 from Burts Mega Mall a couple months ago. The boat had 8.8 hours, I'm at the river going about 30 mph and the cuts off. Restarting unsuccessful went through all the basics and kill switch test w service dept. I dropped the boat off at the dealer yester day . Has this happen to ANYONE? Sold on the most dependable boat on the market!?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @DHAR190 to JBers.net. That's terrible about the engine shutting down like that. There are a few electronic things like the kill switches, ignition, and ecu that could cause that. Usually it's a simple fix, but finding it can be the hardest part. Hopefully berts can figure it out ASAP so that you can be back on the water soon. Keep us posted.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board @DHAR190 sorry to hear about your problems, usually the yamaha's are pretty trouble free as far as the engines go, maybe it was just a loose kill switch that needed adjustment or loose ground but definitely not a fun way to start off a new ownership experience,

update you profile with your location so we know where you're at,

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry for the bad luck, but welcome to the forum. Ill be watching this thread in case it ever happens to me.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Check your rear wet storage for not being latched 100%. I had a friend close mine and it wasnt closed all the way. While I was behind the boat tubing, it died on my dad and scared him half to death that he broke my new boat. I told them to check that first and it fired right up. Theres one there, the clean out ports, your lanyard and I think thats it.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had so much stuffed into our wet storage that this happened to us. 2 ropes, 2 floating rings, flip flops, was just enough to push up the cover to not start the motor.

DHAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just received a call from Berts Mega Mall, Findings at this point - "Broken Timing Chain' they will continue to breakdown the motor for complete inspection. Apparently the dealer contacted
Yamaha and there has been a few cases in which this has happened. I'm extremely skeptical at this point based on the boat only having 8.8 hours. I'll keep everyone posted as I receive updates.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These motors have timing chains or belts? I've never heard of a chain breaking, I can't even imagine a new belt going with only 8 hours of use. Weird..

DHAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Further clarification will be provided as I receive information in writing from the dealer.

tuan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dhar 190. So sorry to here about your situation. I just barely bought a 2015 242 limited s and had about 20 hours on it and it's sitting in the shop now for over 3 weeks because the TIMING CHAIN BROKE on it. They have shipped the new engine to Dick's Boat here in Utah, but the timing chain itself is on back order and wont get here till middle of October. My worries that the new engine will have a new VIN that's not going to match with our current title VIN. When we have to sell the boat later it may cause an issue. You and I both did not bargain for this when we bought it brand new. The season is almost over and I took it out only a couple of times. If I knew this would happen, it would of been nicer just to wait till next year to get the boat. Please update as I'm curious if Yamaha will do anything for you.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about the timing chain issue guys. On the bright side at least it's the end of the season and you are covered by warranties. Hopefully this is limited to the newer boats still under a warranty. @ScarabMike recently posted that Yamaha's super charged 1.8 L motors are prone to breaking timing chains. I wonder if this is the same problem but on the non supercharged motors.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sadly it seems that its over ALL years of the 1.8L engines. Originally many thought it was just a bad lot of chains, but they're spread out over all years. The more you search, the more you find with mixed years, mixed number of hours... Its almost like watching a grenade with no pin and wondering if its a dud, or when it will finally blow up. I don't think I'll ever attempt a Bimini crossing in this boat for the very reason that I can be caught with a non functioning motor 30+ miles offshore. I guess for me and the boat, we'll stick to inland lakes.

riderP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
WOW! This scares me a bit. I haven't had any trouble what so ever but, it doesn't seem that it can't happen to me. At least you'll be getting a new, A1 timing chain and shouldn't have to worry about it again.

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@tuan Your title should only have one vin# and it is on the boat itself. with out board boats they title the engines too because they are fairly easy to steal.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
first Ive heard of timing chains breaking on N/A 1.8's. the supercharged PWC versions...yes.

Havent heard of one in a BOAT snapping. how much collateral damage is there when this happens? valves...piston get slapped?

edit: did a little reading.... that makes me sad. imagine that happening POST warranty. hate when companies KNOW there's a problem, but let it go, because it will cost too much to fix....and no real economic backlash to NOT doing so.

I could go on all day about the transmission in my BMW bike.... :/ lol

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@DHAR190 , it would be interesting to know if you are getting spark at the wire. Easy test with a spark tester and it would cut your problem in half; fuel vs. spark.

I would guess that it is electrical causing no spark which then needs to be sorted out at each switch. Yamaha should be able to check the continuity in each of those and sort through this quickly. At least testing the switches should be quick and then if it isn't a switch they could check the ECU etc.

You might want to "lead" your service tech through these ideas otherwise, ask what they are going to do to diagnose and report back. Sometimes I think the answer is that they aren't going to do anything until they can get to it.... then when they do look at it, parts take time to order and arrive.

Hang in there and keep posting the status since every little bit helps us to sort through this.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
first Ive heard of timing chains breaking on N/A 1.8's. the supercharged PWC versions...yes.

Havent heard of one in a BOAT snapping. how much collateral damage is there when this happens? valves...piston get slapped?

edit: did a little reading.... that makes me sad. imagine that happening POST warranty. hate when companies KNOW there's a problem, but let it go, because it will cost too much to fix....and no real economic backlash to NOT doing so.
@Peelz x2 on this.
When I was shopping, my mechanic has brought up the timing chain issue with 1.8l but specifically regarding supercharged skis. He felt that the breakage was primarily due to the combination of power and the way people drive these things, including himself. By extension, he felt that it could be an issue with supercharged 192s...

So... what's the bottom line here? :(

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Holy cow. Like others in here, this is the first I've heard of this issue and I'm surprised. Hope you get it back asap.