• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge Pump

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a rookie question for my 2011 Yamaha 242 Limited S. Is my bilge pump automatic? Should I always keep it on while in the water?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a rookie question for my 2011 Yamaha 242 Limited S. Is my bilge pump automatic? Should I always keep it on while in the water?
Have you read the manual? Some of the older boats had their bilge pumps wired differently than the late model boats.. refer to the manual for proper operation. There are two modes of operation, auto and manual, each should have its own source.

And yes, it should always be on when on the water…

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
is your bilge pump original ??

until you answer that we can't give you good guidance,

The best guidance for a rookie is to know YOUR boat, there's no telling what a previous owner might have done,

my 2007 the bilge power is a on the dash, when powered on, it cycle's every few minutes and if it senses water (increased pressure to turn the pump) it continues to run until the resistance (water) is gone,

on my boat if I listen closely without the engines running I can hear it cycle,

I ALWAYS power the bilge before cranking the engines to off load from the trailer and never touch it again until the trailer is out of the water,o

One time we rented a cabin and I turned the bilge off over night figuring the only water intrusion at that point would be through hull fittings which is very minimal seepage, I did check it after 4 hours and found it still dry so I felt relatively comfortable for the nights,

Jet boats use lake water for cooling, if one of your cooling lines comes loose it a short trip to having a sunk boat as more power means more water dumping into your engine compartment and if you driving you may not notice the bilge working,

2 suggestions,
1. a secondary bilge pump located at a different level so if you see that one working you know you have an issue,
2. a high water alarm, these are really inexpensive and could give you notice if you loose a cooling hose underway,

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would test it to see what it does with the switch off and then on. That will answer your question.