• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast set up for wake surfing- question (2016 AR240)

James T

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone, we recently traded in our AR190 for a 2016 AR240 and took it out for the first time this weekend. Love the boat! I had a question about my ballast set up... I've read through this and several other forums but could use some advice. I'm a big guy @ 240 lbs and am trying to surf without a rope. I'm an experienced surfer (ocean) and want to set my boat up the right way. After reading through this forum I bought (2) 350 lb bags, (1) 800 lb bag, and (2) 540 lb bags. I also purchased the wake wedge and bought an inland surfer red rocket board.

I put 800 lbs in the passenger rear seat and 540 lbs on the rear deck to start and was able to get a nice shaped wave... it just wasn't enough push to keep me going without the rope. (I didn't get to experiment with other bags and placements because a storm came along and we had to head back home).

Is it normal to have the corner of the back swim platform under water? Any issues with that?

We typically have 2 kids on the boat and my wife driving so not a lot of additional weight.

Any advice on set up would be greatly appreciated. I've seen videos and pictures of others surfing rope-less so I know it can work... just anxious to figure it out. Thanks!

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I weigh in around 215 and surf on a red rocket too. First of all experience helps. I don't expect most people to be able to go ropeless their first time out. However, I think your going to need/want more weight in your boat if you want to go ropeless. I know it seems crazy but you really need 2000-3000lbs in my experience.

I usually have... On my SX230
750 swim platform center
750 under or on the seat surf side
750-1000 on the floor surf side.
350 in the bow surf side.

Yesterday I tried the 350 in the ski locker but I like it in the bow better. Still had a good wave but I've had it longer. Here's a shot from yesterday on Lake Simcoe. No passengers just ballast.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@James T
Glad to have you on board,
Just keep trying different set ups, it is normal to have the back corner in the water, some have it shin deep,
I never felt like I could go ropeless holding on, always back and forth, the boat pulling me then accelerating but never finding the sweet spot,
Once I finally decided to let go I found it to be a much different feeling and much easier to keep my momentum,

James T

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you both for your reply and advice! My wave definitely did not look like the one in the picture posted... I'll add more ballast this coming weekend and try different configurations.

Thanks again!

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm surprised more people haven't replied. If you use the search function I'm sure you will find numerous posts regarding ballast set up.