• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Armychief Opinion - Best Current VHF/GMRS Handheld Radio

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As I continue to drain my bank account, preparing for this years Bimini Trip and future outings (Camping, Boating (In US & Bimini). I started to investigate a Handheld VHF to initially be used for the Bimini trip.

Since I always try to "Plan for the worse, and hope for the best"..I did not want a low wattage radio (1 or 3 watt max out). The newer 6 watt radio's are getting a bad rap from some of the people on forums. That it is a marketing hype, not needed..etc..etc. Well, yea..I guess..1 watt ain't much. But, on a clear day, line-of-site transmission might go about an extra 1-2 miles. So, I wasn't REALLY worried about 5 or 6 watts..but it had to be at least 5 watts (adjustable from 1-5)]

It needed to float...for obvious reasons

Now, I'm pretty knowledgeable on RF communications, so I looked and looked. Then, I came across technology like S.A.M.E. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_Area_Message_Encoding

So, now, I wanted a radio that supported - S.A.M.E.

I also thought to myself, why buy a radio that could only LEGALLY be used on the water or other countries?
What about flea markets, local U.S. islands, lakes, camping..etc.

So, what I came up with as the most ROUNDED, Feature packed handheld radio is:

The Cobra MR HH450:

https://www.cobra.com/products/handheld-max-performance/mr-hh450-dual

YouTube unpacking:

Overton's has the best price (after you factor in FREE shipping & the rebate (Overton/Gander Mountain ONLY rebate):

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Cobra-MR-HH450-Dual-Combination-VHF-GMRS-Radio-black&i=768400

Hope this helps others.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a Uniden MHS135DSC off of Amazon 2 years ago. It has the 6 watt output on it, DSC, built in GPS and floats, etc... Found areal good price on it and saw good reviews. All I can say it performed very well in Bimini last year. I was able to reach others with "base" radios in their boat 7 miles away on high power. IMO, not too bad for a handheld. My point is that under ideal conditions, it appears that these higher power radios can push out.

That being said, the new radio with the GMRS built in are pretty cool. I like the one you found there. :thumbsup:

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, the one noted above has the S.A.M.E feature AND 6 watt output. Antenna is removable. So, you can get an adapter and connect to an external whip antenna

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, what I came up with as the most ROUNDED, Feature packed handheld radio is: The Cobra MR HH450:
Thanks for the advice! Just bought it on Amazon Prime. We've been looking for a good handheld for awhile now. Nice to have someone with some knowledge and experience make a recommendation.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As I continue to drain my bank account, preparing for this years Bimini Trip and future outings (Camping, Boating (In US & Bimini). I started to investigate a Handheld VHF to initially be used for the Bimini trip.

Since I always try to "Plan for the worse, and hope for the best"..I did not want a low wattage radio (1 or 3 watt max out). The newer 6 watt radio's are getting a bad rap from some of the people on forums. That it is a marketing hype, not needed..etc..etc. Well, yea..I guess..1 watt ain't much. But, on a clear day, line-of-site transmission might go about an extra 1-2 miles. So, I wasn't REALLY worried about 5 or 6 watts..but it had to be at least 5 watts (adjustable from 1-5)]

It needed to float...for obvious reasons

Now, I'm pretty knowledgeable on RF communications, so I looked and looked. Then, I came across technology like S.A.M.E. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_Area_Message_Encoding

So, now, I wanted a radio that supported - S.A.M.E.

I also thought to myself, why buy a radio that could only LEGALLY be used on the water or other countries?
What about flea markets, local U.S. islands, lakes, camping..etc.

So, what I came up with as the most ROUNDED, Feature packed handheld radio is:

The Cobra MR HH450:

https://www.cobra.com/products/handheld-max-performance/mr-hh450-dual

YouTube unpacking:

Overton's has the best price (after you factor in FREE shipping & the rebate (Overton/Gander Mountain ONLY rebate):

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Cobra-MR-HH450-Dual-Combination-VHF-GMRS-Radio-black&i=768400

Hope this helps others.
I've had 2 of these for several years and love them. Actually the older version - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OYJ62U/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=38301963807&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6580555742819571253&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9q5lvqmzcs_e

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ArmyChief, does Cobra build good radios? For some reason I thought the brand had a bad reputation?

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ArmyChief, does Cobra build good radios? For some reason I thought the brand had a bad reputation?
Cobra has excellent radio's. I had a Cobra CB as a kid. They've been around for years. West Marine uses Uniden BTW.

My favorite would be ICOM, then Standard Horizon, then Cobra. However, ICOM & Standard don't have all the features as the Cobra.

If you like to use your phone on board and are worried about it falling overboard..they even offer a Bluetooth capable handheld!

HH500

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length