• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Ar192 towing a 21ft checkmate

lddv1224

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I was out on Alum Creek with the family today getting ready to head back in. When I noticed a boater frantically waving his arms to get my attention. Turns out he ran out of gas. I broke out my towing line and towed him back to the dock. I wanted to get a picture of the ordeal but didn't want to embarrass him so I decided against it. I was quite surprised on how smoothly the tow went. First time I ever had to tow another boat.

Nice Job...Good Deed Done. What kind of boat and how big? How long was your tow line, how fast did you tow....Where did you tie up to on your boat...what was the weather like, did you have snacks for the ride back (lol)

I always imagined I would use like a Y bridal to the back 2 cleats to spread the load.

Just curious, I've never had to tow anyone but I would help someone out if I could.

Nice Job...Good Deed Done. What kind of boat and how big? How long was your tow line, how fast did you tow....Where did you tie up to on your boat...what was the weather like, did you have snacks for the ride back (lol)

I always imagined I would use like a Y bridal to the back 2 cleats to spread the load.

Just curious, I've never had to tow anyone but I would help someone out if I could.

The boat I towed was a 21 ft Checkmate. I used my 60ft tow line that I use to pull our tube. I stayed in the highest no wake mode setting. Don't want to go any faster because you don't want to have to stop suddenly and have them ram you in the stern.

Thanks...Duh...Just noticed it was in the title. I read the post twice to see if I missed it but forgot about the title.

Nice!

Your good deed for the day.
Having been towed twice (inside of two weeks) in our old 4 Winns, I can appreciate the feeling of needing the tow.
I think perhaps I would not use the stern cleats and instead use the stern rings for the trailer straps for towing. Tie a bridal between them......just a thought.

Good job! I towed a 26' 7,000lb Chris Craft cuddy this weekend. I was happy to help. Pulled him 9-10mph without any issues...

I towed a 22' MasterCraft x25 last summer. I also wanted to take a picture, (especially cause those hard core wake boaters are so anti jetboat), but decided against it. Didn't want to embarrass the guy in front of his crew. But I did turn up my tower speakers for them. :D

The boat I towed was a 21 ft Checkmate. I used my 60ft tow line that I use to pull our tube. I stayed in the highest no wake mode setting. Don't want to go any faster because you don't want to have to stop suddenly and have them ram you in the stern.
@lddv1224 did you tow from the center hook from the stern or did you use the transom hooks?

I towed someone once. I used the transome hook without incident.

You must use care with the Y setup because if your bridle is too short you will pull the hooks together far more than the towing force.

Also two safety items: 1) always have a good knife handy. If the towed boat begins to take on water and sink, it can take you with it... 2) no crew near the tow line and no towing from the tower! If a tow line snaps it will whip and catch someone badly.

Isn't it salvage law, if you throw the line to the stricken vessel it's legally yours??;):D

Nice!

@mark_m I towed him from the center hook on the stern. Looking back on it, might not of been the best way. But didn't have any issues
I'm not sure was curious, cause I would have done the exact same thing. My brother in law has a checkmate I am going to give him grief!

;)

So I was out on Alum Creek with the family today getting ready to head back in. When I noticed a boater frantically waving his arms to get my attention. Turns out he ran out of gas. I broke out my towing line and towed him back to the dock. I wanted to get a picture of the ordeal but didn't want to embarrass him so I decided against it. I was quite surprised on how smoothly the tow went. First time I ever had to tow another boat.
No pictures? Then it didn't happen ... :winkingthumbsup"

Heading to Alum tomorrow -- it will be a zoo.

Back