• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Artic Blast Approaching

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
With very cold weather approaching I am trying to get my boat preapared. It is on a lift on a fresh water lake in North Texas and has not been winterized. I plan on draining all the water from the fresh water shower system and pulling the clean out plugs to drain any water in there.

Other than running the motor for a short time while out of the water to clear any fresh water in the system is there anything else that needs to be done?

What is the recommended time to run the motor to clear it out? 30 Seconds? Is a minute too long?

Anything else that I am forgetting.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I run mine for 15-30 seconds max. I also put antifreeze in the ballast system

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I run mine for 10-15 seconds on a warm day, with a couple of short revs to 7-8k rpms. Then shut it down, water will be seen draining from the exhaust at the stern. I would get some antifreeze to winterize the piping/fittings and keep them from splitting.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just start it and rev it a few times, Engine will be fine.
No shower so don’t know the rest. Is there is a place or a hose hooks up you can throw some RV antifreeze in and flush it through the system but that’s just pluming knowledge not first-hand experience with that boat.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ditto everyone else's advise. I just winterized my fresh water shower system earlier this week. First be sure that ALL the fresh water is sprayed out (or until the nozzle slows to a trickle). Get a gallon of pink RV antifreeze. Here is where I had a slight issue. Seems that at least on my boat the fill port is lower than the on board tank itself ?? So it will not just pour in with a funnel or straight from the jug. Had to cut about 3-4' garden hose and attach to fill port. Hold it straight vertical then put my funnel on cut end of hose. Slowly pour anti freeze into funnel as that provides enough weight for fluid to flow up hill. Then pump again until you see pink coming from shower head. That way you are assured that the pump is also protected from freezing.

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotta love the media sensationalism , arctic blast , is it going to be -20 F?

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I also keep my boat covered , on lift , in covered fresh water wet slip all winter. I bring my batteries home in warm storage for the winter. If that's not possible for you at least fully charge then disconnect them . A couple bags of Damp-Rid in the passenger compartment would also be helpful.

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all the infomation. I would guess since the boat area is covered and over a lake it might not even freeze this early in the season - just being careful.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Anyone know how to get the antifreeze into the shower system? The fill port connects to a hose and you can't as far as I've tried just pour the antifreeze in that way.

Thanks

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tried my best to outline the process (in detail) on post #5 of this thread ?? Actually very simple.

Anyone know how to get the antifreeze into the shower system? The fill port connects to a hose and you can't as far as I've tried just pour the antifreeze in that way.

Thanks

Last edited:

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
I tried my best to outline the process (in detail) on post #5 of this thread ?? Actually very simple.
OK cool thanks (I thought I had read the entire thread)...really that little bit of head will be enough to make it flow? I'll give it a try...thanks again.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It did for me. I was beginning to think I had a real problem !! Just be sure to securely attach threaded end of hose to fill port to avoid spillage.

OK cool thanks (I thought I had read the entire thread)...really that little bit of head will be enough to make it flow? I'll give it a try...thanks again.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Gotta love the media sensationalism , arctic blast , is it going to be -20 F?
Not -20, but temp dipped to -5 where our boat is stored and windchill hit -17 at the local airport. Winter is here in the bold north.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On Tuesday it was colder in Alabama than in Alaska. Woke up to 14 degrees which is a big hell nah to me :D. Don't see how y'all do it living up north where it snows in feet and is cold as balls. The hell with that!! :D

The cold is no joke. My wife's second cousin was found dead this week from being outside overnight when the front moved in. He had dementia and apparently got lost downtown and couldn't get back into his truck. Ended up several blocks away from his truck and last known location only to be found dead from exposure the next morning. Truly sad. He was a real nice guy but he stopped coming to the family functions several years ago after his sister passed away. Missing Irondale man found dead on Birmingham’s Southside

Last edited: