• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

back up camera system needed

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am tired of connecting the boat to my Expedition just using the mirrors. My license plate has to be hammered back into shape numerous times. It is time to change my ways.

I need a recommendation for a complete back up camera system for my older Ford Expedition. I do not have any monitors onboard so I am looking at everything. Amazon has lots of stuff but I descended into information overload. I would like to keep the budget under $150.

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket system?

I have used a couple of the wireless systems. They worked great for hooking up the boat trailer by myself and for general backing up. However, the ones I used didn't last much longer than the warranty period and they are effected by home wireless systems - interference. It is humorous however to stop at a traffic light somewhere and have the nearest stores wireless security video show up. I am putting on a wired one now. I bought a couple of cheap cameras and monitors on chinese ebay and will use the existing truck OEM video wiring. It will be a $25 system. Cam.

I have used a couple of the wireless systems. They worked great for hooking up the boat trailer by myself and for general backing up. However, the ones I used didn't last much longer than the warranty period and they are effected by home wireless systems - interference. It is humorous however to stop at a traffic light somewhere and have the nearest stores wireless security video show up. I am putting on a wired one now. I bought a couple of cheap cameras and monitors on chinese ebay and will use the existing truck OEM video wiring. It will be a $25 system. Cam.

You buy from taobao? Have you had good luck?

Re: backup camera...make sure, whatever system you go with, that you mount the camera along the centerline of the hitch. My Durango had a backup camera offset to the passenger side by about 3"... Screwed up both alignment and distance perception. Parallax is a bitch.

On my work truck I ordered a screen and camera and ebay and built my own system. I think it was $40.00 for the parts. Put it on a 12 volt switch and used a fish tape to run the wires under the carpet from front to back.

Their are some wireless units you can buy also, I have seen them at menards for $60-$100 (memory guessing)

I have been thinking about this for my '13 tahoe. Has anyone here used one of these systems for that application ?

I've been using the iBall Camera. The screen plugs into the 12v receptacle and the camera is a portable 9v battery powered magnetic mount. It's around $150 and can be bought direct or through Amazon.
http://www.iballhitchcam.com/

I just use "the force". I guess over the years I just get a feel. 50/50 no adjustment 90/10 one adjustment.

@scokill fair enough I probably was 60/40 one try 90/10 two tries... Save some $$ for boat mods

Depends on the vehicle too. My Tundra has a huge blind spot right behind it and the mirrors make judging distance difficult. The camera is very nice to have. I often wish I would have got the stupidly expensive OEM one when I bought the truck. Cam.

Depends on the vehicle too. My Tundra has a huge blind spot right behind it and the mirrors make judging distance difficult. The camera is very nice to have. I often wish I would have got the stupidly expensive OEM one when I bought the truck. Cam.
When I hook up trailer to my tahoe I just kind off use the force with the rear view mirror. I Usually can center it up okay but the depth can be problematic sometimes.

Don't get a tailgate one if your sole purpose is to connect to a trailer. Get a license plate camera. They are 100 times easier than the camera that is elevated.

@4x15mph , call me skeptical. I can only see that thing working with a lightweight trailer... It has to move the tongue horizontally which ain't always the easiest thing to do.

I use one of these with two cameras, one on the tow vehicle and one on the back of the boat trucker. Both cameras are wired amd are designed not to over heat because of long term use so I often leave the monitor on to see what's behind the boat while I'm towing it or switch to the vehicle camera just to see the connection to the hitch. They sell 7 or 8 camera systems (think horse trailer) but if I were to buy another system it would be a three camera system (one more for the from bumper so I can more easily hook up tot the front hitch).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250378933556?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Tape and white pvc pipe. Tape on your tailgate aligned with your hitch and the white pipe on the trailer above the hitch. Gets you pretty close.

I put the non telescoping type on the front hitches of my tow vehicles, when it makes contact with the trailer and falls over you should be right under the trailer's tongue.

Thanks, guys, for the ideas. I think I will try to build my own. I'll try to report back with pictures of my creation.

@buckbuck , thanks for starting the thread. I bought the telescoping type today from Harbor Freight. $8.00 so I don't care if I end up using it as a dog toy. I'll report back but I have an SUV where the hatch opens and you have a pretty good line of sight.

Back