• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ar230 Starter Relay

Tcoll

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having issues with Starboard engine not cranking. I get a click sound. Will start after several tries. I’m thinking starter relay. Any suggestions on how to access and replace on a 2004 AR230

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having issues with Starboard engine not cranking. I get a click sound. Will start after several tries. I’m thinking starter relay. Any suggestions on how to access and replace on a 2004 AR230
First check the connection to your starter motor to make sure it's not loose or corroded. if not I agree with your assessment as long as the port engine is starting properly. You need to pull the ecu cover for that engine. the battery cables go to the starter relay. There are several writeups on the process. You will likely find burnt contacts on the relay.

Tcoll

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Much appreciated. Port engine starts up fine. Now how to figure how to properly pull ECU without making things worse

Tcoll

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are the write ups on how to properly pull an ECU on this group? Sorry..F’ing new guy and still trying to get my sea legs on navigating the site

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did not read through @Speedling post but I don't think you have to pull the ECM. Please report back with pictures if it is bad.
Welcome to the site. We are here to help.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
First, pull the starter out and check on a battery by running wires to it. It should spin up pretty quick. If not, then starter. They can be rebuilt, or you can buy a new one on Ebay for pretty cheap and they are decent.
As for the relay, don't do it without pulling the starter out and testing that first. It's not as hard as it looks. I used a mirror under the exhaust on the engine bay and had a few lights in there to make sure I could see everything, which I still couldn't. Thank Yamaha for making the top of the engine flat!
But back to the relay...
It's a pain in the rear, and you have to cut all the zip ties that go all over the engine in order to get it out. You have to unbolt the ECM from the exhaust side, so just take the whole stinking tray out. Not the small one, the big one where you have your clean out plugs. Be sure to just unscrew the door, then unscrew the kill switches, and then the drain. Lift the whole thing out and put to the side so you can work in there.
Then, you'll need someone helping you, or a lot of patience to put a wrench on the front and back and try and get it undone.
Take the ECM out and lay it on top of the engine. This is where you can take the ECM apart and see what's going on in there. Not to hard at this point really. You will need to replace it, but it all just bolts in and out.
I say it's not hard, but I do a decent amount of working under cars, so I guess my version of hard isn't the same as most.
I would recommend taking a whole Saturday to do it though.
In the picture, it's at the top right of the box, which would be the bottom right when mounted to the Wall.
I will see if I can find all the old pictures and stuff and do a write up for ya'll... Warning, I have like 20 pictures, lol
Yamaha 6B6-81940-00-00 - . .Starter Relay Assy | Boats.net

DSC01045.JPG

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Looks like I never did complete that write up. Now I gotta see if I have those photos. Everything gets uploaded to Amazon Photos but ummmm... it's unlimited storage...

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I did not read through @Speedling post but I don't think you have to pull the ECM. Please report back with pictures if it is bad.
Welcome to the site. We are here to help.
I think I did in order to get at all the screws easier. I don't recall if it was NECESSARY to or not. I was also diagnosing when I was pulling it all apart.

Tcoll

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First, pull the starter out and check on a battery by running wires to it. It should spin up pretty quick. If not, then starter. They can be rebuilt, or you can buy a new one on Ebay for pretty cheap and they are decent.
As for the relay, don't do it without pulling the starter out and testing that first. It's not as hard as it looks. I used a mirror under the exhaust on the engine bay and had a few lights in there to make sure I could see everything, which I still couldn't. Thank Yamaha for making the top of the engine flat!
But back to the relay...
It's a pain in the rear, and you have to cut all the zip ties that go all over the engine in order to get it out. You have to unbolt the ECM from the exhaust side, so just take the whole stinking tray out. Not the small one, the big one where you have your clean out plugs. Be sure to just unscrew the door, then unscrew the kill switches, and then the drain. Lift the whole thing out and put to the side so you can work in there.
Then, you'll need someone helping you, or a lot of patience to put a wrench on the front and back and try and get it undone.
Take the ECM out and lay it on top of the engine. This is where you can take the ECM apart and see what's going on in there. Not to hard at this point really. You will need to replace it, but it all just bolts in and out.
I say it's not hard, but I do a decent amount of working under cars, so I guess my version of hard isn't the same as most.
I would recommend taking a whole Saturday to do it though.
In the picture, it's at the top right of the box, which would be the bottom right when mounted to the Wall.
I will see if I can find all the old pictures and stuff and do a write up for ya'll... Warning, I have like 20 pictures, lol
Yamaha 6B6-81940-00-00 - . .Starter Relay Assy | Boats.net

