• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery maintenance

MattSX1902012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I purchased a 3A battery charger / maintainer. Everything seems to be working smoothly until I read the instructions.

It says when charging a boat battery, remove the battery as this requires special equipment. But you can charge directly into a car. Is this if the boat is in the water?

Can I just clap to the battery in place and charge it?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I purchased a 3A battery charger / maintainer. Everything seems to be working smoothly until I read the instructions.

It says when charging a boat battery, remove the battery as this requires special equipment. But you can charge directly into a car. Is this if the boat is in the water?

Can I just clap to the battery in place and charge it?
Did you purchase a marine grade charger? I personally use a battery tender brand maintainer (not specifically for marine use) for the past 5 years while the batteries are on the boat in a lift at the lake with no issue at all.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use a car / motorcycle maintainer in yard on trailer with no issues. I turn batteries of at Blue See Add-a-Battery switch, plug in and leave it.

Been doing this for years with no issues.

MattSX1902012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. It's a general battery charger. I'm going to go with it.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone have experience with any outdoor rated chargers? I'm trying to figure out my solution for my boat which will be kept in dry storage at the marina. Thinking an outdoor since it will still get wet, and while covered by the building, it's still open air. Theres a 8 amp Stanley one for like 30 bucks I've been looking at.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I current use a ProSport onboard charger which may be an option. It stays permanently attached to the boat.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just throw whatever 3 stage charger i have into the boat, or under the hood on outdoor cars. Don't overthink this.

OhioCop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought a small lithium jumper for my Boat battery’s and it’s not jumping my battery’s . Does anyone have a recommendation for a good marine battery jump starter that is maybe rechargeable
that will jump a totally dead battery? I went to a few automotive stores and they were clueless.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Totally dead may be just that; have you checked the electrolyte levels in the cells? A cheap hydrometer from the auto parts store will work. The lead plates in the battery can get a layer of sulfate that prevents electron flow, so it may take a 'desulfation' charge to wake up a 'mostly dead' battery. Good luck!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Totally dead requires old school jumpers. all the new ones have a safety feature where they don't output voltage until they sense voltage. If there battery is below about 9 they don't turn on. You need the transformer kind that spark when you touch the leads together. But, if your battery is below 8 or 9v, is probably trash. I did partially recover an agm battery in my Jeep that was at 4v, but I'll be replacing it very soon.

OhioCop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Totally dead requires old school jumpers. all the new ones have a safety feature where they don't output voltage until they sense voltage. If there battery is below about 9 they don't turn on. You need the transformer kind that spark when you touch the leads together. But, if your battery is below 8 or 9v, is probably trash. I did partially recover an agm battery in my Jeep that was at 4v, but I'll be replacing it very soon.
Thank u

OhioCop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Totally dead may be just that; have you checked the electrolyte levels in the cells? A cheap hydrometer from the auto parts store will work. The lead plates in the battery can get a layer of sulfate that prevents electron flow, so it may take a 'desulfation' charge to wake up a 'mostly dead' battery. Good luck!
Thank u
thank u