• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Awaiting my YDS software, Some advice please

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The other day we took the boat out between rain showers; we were desperate to get it out since it had been two weeks of, I swear, rain every day. When I fired up off the trailer the starboard engine threw an engine flashing code of 13. Thank god for the forum because I quickly looked it up and was the ignition coil code. I checked all the connections to the coils and that the coils were secured. Now the boat ran fine, didn‘t feel like it was misfiring at all and synced with the port engine just fine when I did a small lap near the ramp/dock. Checked the pissers on the side when I was cruising along and they seemed to push out at the same rate. I’ve dealt with misfires due to bad ignition coils in vehicles and they obviously run like absolute sh*t, so felt pretty safe to do a lap around the lake since the boat seemed to be running fine.

I just changed the plugs and gapped them at .30 for all 8. Boat ran fine before I changed them for our water test with the marina and didn’t have the engine code. Watched a video on the YDS software and how to run it but it was obviously on a boat that didn’t have any issues. So my dumb question is, will the YDS tell me which ignition coil had the fault? And if it doesn’t should I just delete the code and then run it to see if it throws the code again? I saw you could test cylinders with a spark gap tester hooked on but didn’t know if anyone had experience with this before I actually go about testing the cylinders. I feel I caused the issue by changing the plugs 😂 but I was happy all the plugs came out without any issues. As you can see the wife wasn’t too concerned that day.

A45BFDBA-62CF-4452-8DBD-77F88056CD2A.jpeg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Make sure you put a bit of dielectric grease on the top of each plug and at the connection to the coil. Hopefully you just didn't have a good connection.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I never had a coil issue so I don't have experience if the YDS will locate the problem. Please let us know if it comes back and what you find.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It will give you the fault and the engine hours when it occurred. No coil issues here either so I can’t tell you if it shows which coil; but there are some diagnostics to test fire if needed. It sound like you are running fine now? New plugs seem to solve a lot.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It will give you the fault and the engine hours when it occurred. No coil issues here either so I can’t tell you if it shows which coil; but there are some diagnostics to test fire if needed. It sound like you are running fine now? New plugs seem to solve a lot.
The problem started after I installed the new plugs, not before. I’m guessing maybe I tweaked a coil pack ever so slightly when I was putting them back on, so we will see I suppose. I’ve noticed not too many have had coil pack issues so figured I could be the first 🤷🏼‍♂️ Haha. Maybe if I put a little grease on as buckbuck stated it’ll make the light go away, my OCD will kill me if it doesn’t 😂😂

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Service manual has procedure for testing ignition coils.

1621776875331.png

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally hooked it up. Looks like it wasn’t a coil at all, what is weird is all these codes are coming up right now, literally. It doesn’t have a diagnosis code at an earlier hour. So for example, my engine has 655.3 hours on it, all these codes are coming up at 655.34 so my guess is nothing is actually wrong with them. My tach doesn’t have a check engine light flashing at all either, don’t know if it would be or not. It did take me a few tries to get this software going so I wonder if it threw the codes because I had to bump the ignition a few times. Under diagnosis everything is good and normal though. Glad to see no overheats at all in the starboard. On to the port to see how it is.

23B46C3E-16D4-48B3-A27F-98314A966E7E.jpeg14BFC544-BCE4-4EC0-8D8D-30F74A1BCF65.jpeg

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Port was similar in the diagnosis record: low oil pressure warning, overheat warning, TPS, and battery voltage. But under diagnosis everything is normal. The boat ran fine when we were out and the engine code came on, so I would guess it’s fine. I did put some dielectric grease on all spark plugs as well

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Port was similar in the diagnosis record: low oil pressure warning, overheat warning, TPS, and battery voltage. But under diagnosis everything is normal. The boat ran fine when we were out and the engine code came on, so I would guess it’s fine. I did put some dielectric grease on all spark plugs as well
Sorry to resurrect something this old, but curious to know where/what YDS you bought. I’ve seen two and need to pick one up. One is: https://obd247.com/products/diagnostic-usb-cable-scan-tool-adapter-kit-for-yamaha-yds-boat-marine-outboard-waverunner-jet-boat

the other one is: Yamaha YDS pro2 - BRP Diagnostics

did you purchase one of these? What has your experience been?

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to resurrect something this old, but curious to know where/what YDS you bought. I’ve seen two and need to pick one up. One is: https://obd247.com/products/diagnostic-usb-cable-scan-tool-adapter-kit-for-yamaha-yds-boat-marine-outboard-waverunner-jet-boat

The first one is what I use for my 2005 AR230. I bought mine from ebay and it came with a CD for software but the kit you linked looks better since the software comes on a USB and many laptops no longer have a CD drive. I think you can find the software free anyways, its mainly the hardware you're paying for.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I bought the first one version 1.33! Got it off eBay as well and came with the usb stuff to hook up to the boat. Thank god I saved my laptop from college that has windows 8 and a CD drive so I could install and use it. I’ve had no issues with the program.