• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 vs AR195 for Denver altitude boating

ZJbrandon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone,
New member here, joined to glean some info on these new Yamaha boats, been enjoying reading various sections, threads, etc.
I've previously owned a Kawasaki JetSki, and 15 ft. Seadoo Sportster, now looking at buying a 2019 19' Yamaha for next season.

We are casual boaters, some cruising around, some tubing, a little wake-boarding (not much), and a fair amount of just islanding and chilling at our favorite Lake, Boyd Lake in Loveland, CO.
If it were not for our high altitude, I would most likely not be convinced I should consider the supercharged version, looking at our habits and needs. If I could get out on the water with an AR190, I think I'd know right away if that's enough power for us, but the dealer says they rarely sell any of the NA engine boats on account of our altitude - everyone orders the supercharged ones.
I just want enough power to get the job done, I don't need to be able to pin 8 passengers in their seats to impress them, and I would favor longevity and reliability over a few extra HP, if only it were that simple of a comparison. Conversely, this is a big purchase for us, with payments that will go on for a long time, and I don't want to regret not getting the 195.

As it stands, the plan is to hit the Denver Boat Show in January and get some up close and personal time with the boats.

Anyone in here have experience with these boats at altitude?
Any thoughts on which one or why?

Thanks in advance!
Brandon

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
For sure get the supercharged 195 model. That elevation can be crippling to a NA boat. Either boat you go with will probably still need some impeller work to get it running at peak performance. I would get the dealer to agree to re-pitch the impeller to achieve max rpm.

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am at elevation, just not as much as you are. We normally boat at about 4400' and occasionally at a lake which is 6200'. We bought a 2018 AR190 and it is a dog at the 6200' lake. Yamaha will re-pitch the impeller for free. I was told it will be re-pitched for 4500' which is perfect for us. Unfortunately the impeller is getting done right now and I won't be able to test it until spring.

ZJbrandon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks guys. Yeah the dealer mentioned that Yamaha will cover cost to swap the impeller on an AR190, but not the 195.

When I had cavitation on our Seadoo, I swapped in a Solas performance and it was just fine for us, popped right out, and pulled me (200lb) up quick on a wakeboard and tops around 42mph was plenty good enough for me, granted it is a smaller boat.

ZJbrandon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
any significant differences as far as maintenance?
does anyone feel like reliability or longevity is compromised with the SC version?

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am in SW Denver and will mostly boat at Chatfield. I too am going to the boat show to talk to Tri City Cycle, the only Yamaha boat dealer in the area. I am planning on a 195 purely because of the altitude.

Last edited:

ZJbrandon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Steve, funny that was exactly my plan as well... until..
Last weekend I found and bought a 2017 AR190, from Wyoming.
I'm told it was already re-impellered when sold new, so... we'll see!
It's not going to hit the water until late May or June, so there will be plenty of anxiety to go around, lol
gives me lots of time to tinker with it in the garage, i suppose.
The AR195 looks really nice, and all the new changes would be just awesome, but the price difference is a factor in our budget, so when I saw this used one close enough to grab, we went for it. *fingers crossed!

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I pulled the trigger on a 2019 AR195 in gray with the gray tower at the boat show. That red tower choice is REALLY red! Got a deal I'm happy with and the 2 additional years of YES Yamaha warranty. Pick it up in a month or so when it comes in.

Happy and nervous at the same time.