• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Issue

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Quick question?

I recently just put my batteries back in for the season after charging them back up. When installed, everything seems to work fine, except when i turn off the main switch, engines will continue to run. No issues when using the keys? Shut off fine. Is this normal for them to continue running? I thought the main switch would kill eveything if turned to the off position? I have daul batteries, and it does this in Position 1, 2 or Combined 1&2. Not sure if this has done it in the past 5 seasons or not? I was just messing around when i realized it does this...

Also, battery 1 isnt holding a charge for very long. It died on us out last weekend after very limited use, floating. Switched to number 2 for rest of the day and no issues. Related? Is something hooked up wrong creating an unnecessary draw? Battery is about 2 years old, charged after every use.

Thanks!!!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once running, the magnetos provide electrical current for ignition regardless of a battery connection. That current is only interrupted by the ignition switch or a problem with the magneto so I believe that to be normal.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
But you do NOT want to turn off the batteries with the engines running!!! It can be damaging to the entire engine electrical system and wiring harness...because your killing the computer controls!!! The ECM needs the battery, as does the charging system. I doubt you did any damage, but I would caution against turning off the battery switch with engines running.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@txav8r ........... EXCELLENT advice for all of us, Mel.

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Thanks guys!!! Just wanted to make sure all was good. Its definitley not something I would do all of the time, or ever for that matter, since it took 5 years for me to do it the first time!!!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I figured! We all do things accidentally we didn't intend to! For instance, the "new to me" motorhome, is home and plugged in currently to 110 20A service. It should run most house systems except the A/C units. Well, I noticed it making a sound I couldn't place and attributed it to just being new to me without further investigation. I didn't turn on any systems switches yet as we haven't do anything with it...yet, the water heater electric and gas were on...it was the propane heating the tank, that is drained!!! My Discovery forum tells me it probably burnt out the electric heater element. But I went and flipped it on, and it drew 10A so I am guessing it is still good, thank goodness!