• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR240 in an 8’ tall garage door?

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am remodeling my garage (on a budget) to be able to accommodate our 2018 AR240. We currently have an 8’ tall garage door that I would love to reuse. Yamaha specs the AR240 at 8’-6” tall on the trailer. Has anyone figured out a way to get their 2015 or newer AR240 in an 8’ tall door? I’m not opposed to buying a Parkit or something similar. Or is there a way to lower the tower closer to the height of the glass? I would love to flip the axles (for multiple reasons) but it doesn’t look like there would be enough suspension travel. Not upgrading to a 10’ door is going to save me $5000 or more. Thanks in advance.

why_fly_high

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The listed height on trailer for the SX240 is 7’ 10”. That indicates to me you have to get the whole tower below the windshield to have a hope of getting it in an 8’ door.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can extend the cables that stop the tower to get it below the windshield, but I think the tower base would still stick up >8'. You may be left with some combination of having to do that, and deflate tires to get in/out.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you're remodeling the garage can you not also increase the header height of your garage? Then do a 9' or better yet 10' if you have the room.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Someone else just posted yesterday on FB about possibly sliding the trailer bunks out to another hole in the mount essentially lowering the boat a bit on the trailer. I’m not sure about that. @JetBoatPilot replied that there could be issues with a shallow launch. I’ll see if I can get the pic and post it here.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Actually, a ton more posts on that thread now. But here’s the pic that was asked about.

A6CE463B-6482-4EB6-81CD-35077D02C279.png

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Actually, a ton more posts on that thread now. But here’s the pic that was asked about.

View attachment 88862
If they move it out then the hull chine will be resting (and absorbing impact) on the bunks as the trailer goes down the road. I wouldn't want it like that for long term ownership. Good way to get some stress cracks.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use a john deer tractor to lower the tongue to the ground and I clear my ar240 below an 8ft header. I have seen a few other ways where you take the wheels off and put them on dolly's to gain 6 inches give or take. If I ever got a 242 I would try and do that.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Taking the wheels off would get old after the first time or two. As much as I love boating there is no way I'd have the drive to do it weekend and out if it meant also having to mount 4 tires TWICE each outing. You'd end up paying for that thing to sit because you would cringe at the thought of sweating your ass of while you take the wheels on and off every time. I get tired of just hand pushing my little 19' in and out. Could not imagine a process where it took a ton of effort just to get the boat out or in the garage and it would surely affect how often I boated each season.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Taking the wheels off would get old after the first time or two. As much as I love boating there is no way I'd have the drive to do it weekend and out if it meant also having to mount 4 tires TWICE each outing.
Seriously - I don't even know if I'd be willing to do that at the end of the season, let alone after each outing.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really hope for whatever model Yamaha has planned for the next version of the AR240, that it fit FROM THE FACTORY, through an 8' door. I don't see why the bimini part can't fold/pivot backwards (or just be EASILY removable) and the tower itself folds down flush to the hull just in front of the windshield.

In a dream world, imagine when completely folded flat that the bimini rested flush with the top of the windshield like a lid on a can. Heck, imagine the bimini is large enough and it's profile is similar to the entire main cockpit area to lower flush down and cover the entire cockpit area like a lid on a can. Excluding a cover for the bow or a more sturdy bow door, I wouldn't need to put my trailering cover on to get home! Today we always put the cover on so as to not worry about cleaning up at the boatt ramp and/or having cushions blow out. And the towing would be more fuel efficient with everything lowered!

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Seriously - I don't even know if I'd be willing to do that at the end of the season, let alone after each outing.
I take my aftermarket tower and bimini off these days. Takes 4 people and a lot of patience! I agree it sux but it's better than nothing at a minimum for the offseason.