• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Assawoman Bay - "New" Island

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
One of the Maryland coastal bays know as the Assawoman Bay (yeah I know it's an Indian name but people still steal the signs) has a "new" island. Factual information is in short supply but we believe it was built by the CoE with dredged beach material. It is NICE. Clean sand and moderately shallow water very far out no rocks or current. It has become a new favorite spot. Here's the rub the rumor is it is being reserved for bird habitats ... facts about this are also in short supply. At any rate it's a great family place for beaching, grilling, small kids and dogs ... let's hope it lasts. Who knows maybe the birds will never show.

More information and photos are available on Facebook at "keepers of the flag" (someone placed a large American flag on the island). I have no affiliation with the group but it wasn't a bad read. They want you to "like" their page not a Facebook expert so I'm not sure what that gets you but I liked it anyway. The island has apparently been named "dog and bitch island" ... Not especially catchy.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
"Found" that a couple of weeks ago - absolutely great place to park!

Two things were memorable from our trip - the reaction from folks on the boat when they realized how easy it was to get on and off in knee deep water and the 8 folks that were on on the island with a FULL SIZED smoker, 2 20lb propane tanks, chairs, collection of coolers, etc. etc. all in an 18' Boston Whaler that was about 4" from the gunwales when they loaded it all up. (Booze certainly made that SEEM like a good decision!)

Title had me fooled, I was expecting to see a small party island with women in bikinis or monokinis showing us what their mothers gave them. My bad, I'm a dirty birdy, sometimes.

Yep it's not THAT kind of island but it has plenty of knee deep water very far out. You can really enjoy the water around your own boat instead of being lined up like sardines in a can like we do down at assateague. There is no need to beach you can anchor and walk right up and groups of boats can hang out together off the shore line but still be in less than 3ft of water. It's been a great place so far I hope others that come to the Maryland coastal bays can stop by and enjoy it.

I believe it is the Isle of Wight bay on the south side of Rt. 90.

At any rate, I visited it 2 weeks ago. Really tricky to get in and out of there. We hopped out of the boat about 500 yards away and pulled the boat in. If your looking north I found it helpful to go west (left) to get in deeper water.

Believe it or not, those islands have always been there and even have a name. "Dog and Bitch Islands" but they eroded and were ressurrected as @treeskier stated.

https://goo.gl/maps/ohpWB

https://goo.gl/maps/Kifzc

Flag05-good-768x1024.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it is the Isle of Wight bay on the south side of Rt. 90.

At any rate, I visited it 2 weeks ago. Really tricky to get in and out of there. We hopped out of the boat about 500 yards away and pulled the boat in. If your looking north I found it helpful to go west (left) to get in deeper water.

Believe it or not, those islands have always been there and even have a name. "Dog and Bitch Islands" but they eroded and were ressurrected as @treeskier stated.

https://goo.gl/maps/ohpWB

https://goo.gl/maps/Kifzc

Flag05-good-768x1024.jpg
You are correct...it is Isle of Wright...but locals tend to refer to the whole thing as the Assawoman which is technically north of the Rt90 bridge. Honestly I thought more people would read it with Assawoman in the title.

Also correct you do not want to enter from the east facing side of the island (the side that faces the ocean city skyline). I have not had a chance to check it out but I've been told the CoE put something (RipRapish stuff) to prevent erosion from the boat traffic going north-South. You can see some of it in the picture above where the kids are wading.

I didn't think it was hard to get in but we did go left...just by accident. We wanted to stay out of the north-south wake traffic.

I've been trying to drag something over to Ocean City since my SeaDoo days. I've always wanted to boat there, just have never had the chance.

With the SeaDoo I was always worried about parking and someone stealing it. With the boat I doubt anyone could easily steal it but parking? Seems like a nightmare.

I've been trying to drag something over to Ocean City since my SeaDoo days. I've always wanted to boat there, just have never had the chance.

With the SeaDoo I was always worried about parking and someone stealing it. With the boat I doubt anyone could easily steal it but parking? Seems like a nightmare.

Are you talking about trailer or boat parking?

There are 3 boat ramps but this has the largest parking area that is closest to everything. (west OC)

https://goo.gl/maps/YudpE

Here is Assateague boat ramp which also has a lot of parking:
https://goo.gl/maps/Qz8Fo

Are you talking about trailer or boat parking?

There are 3 boat ramps but this has the largest parking area that is closest to everything. (west OC)

https://goo.gl/maps/YudpE

Here is Assateague boat ramp which also has a lot of parking:
https://goo.gl/maps/Qz8Fo

Technically both because we stay for a few days. Not so much when we launch but when we are at the hotel/condo.

Here's a free and brand new ramp. Plenty of parking during the week. When you exit the canal, turn right and head under the Route 90 bridge. Once under the bridge, look about 20 degrees left and you will see this island. I would avoid the Assateague ramp. First and last time I used it I was stopping every 50 yards because of the incredible amount of weeds I sucked up which the reverse clean out move will not clear. There is a good reason you very, very rarely see any motorized boats down in the west side of Assateague Island south of this ramp. I mean we are talking heavy sea weed and maybe one foot deep in parts. No thanks. You have been warned. Even the ride north to OC will be thick with weeds.

To get to the White Horse Park ramp, take the Route 90 bridge out of OC. Head to 589 exit, turn right. Drive about a mile and a half to a right on Beauchamp Road. Take this road about 2 miles until it ends at White Horse Park. Gravel Road on right takes you to the ramp.

http://oceanpines.org/project/white-horse-park-boat-ramps/

There's a ramp at the OP yacht club too. Not sure if there is parking there. I always use the white horse ramp.

Not sure about leaving your trailer there over night. I always bring mine back to my driveway.

Technically both because we stay for a few days. Not so much when we launch but when we are at the hotel/condo.
I'd check out vrbo.com or airb2b.com and look to rent a house that way you have a driveway for the boat. Ocean Pines is a good choice if you don't care about being on the beach. Or if you are lucky you could find a place with a slip my gf is an agent but she only does sales not rentals but if you message me I can get you in touch with a rental agent if you are not inclined to look on your own.

Contact me if anyone needs a driveway in Ocean Pines, to store their trailer (and maybe boat - I will have to back mine up closer to the house in order to squeeze another boat in there!) this fall. Certainly, the trailer will fit because you can park it across the front yard - I don't care. You can use mine so long as I'm not there which means the driveway will be filled with cars. But if I'm not around, you can back in next to my boat no problem. Safe and sound, and go back to your condo/hotel on the beach. Shoot me a PM and I will set you up with the address.

As far as leaving your trailer at White Horse Park overnight, I have never, ever in the 30 years I've had a house there seen this ramp (or any ramp) in Ocean Pines "policed." I have suggested they get an electronic gate to keep this thing private for the residents, but of course noone in this poorly run HOA listens to peons. All they worry about is raising our assessments to support the golf course for the very few members belonging thereto, or building a disgustingly ugly Yacht Club that loses money every year......but I digress

Back