• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Question

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My house battery is shot, so going to need to replace it this spring when getting the boat ready. I plan to upgrade to the next size up and an AGM, but I'm curious if I need to (should) change the starting battery to an AGM as well. I maintain the batteries with a ProSport 12, and it seems the charger will use the same charging profile for either a leaded battery or an AGM.

Any thoughts on mixing battery types?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I don't think it matters; current is current. The Pro 12 should detect which battery type you have. I have this same charger with 2 AGM deep cycle batteries. Don't really need a starter and a house. That's what I did. No issues at all.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Browsing recently I have been impressed with the greater capacity of the AGM batteries as advertised. in some cases more than double the electricity storage vs. the cheapest marine dual that I purchased for $80 at Costco.

I think it will depend on your usage. If you play loud music at anchor for long periods perhaps it makes sense for you to splurge on AGM.

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If the charger is only a single battery charger then both batteries should be identical in specifications.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If the charger is only a single battery charger then both batteries should be identical in specifications.
I agree with you. Good point. His is a double bank. He should be fine.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep, dual channel (and it uses same profile for leaded vs AGM). Definitely going larger AGM for the house battery as we do a lot of extended floats with the stereo going.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What size / brand are you AGM guys using?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Optima blue top for house. And Duracell from Sams club for starting. Group 27
Went with the Duracell first got credit from the dealer on the ones they were going to put in there.
took one out for my dump trailer and forgot about it.
On a trip paid about $375 for the Optima blue top but had no choice I was in Southampton And only had 1 battery.
Duracell worked great and was around $150. And still works great for starting.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had two Duracell type 27's in our 242 for the past two seasons, and they hold up really well. I put the same pair in my Floe Lift. Your mileage may vary, as we only run one 1000w JL amp for our 6 speakers and 2 subs.

But on the cranking side, don't waste any money on a monster battery. Waverunner engines take nothing to spin over. Especially if you have a dual bank charger that will charge any format. Think of how many Duracells you can for one OPtima blue top, and never utilize it to it's full potential.

You are set! Now don't forget that thru hull outlet for the charger. I love having that convenience!

Good luck,

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to add a second battery and concerned about charging. I have two amps (HTX1, HTX4) that I'd run off the new house battery. My concern is will the engines provide enough charge while running around to top these back off? My plan (at least for this season) is to keep the boat in rack storage so I have no access to power to charge while not in use. There's a chance I might be able to rig up some solar solution as the rack is only covered on top, but I'd never know which way the boat is going to face.

How do you guys keep them topped off without access to power?

I also planned on running the VHF/Chartplotter off the house battery. While underway, will the engines keep these powered up or are they just going to kill the house battery? Losing the radio is one thing, but I'd hate to lose the VHF and need it. I'm running a blue sea add a battery so i could always goto both. I'd assume the charge controller with the add-a-battery will keep some amperage going to the house while the motors are running.

I'll have a jump pack permanently in the boat for emergencies.

One last dumb ? - in a twin, are both engines providing charge capacity?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No, these motors have no altrenator. The stator will maintain enough for starting purposes, but will never fully charge a deep cycle battery that is drained down from a stereo. It is required to top off those batteries on a regular basis.

In another thread, I talked about leaving a digital voltage readout on my batteries so that I can monitor them day to day. As once they reach a particular level, better quality amps have voltage protection and will flat out not turn on to protect circuitry. I would say I plug in my boat every few weekends. Your mileage may vary, as I have no idea how much radio time you use, or what you will have for amps. Stocker radios won't kill them too fast. That's why we only saw factory dual battery systems on the higher end boats in years past. I think that has changed.

Plan on charging, and if you can't then plan on dead batteries. Keep you house and starting isolated, so that you can always start and at least get some charge on them.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to add a second battery and concerned about charging. I have two amps (HTX1, HTX4) that I'd run off the new house battery. My concern is will the engines provide enough charge while running around to top these back off? My plan (at least for this season) is to keep the boat in rack storage so I have no access to power to charge while not in use. There's a chance I might be able to rig up some solar solution as the rack is only covered on top, but I'd never know which way the boat is going to face.

How do you guys keep them topped off without access to power?

I also planned on running the VHF/Chartplotter off the house battery. While underway, will the engines keep these powered up or are they just going to kill the house battery? Losing the radio is one thing, but I'd hate to lose the VHF and need it. I'm running a blue sea add a battery so i could always goto both. I'd assume the charge controller with the add-a-battery will keep some amperage going to the house while the motors are running.

I'll have a jump pack permanently in the boat for emergencies.

One last dumb ? - in a twin, are both engines providing charge capacity?
Solar solution is meant as a trickle charge and will not keep up with the drain of those amps. Ask me how I know.

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like my only option is to bring the house battery home and charge it up.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You can probably run a extension cord over from somewhere in the marina for a night once in a while

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Honda eu 1000 or 2000 has a battery charger plug that works very fast. They are alternators

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s stored in a rack and since it has a tower they put it up top. I do have an EU2000, but it weighs about the same as the battery, might as well bring it home

might just end up keeping it at home next year after I see how the season goes

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Get the battery charger option cord and throw that bitch on the boat for a while you’ll never run out of power

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No, these motors have no altrenator. The stator will maintain enough for starting purposes, but will never fully charge a deep cycle battery that is drained down from a stereo. It is required to top off those batteries on a regular basis.
Anyone have current ratings for the charging system on these 1.8L engines? I notice you called it a stator, but Yamaha parts list calls it a generator. Same thing basically as an alternator (just placement of rectifier for AC-DC conversion).

It doesn't seem right to have a deep cycle marine battery in a boat but a charging system that can't fully recharge the battery system in a reasonable time.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone have current ratings for the charging system on these 1.8L engines? I notice you called it a stator, but Yamaha parts list calls it a generator. Same thing basically as an alternator (just placement of rectifier for AC-DC conversion).

It doesn't seem right to have a deep cycle marine battery in a boat but a charging system that can't fully recharge the battery system in a reasonable time.
Sadly it is true. We do have stators. They suck at charging. Hence most of us have the onboard chargers.

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I was thinking the same - There must be some excess amperage available. If a single engine can keep a battery up with normal use, you would think a twin would provide twice the capacity. I'm not expected the engines to completely recharge a depleted deep cycle in an hour.. but i'd hope after several hours of water sports it would significantly bring a lightly depleted battery to full.

Not sure this is the right math, but for the MR-1 (1.0) below, the math would be A = 13/.29 = 44amp on the low side, unless i'm missing something.

1581690928451.png

Data from a 2019 212X
1581691371342.png