• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bad radio signal after amp installed.

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,

Radio (FM) was working fine until I plug the RCA output into my amp. Works fine if I unplug it, but instantly lose signal when I plug it back. I've tried to move the wires around a bit but no help. Anyone else has this issue?

TIA

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Which brand and model of amplifier?

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
JL 250/1 and Kenwoods kac-m3004
Doesn't matter which amp I connect to. Instant loss of signal.

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll check that out and report back. Thanks

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Loss of FM signal is not uncommon in boats and even some cars when adding an amplifier. The DC to AC to DC high-speed switching power supplies can emit a great deal of high frequency interference. Class G amplifiers are especially bad. A few decades ago, amplifiers could even interfere with electronic braking systems when the amplifier and braking module were in too close of proximity. In a car you might have a HU and antenna up front with a metal bulkhead separating and partially isolating the rear mounted amplifier. Not so in a small boat.
However, from your description I suspect that the audio system may be needing an improvement in the ground scheme.

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will try to tap HU ground into my ground distribution block to see if it helps.

Thank you!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are the deck and the amps grounded at the same point? For a start i would suggest cutting off the factory deck ground wire and re running it to the common amp ground. Hope this helps. Cam.

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's my plan once I have sometime this weekend.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's my plan once I have sometime this weekend.
Kevin any luck with this fix? Just finished wiring in two amps, radio worked fine before, but now just static. Amps are grounded to a distribution block and then direct to house battery negative.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same issue after installing my amp. I also played around with ground jumpers but it didn’t seem to help. Good thing I use my iPod all the time anyway. Now I just need the Wetsounds A Link so my boat buds can use my playlist too.

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kevin any luck with this fix? Just finished wiring in two amps, radio worked fine before, but now just static. Amps are grounded to a distribution block and then direct to house battery negative.
I haven’t had a chance to fix it yet. I don’t usually use the radio so I haven’t try.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How is this possible?????!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I usually have my phone plugged in and use Spotify for my music. :)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How is this possible?????!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I usually have my phone plugged in and use Spotify for my music. :)
Gotcha......radio as in FM ( as I see up top now ) not as radio referring to it as a source unit for all audio output. I thought you were boating with no music at all.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any updates on this? My reception is still very sketchy after the amp install. I moved the antenna and played with grounds but it didn’t really help.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
nope, still sucks for me. Even tried an amplified antenna mounted away from the amps.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@David Analog per usual is spot on. Most likley the pwm in the amps. I don’t have any issue with my jl amps. Before trying anything with the antenna I would try shielded rca cables. Keep in mind this may not help much but it will certainly help the entire system some if you have that much emi going on. True Shielded speaker wire with for in wall home use may also help.
Here are some budget effective rcas to try.
Monoprice 102869 3' Premium 2 RCA Plug to 2 RCA Plug 22AWG Cable - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JTV7UM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_7uD3AbCPQKN65