• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Asbestos Abatement Experience?

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Recently purchased an office/warehouse for our business which was originally built in 63. I’m 45 days into ownership and found out we likely have asbestos issues to deal with. Test samples were sent to the lab today. Inspector thinks we have about 5000sf of tile/mastic to be removed. Possibly have cinder block walls that are painted with asbestos laced paint. Anyone have experience with abatement process and associated costs?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Carpet over it. My experience is that i removed a bunch of asbestos tiles in my bedroom and i tore them out without a mask. Then later found out they were probably asbestos! It's stupid expensive. They said my drywall in a condo was asbestos and it was around 10k for minimal work. It's a small studio that had a flood so it was under insurance.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Friable and non friable asbestos is handled differently. You have non friable at the moment. Once a tile is broken it's friable. Basically any exposed strands is friable. It is impossible to have non friable at the moment. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be for cost. In oklahoma asbestos is considered construction debris. When I have hauled it we always considered it non haz special waste because at some point it would be broken. The tile is the easier part the paint is more difficult. When you purchased it did the disclosure state asbestos. I would look in that direction first. Your commercial agent should be involved.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Friable and non friable asbestos is handled differently. You have non friable at the moment. Once a tile is broken it's friable. Basically any exposed strands is friable. It is impossible to have non friable at the moment. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be for cost. In oklahoma asbestos is considered construction debris. When I have hauled it we always considered it non haz special waste because at some point it would be broken. The tile is the easier part the paint is more difficult. When you purchased it did the disclosure state asbestos. I would look in that direction first. Your commercial agent should be involved.
No asbestos listed in sellers disclosure. I’m confident they knew since they had covered it with carpet, but can’t prove it. Of all the inspections we did, I failed to order asbestos testing.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No asbestos listed in sellers disclosure. I’m confident they knew since they had covered it with carpet, but can’t prove it. Of all the inspections we did, I failed to order asbestos testing.
I would talk my agents broker and go from there. I would think you could go back on the seller. They would have to filled out the disclosure. The abatement is not to much. Your in Texas and I believe it is considered construction debris there as well. I would get estimates for the abatement and sit down with the managing broker.

At the end of the day you paid professionals for their service and at that age of a building they should guided you

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Not sure on the laws, but asbestos is no joke. I have done a few mock trials for situations similar to yours. First thing I would do is get a lawyer, and then I would refrain from talking about this online.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure on the laws, but asbestos is no joke. I have done a few mock trials for situations similar to yours. First thing I would do is get a lawyer, and then I would refrain from talking about this online.
I agree it is no joke. Fortunately or unfortunately , I have had dealings with it for 20 years. I ran 2 states for a large hauling company for many years. It is definitely a lot more manageable now as opposed to 20 years ago.

I would not be talking to a lawyer first. The brokerage has ways to handle this first. If there is no satisfaction, which I think you will find some. Get an attorney. My issue with the attorney is financial. They will of course write a strongly worded letter, but potential fraud on a disclosure is a very serious matter.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Be extremely careful how you take care of this especially if you will have any family members,employees,or consumers in the space. Take the time to learn the proper abatement and hire someone licensed to do it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I agree it is no joke. Fortunately or unfortunately , I have had dealings with it for 20 years. I ran 2 states for a large hauling company for many years. It is definitely a lot more manageable now as opposed to 20 years ago.

I would not be talking to a lawyer first. The brokerage has ways to handle this first. If there is no satisfaction, which I think you will find some. Get an attorney. My issue with the attorney is financial. They will of course write a strongly worded letter, but potential fraud on a disclosure is a very serious matter.
I would trust your experience, but I still would walk a thin line. The asbestos issues I have seen turned into larger legal battles, where every single shred of evidence for and against comes out.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
How can you prove someone knows about asbestos if they didn't know? When i sold my house, it had vermiculite in the attic, back when vermiculite was mined some had asbestos, some didn't. No where was it asked if about insulation in my attic.

Why wasn't there an inspection before purchase? how come now?

