• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast system

Stanfna

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
On the 2024 255XD, did Yamaha go back to bags for the two rear ballast? I thought the earlier models had hard plastic boxes for the rear ballast so you could overfill them and the excess would flow out the side of the boat...right? If they used the plastic bags on 2024, can you still overfill them and have the excess flow out the side of the boat?

Thanks!

NoodleFish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Picking mine up next Saturday. Interested in these answers.

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes the 2024 has Ballast Bags in all locations. If memory servers the pumps shut off automatically when full but I could be wrong. I did not test mine that closely. Unfortunately mine is back at the dealer getting warranty work done and the manual is in the boat. I remember a section explaining the Filling and Un-filling of the Ballast. Certainly something I will be testing once I get her back.

NoodleFish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes the 2024 has Ballast Bags in all locations. If memory servers the pumps shut off automatically when full but I could be wrong. I did not test mine that closely. Unfortunately mine is back at the dealer getting warranty work done and the manual is in the boat. I remember a section explaining the Filling and Un-filling of the Ballast. Certainly something I will be testing once I get her back.
what warrantable work are you having to get done??

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pumps are on a timer, not some sort of float switch. They all would need to have an overflow

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Pumps are on a timer, not some sort of float switch. They all would need to have an overflow
Most likely. I could not remember seeing any overflow while filling when I was out a few months ago testing and getting to know the in's and out's of the boat. And of course the dealer is slooooooow and the weather is perfect to be out in AZ.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I will say huge fan of the bags, this allows for storage when not used. Hard tanks in my opinion only make sense when they are below the deck and don’t take away from storage.

Stanfna

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I will say huge fan of the bags, this allows for storage when not used. Hard tanks in my opinion only make sense when they are below the deck and don’t take away from storage.
Agreed!

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
On the 2024 255XD, did Yamaha go back to bags for the two rear ballast? I thought the earlier models had hard plastic boxes for the rear ballast so you could overfill them and the excess would flow out the side of the boat...right? If they used the plastic bags on 2024, can you still overfill them and have the excess flow out the side of the boat?

Thanks!
looks like in the parts breakdown its still hard tanks. I prefer the hard tanks because the reach all the way to the back to position the weight optimal.

let us know when u get boat if they changed.

I always overfill mine after they run the timer out, I prob get an additional 100lbs or so of weight.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
looks like in the parts breakdown its still hard tanks. I prefer the hard tanks because the reach all the way to the back to position the weight optimal.

let us know when u get boat if they changed.

I always overfill mine after they run the timer out, I prob get an additional 100lbs or so of weight.
edit....just watched a walk thru video. looks like bags now. they have a big wall built to contain the bag. Port side looks a lil sloppy. Ill take hard tanks, less stuff to go wrong and that space isn't the easiest to store stuff, where do u move it when its time to use.

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Here are some photos of the 2024 255XD Ballast Bags. I did trace overflow lines connected to the Ski Locker and Rear Bags. The Bags under the side/rear seats (1 next to batteries) are connected in-line to the Rear Bags in the Engine Compartment.

On my first outings and fillings I had some drip/leaks at the Bag Hose Clamps and at the Pumps. They have all since been re-seated and tightened.

Headed out tomorrow to double check everything and will test the overflow. I will get some video of the wake as well showing stock ballast.

Attachments