• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 speaker upgrade

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did my first audio upgrade. Swapped out the stock speakers for 4 kicker 45KM604WL speakers. Really happy with the way they look. They are classy, not disco! They also do a nice job of adding some light to the boat!

4072BD4E-DBA7-4469-8E76-DF34E74E4357.jpeg
9D7876B3-F4EC-48DE-8468-93AD2F5BFC68.jpeg

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those look great 👍🏻 Was it a straight swap with the stock speakers? Any customization at all necessary?

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those look great 👍🏻 Was it a straight swap with the stock speakers? Any customization at all necessary?
Had to run 12v power for the led’s. I hooked them into the courtesy light switch so I could turn them on and off on demand. The speakers fit into stock holes, but had to drill new screw holes.

meschroeder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Do you have a diagram or can you explain how you wired the led’s into the courtesy light. That’s exactly what I’m wanting to do. Not interested in any color but blue. Just curious how you got all the wires over to the switch.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered this cable off Amazon

1. Ran wire from Front Left through bow to front right (Led Power connection).
2. Spliced Wire 1 and wire 2 and a connection to Front Right speaker,
3. Wire 3 runs to Rear right. Spliced to wire 4 and Rear Right Speaker
4. Wire 4 runs through engine compartment and connects to Rear Left speaker

The switch panel has both a positive and ground on it for each circuit. I spliced in to the existing switch wire and then connected Wires 2 & 3. I then did the same for the ground. I also put a 2a fuse after my splice.

Attachments

Jetboater007

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I ordered this cable off Amazon

1. Ran wire from Front Left through bow to front right (Led Power connection).
2. Spliced Wire 1 and wire 2 and a connection to Front Right speaker,
3. Wire 3 runs to Rear right. Spliced to wire 4 and Rear Right Speaker
4. Wire 4 runs through engine compartment and connects to Rear Left speaker

The switch panel has both a positive and ground on it for each circuit. I spliced in to the existing switch wire and then connected Wires 2 & 3. I then did the same for the ground. I also put a 2a fuse after my splice.
Hey there, I read your post a couple weeks ago and loved the way the speakers look lighted. I ordered the same speakers and wire you recommended. I’m out of my comfort zone wiring so I’m going to pay someone to do the work. I didn’t see much feedback on the sound improvement over the stock speakers. Was it an obvious sound improvement, more volume, cleaner, crisper, better bass?
Thanks for the original posts and your feedback.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was it an obvious sound improvement, more volume, cleaner, crisper, better bass?

@Jetboater007 - The new speakers give a much cleaner crisper sound. From a volume perspective, I'd say they are about 15% louder. I can now hear them from the drivers seat over the engines at 25 MPH, but just barely. Bottom line is the Jensen head unit only puts out about 15 watts. To get loud your going to need an amplifier. The speakers are rated to 150 Watts, so the volume is there if you send it. My next step is to put in a Kicker KMC4 head unit. This should give me about 25 watts. My main goal is to hear it clearly while doing about 6K Rpm's. If that doesn't get me there, then I'm going with the Amp. That is going to add more wiring and probably a second battery, so I'm trying to avoid that if i can.

Jetboater007

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Jetboater007 - The new speakers give a much cleaner crisper sound. From a volume perspective, I'd say they are about 15% louder. I can now hear them from the drivers seat over the engines at 25 MPH, but just barely. Bottom line is the Jensen head unit only puts out about 15 watts. To get loud your going to need an amplifier. The speakers are rated to 150 Watts, so the volume is there if you send it. My next step is to put in a Kicker KMC4 head unit. This should give me about 25 watts. My main goal is to hear it clearly while doing about 6K Rpm's. If that doesn't get me there, then I'm going with the Amp. That is going to add more wiring and probably a second battery, so I'm trying to avoid that if i can.
I’m with you and would like to avoid doing amp/ subs, battery and spending thousands. I looked at the KMC4 and while the face looks larger the back looks rounded and I’m wondering if it would fit as is. I took screen shot of the kmc2 which I know is a direct replacement and compared to the kmc4 and the rounded back looks exactly the same from the pics. I just researched further and ironically our current unit has a larger hole than the KMC4 requires which is only 3 inches however the depth required is 4.75 compared to 4 depth on the KMC2. It would be sweet if the KMC4 would be a simple plug and play install.

Yar190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m with you and would like to avoid doing amp/ subs, battery and spending thousands. I looked at the KMC4 and while the face looks larger the back looks rounded and I’m wondering if it would fit as is. I took screen shot of the kmc2 which I know is a direct replacement and compared to the kmc4 and the rounded back looks exactly the same from the pics. I just researched further and ironically our current unit has a larger hole than the KMC4 requires which is only 3 inches however the depth required is 4.75 compared to 4 depth on the KMC2. It would be sweet if the KMC4 would be a simple plug and play install.
Looking to put a KMC2 into my 2020 AR190. Are you sure the plug for my factory Jensen will match the plug on the KMC2? Hoping to do this by the 4th, just wondering if I’ll have to do any splicing?