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am an Industrial Hygienist with over 20+ years of working with asbestos. We are a consulting firm located in CT. Depending on what State you live in there might be different requirements for abatement. In my experience that average abatement cost is typically around $3-$10 square foot.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How can you prove someone knows about asbestos if they didn't know? When i sold my house, it had vermiculite in the attic, back when vermiculite was mined some had asbestos, some didn't. No where was it asked if about insulation in my attic.

Why wasn't there an inspection before purchase? how come now?
Hard to prove what someone knew and when they knew it. Buying commercial property is a very different process than buying residential. Residential seems to have a much more foil proof method to inspect and protect both parties. In commercial it is buyer beware, and seller has no responsibility if it isn’t caught during the inspection process. There is not a seller’s disclosure like in residential where seller is asked 100 questions about status/condition of all systems. I consulted as many parties as I could during the inspection process. Hired foundation studies, plumbing camera scopes, HVAC survey, had extensive roof inspection process, and paid for 100+ page EPA study. I spent roughly $8k for due diligence inspections even before we knew the transaction would make. Asbestos never came up from any of my consultants and I didn’t know better.

My intent for posting was not to lay blame on the seller, but instead to ask for any knowledge others have about the abatement process. I expect to bear the cost of abatement, just simply trying to learn as much as I can before the process starts.

One option legally presented to me is to cover it and leave it un-disturbed. Even though that is a cheaper option it’s not how I’m wired. When I discover a problem I want it cleaned up and dealt with the best way available. Never want my employees, family or tenants to affected by this problem.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hard to prove what someone knew and when they knew it. Buying commercial property is a very different process than buying residential. Residential seems to have a much more foil proof method to inspect and protect both parties. In commercial it is buyer beware, and seller has no responsibility if it isn’t caught during the inspection process. There is not a seller’s disclosure like in residential where seller is asked 100 questions about status/condition of all systems. I consulted as many parties as I could during the inspection process. Hired foundation studies, plumbing camera scopes, HVAC survey, had extensive roof inspection process, and paid for 100+ page EPA study. I spent roughly $8k for due diligence inspections even before we knew the transaction would make. Asbestos never came up from any of my consultants and I didn’t know better.

My intent for posting was not to lay blame on the seller, but instead to ask for any knowledge others have about the abatement process. I expect to bear the cost of abatement, just simply trying to learn as much as I can before the process starts.

One option legally presented to me is to cover it and leave it I disturbed. Even though that is a cheaper option it’s not how I’m wired. When I discover a problem I want it cleaned up and dealt with the best way available. Never want my employees, family or tenants to affected by this problem.
That is a great attitude.

Chief

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I am a certified asbestos abatement supervisor because i work for a public school district and public schools are filled with asbestos....its in everything.

Asbestos is not illegal or unhealthy to have in your facility, but you do have to keep it well maintained...
Just keep the floor tile very well waxed or you can cover it with carpet.
Just paint the walls, but watch out for flaking in the future.
Abatement can be VERY $$$, but owners can remove it themselves but not your employees.
When working with ACM (asbestos containing materials) just dont turn it into dust, always use wet methods for removal. ie dont just scrap the loose paint off the walls, spray it with water first then scrap and keep spraying.
Use plastic to catch the wetted paint so it doesn't end up drying on the floor..
At a minimum use a p99 (hepa) half face mask....never use a dust mask like what doctors use in the ER.
Every state has different laws.

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
It is possible the previous owner simply didn’t know

I sold a property this past February which was a family business, a funeral home. The house my dad purchased in 1971 and when the new owner was doing inspections they mentioned asbestos in the basement and they needed to do testing. I have looked at that tile my entire life and never had a clue it was asbestos..... the new buyer hired a company that took samples from all over the place drywaall, ceiling etc.... they still purchased it

As stated very difficult to prove they new what it is. I would just cover it up with new carpet and paint, it’s not a hazard when covered up and as mentioned it can be very expensive to remove.