• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Audio System for the Frugal JetBoater

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After hemming, hawling, solutioning, researching, and quizzing my fellow jetboaters I opened the wallet in January and February and actually bought something. I’ll be close to a grand, more than my preferred $500-600, but the sub kit was a good deal to me (so don’t tell me if I’m wrong.) And I’m not counting little bits I need, and had from prior purchases, like tools and connectors. Wiring wise it will be final design dependent, but all wiring is factored in.

So, what I got is a Fusion MA-R210, in a kit with two 6.5” XS speakers, I bought 2 more of the speakers, and a JL Audio sub kit with a 10” M3 sub, an MX300 monoblock sub, and (in theory) all the wiring, fuses, and connectors, including the remote amp gain knob. I got the Fusion kit as a open box from Crutchfield, additional speakers as an open box from an Amazon vendor, and the sub kit from Creative Audio.

This post will be my reflection on the journey, serve as my notes for in 3 years time when I say “WTF did I do that?”, and hopefully help a fellow jetboater along the way.

IMG_0903D.jpeg

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Every journey starts with one step or pulling out that wallet! Good Luck and stay with the thread.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m not an audiophile, I’ve never touched/tuned an equalizer on any stereo I’ve ever had. Having a subwoofer is advanced as I’ve ever gotten. Therefore I wasn’t going to spend $2k on an audio system. I really needed a hard limit ~$1k and wanted start as close to $500-600 as possible. I had though about buying a $99 Boss receiver & 4 speaker package from Crutchfield, but knew it wouldn’t be worth my install time and I would surely be disowned by this forum.

I knew I wanted a HU with sufficient amp to drive 4 speakers without an external amp, but still able to move up to an external amp w/o hassle. I learned to get a class D amp for efficiency, and I wanted something XM capable as I have weak cell service and few radio stations. Remote control was a big criteria also, I mostly only looked at devices with wired remotes. One unfortunate problem here was that I saw a lot of HUs that could use remotes, but the remotes were discontinued or difficult to find. Since the boat has a DIN HU already there was no need or advantage in getting a headless, gauge, or compact unit.
IMG_0897D.jpeg
I had wanted a Fusion, but found them to be expensive, the 70 model without XM is a good price, but I thought the premium for XM was too high (it comes with N2k too, but I don’t need it). I found a great Sony HU that I believe was 40W RMS right before COVID but then the price went up 50% followed by being out of stock for over a year. This all brought me back to looking at Fusions and I think the 210 was new. It is similar to a 670/770, nice color screen, 25W RMS, checked all the other boxes, and I could use the factory power line. (The 670/770 are definitely better units and what you should get if going external amp on day one and want 3+ zones.)

Attachments

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length