• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR192 In Rough Water

Just image doing that and worse for 5-6 hours straight, that's what the 19' experience on the 2015 Bimini trip.

That was some tough riding. The last one he slowed down on while on eth backside. I bet he got some water in the boat then.

That's not fun.:sorry:

2nd owner of that boat beware:bag:

is it just me or could he have done that much better?

Didn't need to go that fast for sure. But I'm curious how he made it back in, because then he'd be going WITH the waves and they weren't small.

Didn't need to go that fast for sure. But I'm curious how he made it back in, because then he'd be going WITH the waves and they weren't small.
Looks like our "pass" to the gulf on some days. It can be 4 footers with the gulf being relatively calm. My wife would have been smacking the crap out of me to slow down.

Coming back in is easier. As long as you keep speed up a little and not allow waves to swamp you from behind. I love going with them. Ride up on them and sorta surf and let it push you down the other side.

I am not a big fan of those kids by themselves in the bow. Would be real easy for one of them to go overboard and then you have a real issue.

You can see, once past the inlet the conditions calm down a little, certainly could of had a cockpit full if hit those waves a little wrong :(.

I am not a big fan of those kids by themselves in the bow. Would be real easy for one of them to go overboard and then you have a real issue.
At the very least the second kid needs a life jacket on for sure.

At the very least the second kid needs a life jacket on for sure.
Wow! Didn't catch that! He looks young to not have a PFD on! Lotta traffic in that inlet too!

If I was in something like that, everyone on the boat would have life jackets on regardless of age.

Looks like our "pass" to the gulf on some days. It can be 4 footers with the gulf being relatively calm. My wife would have been smacking the crap out of me to slow down.

Coming back in is easier. As long as you keep speed up a little and not allow waves to swamp you from behind. I love going with them. Ride up on them and sorta surf and let it push you down the other side.

On smaller waves I absolutely agree going with is much better. Softer ride too. However, on bigger waves, not so much. I was coming back into the Destin East Pass one day with the waves. They were descent size and my nose dipped the top of the water after I went over the back of a wave. It was just enough to come on top of my anchor locker, but not into the boat. I cut across at an angle since then with no issue. If I remember correctly, you had a 23 foot boat. That's probably a clear advantage over my 21 foot.

Also, I agree about the Pass. Destin's pass looks like a washing machine sometimes. Very sketchy.

LOL, that video looks like use leaving Port Everglades for Bimini in 2014. A little worse in that video though, hahaha.

We were very sore.................

I don't know what I'm talking about, but it looked to me like his throttle control was pretty decent. I've learned coming off plane in rough water is NOT good in these boats, and you kind off need to stay in it to stay on plane. At least he kept it moving forward and in the right direction, didn't pussy foot around it and get in big trouble. The end of that video was sketchy though.. Bad water to be in.

Last edited:
I don't know what I'm talking about, but it looked to me like his throttle control was pretty decent. I've learned coming off plane in rough water is NOT good in these boats, and you kind off need to stay in it to stay on plane. At least he kept it moving forward and in the right direction, didn't pussy foot around it and get in big trouble. The end of that video was sketchy though.. Bad water to be in.

I agree! The worst thing he did was slow down at the end. These boats really are not designed for this but are more than capable if you know what you are doing. In big surf you are better off to keep the throttle up and take the beating then try and play with it. If you try and play with the throttle to make it easier and you down throttle at the wrong time you are taking a nose dive into a wave.

This issue isn't just the waves being big. Since that's an inlet, the period of the wave is shorter and the waves are not coming in uniform (some from one direction, some from another), which presents a huge issue for swamping. Taking those waves head on with that short of a boat was a bad decision for this guy, that could have ended completely different had he not been so lucky.

At Lake Powell we get nasty wave patterns, usually nothing with 4' waves, but when two tour boats pass each other in the main channel, it looks like puke the rest of the day almost. Best thing to do is fill the aft ballast (if you have any) weight down the back of the boat with people, split the waves by taking them at an angle greater than 25 degrees (sometimes as much as 45 degrees if the wave is high and period between them is low).

A while back, our local DNR posted something to Facebook about waves on inland lakes *can* be worse than waves in the ocean... I've never been in the ocean on a small boat, so I don't know from experience... but I can tell you that if I saw that inlet and had to cross it, my plan of attack would have been completely different.

And yeah, kids without PFD's and sitting in the bow was a really bad idea.

Back