• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery connections for 3 battery setup

dcnorman07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry for another battery post, but I really want to make sure I get this right and have not seen another setup like this.

I will be picking up my first boat in a week or 2 and have been struggling with the battery setup. I'm getting a 2014 AR192 that is pretty much all stock with the addition of tower speakers and an amp.

I have done a TON of research on the battery setup and think I am finally at the point to where I have it figured out, but would really like some confirmation. This is my result of trying to piece together what I have learned.

I want to have 3 batteries (1 as the start battery and 2 deep cycle batteries ran in parallel). These will be connected to a switch (Off, 1, 2, combine). I am also going to get a 3 bank onboard charger from Minn Kota. I will be installing a 2nd amp for a 12" subwoofer.

So my questions are:

1) All power wires (including the amps) go to the Common post on the switch so regardless of the switch position there will be power, correct?
2) Is my wiring diagram correct?
3) It is my understanding that anytime the boat is out moving, the switch should be on position #1. Then when we are anchored, the switch gets moved to position #2. Only use the Combine position in an emergency. Is this the correct way to use the switch?

Attachments

• You_Doodle_2017-06-02T17_42_47Z.jpg
    You_Doodle_2017-06-02T17_42_47Z.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 42
Do yourself a favor, ditch the 1,2,combine switch and get a Blue Seas 7653 with the ACR charger. https://www.bluesea.com/products/7653/Mini-Add-A-Battery_Plus_Kit_-_65A_Bare_Wire

or if you are getting a 3 bank charger get the Blue Sea 7649 https://www.bluesea.com/products/7649/Mini_Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_65A

That way, the stators in your engines will charge all your batteries under way and you can separate your house from your start yet still run them at the same time..

a 1, 2, combine switch is designed to run all your boat power needs on one battery at a time while keeping the batteries separated so you always have a spare, the kits I posted above keep the start and house circuits separated and will charge all batteries concurrently.

You are correct all of yours loads will get connected to the common post, you will also want to connect all of your battery negatives together. I run 2 deep cycle batteries since our boats don't really need the cranking amps of a start battery. I use the same switch as you described and switch the battery switch each outing. I have over 1700 watts of power between 2 amps and only use 1 battery to power them and never had an issue.

I think 3 batteries will be a little overkill unless you're going crazy with amps, speakers, lights and maybe a small fridge. Get a good deep cycle battery and you should be fine

Back