• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Backup Bilge Pump in a 242ls

Durkis007

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey All...

I am going to be installing a backup small bilge pump under the clean out hatch, preferably on a float.

What have you guys used? My fear is the main one will fail, as sometimes I keep the boat on the water for a week at a time.

Thanks!

If you place it under the clean out hatch, how will you test it on a regular basis for proper operation?

If you place it under the clean out hatch, how will you test it on a regular basis for proper operation?

That's a good question. What alternative do u suggest.

Perhaps a test would be to fill with a little water?

I do have a mystery leak that I need to finally figure out. An average day the pump comes on 3-4 times

Not sure I have a good answer other than in your engine compartment next to the present one. The reason I asked, I find myself cleaning my screen on my bilge pump in the engine compartment several times a year and check the pump for operation on every outing. I just thought for me, it would be One Big PIA, if my pump were under the inspection hatch. Not criticizing at all, but very curious.

Ok I have to ask. Were very new to boating and have had our 242 LS for a few months. Is it necessary to buy a 2nd bulge pump? Also, really dumb question I know but is the bulge pump on the 242 LS automatic? I always thought it was but recently was told it wasn't. Meant to contact the dealer but just haven't yet to find out for sure.

I would install it under the clean out tray AND install a Rule bilge alarm at the same time so you know when water has infiltrated your hull.

Ok I have to ask. Were very new to boating and have had our 242 LS for a few months. Is it necessary to buy a 2nd bulge pump? Also, really dumb question I know but is the bulge pump on the 242 LS automatic? I always thought it was but recently was told it wasn't. Meant to contact the dealer but just haven't yet to find out for sure.

The bilge pump on your 242 is automatic. Please turn it on before you launch and off after you recover your boat.

I have never needed the bilge pump on my boat and hope I never do. It occasionally runs after a rain or rough water. But I felt better having two as we crossed the gulf stream.

Our boats are self bailing and most water splashed or rained in will go out through the scupper without any need for pumping.

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate your help. Yea my wife wanted to do the crossing this summer in our boat with a couple that had crossed last year. I'm just not comfortable doing it yet, even with somebody experienced.

Hey Guys.... I pulled the cleanout tray this evening in prep for my LED install. I was thinking while the tray was open, might as well put the new pump in there... Well, I think I might just put it next to the existing one as @Boat Crazy suggests. Right in the middle under the tray where I would put the pump is a water box. I really do not want to open a can of worms to remove the water box to put a pump in.

I think adding a second bilge in the engine compartment would be easier for me anyways.

I plan on wiring it to a new custom switch i ordered from http://newwiremarine.com/ Thanks @Skysurfer2010

Back