• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Box or Tray?

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
We are adding a second battery to our Scarab 215 for the stereo. About the only place is either under one of the rear side seats, or maybe the port console. I am sure there will be things stored in both places, should we get a battery box or is a tray usually sufficient with “boots” on the posts?

Having just taken delivery we have no idea how to organize all the required things yet. And since the stereo upgrade is going in before we try to organize, it’s a guessing game of how it will work out.

TY!!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would say either is fine as long as you have it mounted firmly in place (not moving) and the battery's strapped in.
Consider what wires and cables and fuses and dual battery setup, DVRs etc. you will be running, it may effect the placement choices. The ground of all batteries will usually need to be connected together, and if you have a good stereo setup - all amps and the HU should have a common ground path, or you will be chasing noise forever...
Just some thoughts.
(a search of "hum" + "stereo" + member name "@Mainah" will get you a wealth of info on that, lol)

--

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
TY!!!

Definitely running the ground over to the start battery.

Should make it easier running the hu off the same power since we are upgrading the hu ad well.

Really, it will only be two amps, either both 6ch or a 6ch and sub amp along with the head unit.

TY again!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would do the tray because routing the cables inside the box is trickier, same for removal and reinstall of battery.

A humble thought.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I would do the tray because routing the cables inside the box is trickier, same for removal and reinstall of battery.
A humble thought.
That’s a good point.

Especially being that it’s wiring for a stereo.

Wonder if I or the stereo dealer can find a tray since the boat goes in tmrw.

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would say either is fine as long as you have it mounted firmly in place (not moving) and the battery's strapped in.
Consider what wires and cables and fuses and dual battery setup, DVRs etc. you will be running, it may effect the placement choices. The ground of all batteries will usually need to be connected together, and if you have a good stereo setup - all amps and the HU should have a common ground path, or you will be chasing noise forever...
Just some thoughts.
(a search of "hum" + "stereo" + member name "@Mainah" will get you a wealth of info on that, lol)

--
When adding an amp, is there a way to tie into the ground wire for the MR-17 head unit? Or do I have to run a 4 gauge from amp to battery for ground?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When adding an amp, is there a way to tie into the ground wire for the MR-17 head unit? Or do I have to run a 4 gauge from amp to battery for ground?
I would think about it the other way around.

The head unit factory power wires are not of sufficient gauge even for a class D micro amp, so the head unit ground may be better connected to the new gauge 4 wire.

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, Got it. Thanks for that!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One other consideration, what will be stored in those compartments? Both of my batteries are in a single compartment in trays, but that will forever by a dry storage area. If there will be a chance that anything could be wet or slide and possibly bridge the posts, I'd want them in a box.