• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Are people Crazy!!!! these interest rates on a toy!

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For what it's worth, if your are trying to time the market for a good deal on a boat, then you might want to make sure you really want one. The difference in payment between 1.99% and 2.99% is diminimus comparative to the investment you are making in a toy. Personally I like new and am willing to pay for it. I researched, found the model I liked and then made a deal. Was it a good deal, yes, was it a great kick ass better than anyone could ever hope to achieve deal, definitely not. I wanted the boat and had my walk away position. My point is that this purchase is a hole that will never make a return, but it's ok if you are doing it for the right reasons. Also, unlike most folks here I financed every red cent I could over the longest period I could. Why? Because it's cheap money and the $55k I left in the bank is worth over $72k today. I manage to cash flow not debt levels, and while I recognize the risks associated with it, if I could get a bank to loan me more I would. I have great credit and have always paid my debts, but the concept of leverage pays great dividends if you can stomach the risks. I'm not trying to put down the folks that paid cash, quite the opposite, I just wanted to illustrate the benefits of the other side of the equation.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I could have paid cash for the used jet ski I just bought, but instead I used a credit card balance transfer check. I get these things all the time in the mail and I file them in my cabinet until they expire. The one I used for the jet ski is 0% interest for 15 months. The icing on the cake was the fee to use the check. Typically the fees range from 3-5%. This check happened to be 2%.

After I use the check I create another file and on the inside of the file I write the date of the check, the date the interest runs out, and the monthly payment amount to pay the total off within the terms.

I'm almost OCD with money management. But I love using other people's money while mine works for me! At any given time I will have 2-3 of these balance transfer check deals running with various ending dates. The diligence in my routine is why I don't worry about the balances out there. I've never missed a deadline therefore I've never paid interest or a late penalty.

Chris Roberson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or the alternative is to finance and pay for boat on Home Equity line of credit - Just paid for my 2010 AR240 with a 4.5% home equity line... so my interest will be tax deductible... $36K loan...