• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast Setup for 215ID without factory ballast

TheDonVon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
So I know this topic has been discussed a few times but I want to try and have the discussion and document specific information and ballast bag sizes and recommended setups for the 215ID without a factory ballast setup. Many of us have boats without factory ballast and want to improve the wave behind the boat.

So from the research I have done this far, here is what my current thoughts are for ballast bags, placement and considerations for still having space on the boat for people and cooler when having a day on the water with friends/family.

Rear Ballast:
  • 1 bag under each rear side seat, get a custom size to fit the compartment (still need to measure) figure this will get at least 300lb per side.
  • 1 800lb bag on rear swim platform (doesn't this get in the way when changing surfers and getting surfers back in the boat from the water? Any better placement than just on the swim platform?
Front Ballast:
  • Move cooler from swim platform to floor in front
  • 1 650 lb triangle bow bag up front on the seats with cooler supporting the middle
Mid boat:
  • No ballast bags, just passengers
  • Add ballast to ski locker?
From my research seems like rear ballast is the absolute most important, the one thing I am struggling with is how to setup a rear ballast to get the weight you want without having the hassle of ballast bags being in the way of you and your passengers.

What are your guys setups? How would you modify what I have above? Please remember this is for a boat WITHOUT factory ballast.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a 212S Yamaha - but my ballast is 750lbs on the rear deck, 750lbs in the ski locker, and a 500lb bag on the rear floor.

TheDonVon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Also want to discuss what kind of wake shaper to use? The factory one from scarab worth the money or do any of the aftermarket ones work well?