• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR192 Overheating and other misc issues

croman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We bought our 2014 AR192 towards the end of summer last year and got to use it a few times. One thing I noticed was the dreaded heat soak issue. So over the winter I bought a used SVHO Intercooler due to many recommendations on these forums.

In prep for summer this year I changed the oil, put in new spark plugs and I also swapped out to the SVHO Intercooler. Everything went smooth with zero issues. The engine started up fine and was running super smooth.

We put the boat in the water last weekend and the first thing I notice is that I could not get the engine to go over 5500rpm. So we are tooling around and about 10 min later after going thru a no-wake area, all of a sudden it starts running as expected and off we go. We keep it relatively calm, never really going over 20mph and about 30 minutes later we get an engine overheating alarm. I immediately shut it down and we sat there for about 20 minutes before I started it back up and started to head home to our dock, taking it pretty easy. I did look at the pissers and they seemed to be outputting water just fine. About 5 min later, the alarm goes off again. At this point we were close to a public ramp, so we called family and they brought the trailer to the ramp and we took it out.

So reading over the week I came up with some thing to check.. so here is what I did..

1. Took off the intercooler and looked for anything that could be plugging any flow... did not find anything
2. Took off the top of the Supercharger, checked the gears and they rotated one way and would not even budge the other. While we had the top off, we also opened up to make sure there was nothing in there that could cause any kind of flow issue.
3. Took off the Jet Pump to look for anything stuck in it and it was perfectly clear. (did have a few questions about this, posting those below).
4. Since we could not find any issues, we put the original intercooler back on and will put it back in the water tomorrow to check it out. I just can not imagine though that it is an issue with the bigger intercooler

Can anyone think of any thing else that may be causing this? That may have caused the 5500 rpm issue at the beginning of the day? I am lost right now as to what the issue could be. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

As for the Jet Pump questions... so I watched a video online about taking it off to inspect and looked simple enough, however when we went to go remove it, there was one big difference.

Here is a picture of some piece on the side of ours that is not in the video, and not only that.. but it is not on any part schematic I look at online for the Jet Pump Assembly. I have no clue what it is, but whatever it is.. it appears broken. Anyone have any idea on what it is? or what it does?

Attachments

croman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh and this is what the Impeller looked like, a few minor bends that we ended up grinding smooth. This should be ok I would think.. thoughts?

Thanks again everyone for any suggestions on the Overheating issue

Attachments

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I know this is simple but make sure clean out plug is sealed and tight. I hope someone like @SamCF or @swatski chimes in. They probably have an idea as to what could be wrong. Hope you get it figured out!

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you feel the water coming out of the pisser’s when the alarm went off?

Did you check the cooling intake to make sure nothing was clogging the intake?

Did you run a weed eater line through your pisser lines?

Did you add another dedicated pisser line when you upgraded to the SVHO intercooler?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Those black tabs appear to be broken off Thrust Vectors from Jet Boat Pilot. Not sure why they would be broken like that.

And your impeller chipped up like that could be causing the over heat issue. Could be sending air into the cooling intake along with water.

Last edited:

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, jet pumps look like this boat was stored on the water quite a bit. Need to peek at your cooling intake screen inside the jet pump and make sure it isn't clogged from sitting on the water.

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Something that has been discussed with upgrading the intercooler is adding a dedicated water line fed from the pump so that the larger intercooler isn't eating up too much of the engine's cooling water. That said, I never had an issue with mine and did not have a dedicated line. I did a second exhaust water line on the intercooler though. I noticed the flow rate through the posters was much less after the upgrade and second line. It took a while at idle before I saw water from all three pissers.

croman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for all the replies!

No, I did not feel how hot the water was coming out of the pissers.

I did check the plug

I have not added a second pisser for the SVHO, can anyone point me in the right direction for doing that? I googled it but did not find anything

Thank you for that link on the cooling intake screen. I checked it and it was clean.

So today with the original intercooler installed, we went back out and ran it from about an hour with no overheating alarm. I did take the opportunity to feel the heat of the water coming out of the pissers and it was never that hot.. just slightly warm.

So my next step is to put the SVHO back in and try it again, maybe taking everything apart ended up fixing something. I would not think that an intercooler would go bad, has anyone ever had one go bad? I will probably open it up and check out the inside before I put it back in for the test. I will also look at adding another pisser if I can find the info for it

Thanks again! This community is fantastic

Last edited:

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No alarm. That's good. Keep us posted on your progress.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a picture of some piece on the side of ours that is not in the video, and not only that.. but it is not on any part schematic I look at online for the Jet Pump Assembly. I have no clue what it is, but whatever it is.. it appears broken. Anyone have any idea on what it is? or what it does?
Wow, never seen a thrust vector broken off before, thought that wasn't supposed to happen,

knowing the thrust vector has been broken and the damage to your impeller I would proceed with caution on any diagnoses as there's no telling what the previous owner did that could be contributing to the problem.

I would certainly believe the impeller damage might be part of the problem but if you think the boat was stored in the water you may also have internal cooling passages partially blocked, maybe remove the thermostat to see what that looks like,

If you've not seen the video of "how the cooling water flows" in the FAQ tab at the top of the page it's worth looking at, yours' is a different engine but the principal is the same,