• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast pump or impeller shot in 212x - help?

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So yesterday we were coming back from a boat trip and my daughter was driving. Phone was in the holder by the ballast switch and without me knowing she pushed on the phone to enlarge the screen because we were using a boating app. When we got back I noticed the light on and said "Oh NO" - looked at the ballast bags and they were like quarter filled and filled up with air.

I tried running back out and hitting the ballast empty switch and it was making a funny sound. Like a whine. Then I tried hitting the ballast fill switch and rode at idle for awhile and no water came in the bags. Im assuming impeller in ballast pump is shot.

Does anyone know where the pump is and if it can be accessed?

Probable replacement of whole pump or just impeller?

Anyway to get the water out without a ballast pump?

Should I shut the valve to bags for safety?

Amazing when I googled the issue no one has ever posted about frying the ballast pump. I can't be the only one who's done this... THX in advance.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There might be something stuck in the pump.

Your pump should be under your engine hatch.

I would pull the pump and then replace the impeller. They foul easy anyways.

You should be able to disconnect your bag and get the water out, then I would vacuum down the bag and reattach to the ballast line.

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply! Do you think I could leave the water in the bag till I fix the pump? And then simply pump out the water? There is a bunch of air in the bags though. I wonder if when you pump out the air would escape out?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply! Do you think I could leave the water in the bag till I fix the pump? And then simply pump out the water? There is a bunch of air in the bags though. I wonder if when you pump out the air would escape out?
I wouldn't you don't want to run the pump impeller dry if you can help it.

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder if anyone has removed the bags and can offer any tips. When I reach to the back of the bag (aft of boat) where it presumable connects I couldn't get my hands back there since the air in the bag was pretty filled up. Where is the actual connection and what type of connection to the bags is it? THX

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wonder if anyone has removed the bags and can offer any tips. When I reach to the back of the bag (aft of boat) where it presumable connects I couldn't get my hands back there since the air in the bag was pretty filled up. Where is the actual connection and what type of connection to the bags is it? THX
It's a waterbed fitting. If you can reach it, the hose side unscrews from the fitting. The hose is attached with a hose clamp. On the port side, remove the black access hatch, and you can get your arm down to where you need to be. Honestly, if you use ballast at all, do yourself a favor, and just cut the hose as close to the fitting as you can. Pull the bag out, do what you need to do, and then replace the fittings with flo-rite from wakemakers.com. Also, you can replace the access hatch with one with a lid, so you don't have to unscrew it, and you can cut in one to match on the other side. The waterbed fittings will crack and leak if they haven't already, and the access hatch will make your life easier down the road. Cheap, simple, and very effective mods.
*****Main wiring harness for both engines runs behind the plywood wall on the starboard side of the engine bay. Mine were zip tied and screwed to the backside of the panel about half way up, so be careful if you're in that area.*****

Attachments

Last edited:

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Scottie where did you get the access hatch? I have a hell of a time get mine bags in and out for winter storage! I like not having to unscrew the access.

Thanks

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Scottie where did you get the access hatch? I have a hell of a time get mine bags in and out for winter storage! I like not having to unscrew the access.
It really makes it much easier. I put flo-rite quick connects on my bags so I can reach in the hatch with one hand and pop them loose. The hatch I got fits in the factory hole on the port side with just a little trimming. You'll have to cut a new hole on the starboard side, and if you do, be very careful of the wiring, I almost made a big mistake when I did mine.

Last edited:

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks I’ll have to order them... I’ve been resorting to the neighbor kid who is long and skinny and old enough to understand! This is so much easier looking! And and some point he will grow and no longer fit too!

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm going to do this flo-rite thing. Does anyone know if the 2014 212x hoses for the ballast bags are 3/4" or 1"? THX!

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I may still have my factory bags in the garage. I'll look this evening.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Try replacing the impellor in the pump.
View attachment 96741View attachment 96742
Don't need them yet, but I'm stock piling a few common parts for the new boat, fittings, fuses and now impellers. Pretty much anything that could ruin a weekend at the cabin. Could you provide links to where you got these? Are they the same on a 2018 242x? If not I'll do the research myself, but always looking for shortcuts. Thanks!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't need them yet, but I'm stock piling a few common parts for the new boat, fittings, fuses and now impellers. Pretty much anything that could ruin a weekend at the cabin. Could you provide links to where you got these? Are they the same on a 2018 242x? If not I'll do the research myself, but always looking for shortcuts. Thanks!
I would say - if nothing else works - if you contact WakeMakers and give them specifics of your pump they will most likely be able to immediately help you. I found them knowledgeable, responsive, and helpful, for the most part.

--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
WakeMakers is a great store. Take your business there.

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got into this job today and I was wondering if someone could offer more help on the bag removal of my 2014 212x? I can't get to the back of the bag to disattach it. Too much air in bag and too far back. Where is this access point? As I read this thread it seems there is one on the port side but I can't find any access. And also how would I access on the starboard side?

My boat does not look like the picture that Scottie provided...

Is there a thought to cut a slit in these bags from the visible top, squish air out of it, leaving only the water in it, then patch the slit and pump out remaining water with the new impeller and pump working?

Along with my depth finder not working problem and this ballast bag filled with air and impeller broken problem I have now found 2 issues that I, seemingly, am the only person to have these exact problems. No-one has posted about these in internet land before. Just venting... THX

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wouldn’t cut into the bag... what about disconnecting the water line that runs from the pump to the bag in the engine compartment and push the bag to force air and probably some water out that way?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a thought to cut a slit in these bags from the visible top, squish air out of it, leaving only the water in it, then patch the slit and pump out remaining water with the new impeller and pump working?
That is a non starter.
If nothing else works, I would disconnect the hose at the pump and let the air out. Or remove the pump impeller, same difference. I do not believe you have backup valves, the revesible pumps function as valves.

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I brought my neighbor down to the boat and he's quite handy and we took off the cover to the pump to expose the impeller and it was in fine shape. It was by accident that my friend pushed on a bag and we saw/heard air and water come out of pump. We squished the bags and almost all the air and some water came out of the pump through the impeller. We just kept squishing the bags until all we felt was the remaining water. It turns out the suggestions above were what we stumbled upon. The cover to the pump creates a seal that air cannot escape (or water).

Then we fired up the boat and while under power I hit the empty ballast button. I let it go for awhile and then reduced to idle and I heard the weird sound to the pump. Turned it off, turned the boat off, inspected the bags and they had a lot less water. My guess was maybe the pump was still dealing with some air. I figured maybe by going at that speed when the bow lifts but does not plane the remaining water might push to the back of bags. I hit empty ballast again took a chance it was voiding water and finally the light flashed. Stopped engine inspected bags and both were empty. First battle won.

Next session I will see if they fill properly. Bags seem to be without air. When I tried to fill with water and the bags were filled with air (2 weeks ago) they would not fill and pump made seriously sick sound. I will report back and thx to all for chiming in.