DSC01045.JPG

Tcoll

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you sir..much appreciated

Tcoll

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So does this look like the correct part to those more experienced than I

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So does this look like the correct part to those more experienced than I
Looks similar so if it lists your boat you should be good

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Speedling -- Nice write up. I replaced a starter relay last year on my o6. I also started with the starter motor. Relatively cheap and as long as you have it out, Mine as well replace it. Even testing it on a battery does not tell the whole picture as there is no load on it. It is much easier to replace the starter than the relay. So I agree: @Tcoll -- replace the starter first. 30 min and $60 for starter. Vs 4 hours, 2 people and $15 for the relay.

Mine turned out to be the relay too -- so only advice above and beyond Speedling's write up: The relay has an attachment in the front. There is a little access cover on the opposite side of the picture he posted (Bottom Right if the ECU box is mounted to the engine bay wall). Make sure to open that to release the relay (I cannot remember if it was a Nut or just allowed you to release the pins). I was trying to get my relay out for 15 minutes before I realized that.

Also -- AS long as you have the Clean out tray removed, Think about any other work you want to do back there (Scupper valve... Or back up bilge pump. ) Also, be careful -- as the area under the clean out tray is unfinished fiberglass, so you will likely get some fibers in your wrists and forearms before this project is done -- so wear globes and long sleeves.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Speedling -- Nice write up. I replaced a starter relay last year on my o6. I also started with the starter motor. Relatively cheap and as long as you have it out, Mine as well replace it. Even testing it on a battery does not tell the whole picture as there is no load on it. It is much easier to replace the starter than the relay. So I agree: @Tcoll -- replace the starter first. 30 min and $60 for starter. Vs 4 hours, 2 people and $15 for the relay.

Mine turned out to be the relay too -- so only advice above and beyond Speedling's write up: The relay has an attachment in the front. There is a little access cover on the opposite side of the picture he posted (Bottom Right if the ECU box is mounted to the engine bay wall). Make sure to open that to release the relay (I cannot remember if it was a Nut or just allowed you to release the pins). I was trying to get my relay out for 15 minutes before I realized that.

Also -- AS long as you have the Clean out tray removed, Think about any other work you want to do back there (Scupper valve... Or back up bilge pump. ) Also, be careful -- as the area under the clean out tray is unfinished fiberglass, so you will likely get some fivers in your wrists and forearms before this project is done -- so wear globes and long sleeves.

Good luck!
Thanks!
Iirc i tested the starter before getting into the relay. Starter tested good. Don't recall if i pulled it or not.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just replaced both starter relays / solenoids. I order the ones from Glenparts and they were $8 each.

They are slightly different from the OEM where the wire connections enter relay. They are direct sealed wires on OEM. The replacements have Male / Female connectors.

The OEM wires are angled down allowing a clean fit into the ECU. The replacements were not angled and I carefully bent them down to an angle to allow them to fit inside the ECU properly.

Took me and the wife 3 hours to replace both relays. Wasn't in a hurry and had a few beers along the way.

I really want to hear how you guys are getting the starters out in 5 minutes.

When I began the research on my issues, I spent more time than that just trying to figure out what nuts held it in place and how I might go about getting to them. It looks like a big pain to me to get under there and release the starter, so I want to be ready if I have to replace them sometime soon.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm wondering if those $8 starter relays are rated for marine use.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No idea. It was worth it to me to make sure that was the problem. ECU is sealed tight. They performed well all weekend.

If they fail soon I will know the cause. OEM parts are $77 each.

I'm also not so concerned about getting stranded now that I know I can jump it with a screwdriver if needed to get back home.

• Agree
Reactions: Gym

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really want to hear how you guys are getting the starters out in 5 minutes.

When I began the research on my issues, I spent more time than that just trying to figure out what nuts held it in place and how I might go about getting to them. It looks like a big pain to me to get under there and release the starter, so I want to be ready if I have to replace them sometime soon.
I took the new starter and wrenches -- followed the starter wire from battery. Found the starter and used the new starter as a model of where bolts are and did it all by feel. Mirror could have been helpful, but it is only 2 bolts plus wire bolt. as long as you can find it, it is relatively easy.

ta421

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have any of you ever heard of a relay getting stuck closed which causes the starter to stay powered and continually running???
?