• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Backing into beach w thrust vectors

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So here's my question. We found lots of nice little beaches to hang out at and I can always beach and leave the rear of the boat in 12-18 inches of water, but how about when I'd like to back in to use the swim deck for loading and unloading. Can you back in with thrust vectors installed? It seems to me it would hit the sand and break off or bend or get damaged somehow. I understand they flip up, but when you're going backwards won't they just dig themselves into the sand?

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I wouldn't want my Thrust Vectors to contact anything while going backwards or sitting still. I think they could also break other things if contact is made from the rear as they only pivot up from the front. I anchor with the rear in about three feet of water just to be safe.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just want to make sure I'm not crazy, thanks.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always backed up to the beach with mine, I anchor in shallow water probably only a few inches below the TV's. I've never intentionally beached the boat backwards like that but I have had the anchor slide back and let the tide go down to where the back of the boat is beached. I've never had them bend or break or anything, but I don't just cram it in reverse and slam it into the beach.

Just so you know, this was always done around the Shell Island area of Florida, there are no rocks or anything to hit, just the sugary fine sand, I would never anchor that shallow somewhere I knew was rocky or didn't know what was under the water.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree with the above statement, I always make sure my boat is deep enough so the XL's don't touch anything.

On a related note, and at the risk of a thread hijack:: I was thinking there may be room for an aftermarket accessory here for @JetBoatPilot :

A pin or lock setup for the XL's to keep them in an upright position: for the case mentioned above...Or in my case: for Wake-surfing: I find when wake-surfing, when the person falls it is difficult to turn the boat around due to the lateral force on the XL's. When a rider falls, I kill power, and start on a u-turn and near zero speed. I prefer this approach over a wide powered U-turn that ends up creating a massive set of haystacks that rock the boat and swamp the rider.

The lateral force on the XLs is considerable, and should I over-steer and need to correct back , the difficulty is repeated. I would welcome the ability to pin the fins upright when a day of surfing is targeted....thoughts?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So after reading your response my wife pipes up and says "Sugary fine sand?!, Where's sugary fine sand? I want to go to sugary fine sand! YES, Bring me there!"
LOL

Good idea on a temporary TV delete pin.

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I had thoughts of a delete pin while on vacation last summer and never came up with a good solution. Now I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks....I think I need to revisit this. It's things like this that drives my wife nuts. I can already picture it.... she'll be looking for me, only to find me in the garage staring at the back of the boat!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cut two pieces of pool noodle about 12-14 inches long. When stern beached, open the throttles (gates) all the way open (forward). Lift up on the thrust vector and stuff the noodles into the pumps. They will stick out enough so that the support crossbar on the TV will rest on the noodle and hold them up. This helps with changing tides and what not. Obviously not when doing your actual approach. I usually keep my noodles into the hatch where the clean out plugs are.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had thoughts of a delete pin while on vacation last summer and never came up with a good solution. Now I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks....I think I need to revisit this. It's things like this that drives my wife nuts. I can already picture it.... she'll be looking for me, only to find me in the garage staring at the back of the boat!
LOL I laughed cause my wife says "What the hell are you doing? 5 minutes ago I come out here and you're staring at the back of the boat, now I come out and you're still staring at it"

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's ok, njmr2fan. That is normal behavior around here.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot
Seems like I remember hearing about a lock for the 19'ers to keep the fins up?

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to regularly back to the shore, but never touched. Just make sure your bow anchour line stops the boat hitting, I had no problems, in fact I was so good I sold my TV's in perfect order :winkingthumbsup".
image.jpg

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"Sugary fine sand?!, Where's sugary fine sand? I want to go to sugary fine sand! YES, Bring me there!"
You've got to get your girl to the coast! Just go south till you see the Gulf. They are our favorite beaches and we can't get enough of them. As soon as we left Pensacola I was ready to turn around and go back. If we lived closer we'd be going at least once a month and I'd have an aluminum trailer for the boat.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Britboater, Im well aware. I bought them! Ahh see that mate...my TVs have been in that sugary sand already, just not on my boat. What other waters have they seen? Darn if they could only talk...

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So after reading your response my wife pipes up and says "Sugary fine sand?!, Where's sugary fine sand? I want to go to sugary fine sand! YES, Bring me there!"
LOL

Good idea on a temporary TV delete pin.
The first time I walked out on the beach in the Panama City area I was amazed at how fine it is. I like that even on the sunniest, hottest day you can still walk on the sand barefooted...some of the shells get hot though!
I've only been gone a little over a month but I'm hating not being able to see water every time I leave the house!

Reminds me I need to update my location on here.