• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast on 2018 242xe

Ryan123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Going to surf tomorrow for the first time on the new boat. Do i fill the the center and port side full and leave starboard empty? Or fill all the bags

Thanks
Ps we surf port side

Nealg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ryan nice boat. I just spent that last several days surfing at lake norman and was able to ride without the rope with just the surf side ballast full. I also was able to stay in the wave without a rope for 5+ seconds when I had "human" ballast (several kiddos) all sitting on the rear platform seating. I am going to look to buy a 750+lb ballast and add that to the rear deck and see how that affects the wake. Currently I am not pleased with the wake it creates. 10mph was the sweet spot. I played with 8-12 and 10 was best for me.

Mohamed Z Sherif

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ryan nice boat. I just spent that last several days surfing at lake norman and was able to ride without the rope with just the surf side ballast full. I also was able to stay in the wave without a rope for 5+ seconds when I had "human" ballast (several kiddos) all sitting on the rear platform seating. I am going to look to buy a 750+lb ballast and add that to the rear deck and see how that affects the wake. Currently I am not pleased with the wake it creates. 10mph was the sweet spot. I played with 8-12 and 10 was best for me.
750lb on top of what the X got?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ballast placement on the X isn't right for wake surfing. If you are serious you need one of our Wake Wedges and one of our 870 pound ballast bags. Just do a search.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Long time skier and wakeboarder just getting into surfing as well. I have 400lb bags in the back of each storage area and a 800 lb bag in the ski locker so basically the same as a stock 242x. Found the best wave was with all bags full, one passenger wearing a life jacket sitting on the sirf side swim deck seat and two passengers on the surf side rear cabin seat. Big hyperlite landlocked board I have is super floaty and helped us all go ropeless for a bit. My wave needs a longer pocket at a minimum and a deeper pocket would be good too. @jcyamaharider products do help substantially from what I have read. Surf related items will be on my wish list for santa this year. Tower speakers and amp are high on the list along with a wedge and a seat sack.

To be honest I got bored with the surfing quick the other day and just had to get on the wakeboard. Did mostly salmon and surface stuff on the board but I wore out quickly and could still feel my back and neck tweaked from the hard cuts. spending more time switch seems to help even out the muscle fatigue but it is getting time for me to bow out of the stuff that hurts and learn to mellow out.